Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 09:27 AM   #1

5th Wheel Hitch

So our house just sold in less than one day on the market and we will be buying our 5th wheel soon. I just got a 2016 F350 that is 5th prepped so now I need a hitch. I am a first time 5th wheel owner so would like some recommendations please.

The 5er we're looking for will be about 14K. What should I be looking for in a hitch?

I'll need it by 1 July when we close.

I appreciate any help!

Jon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 09:55 AM   #2

I have helped with the install of three of the B&W companion hitches and was highly impressed with quality of construction. There are many others that may be as good, but this is what I am familiar with.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:57 AM   #3

A 16K hitch would have enough capacity, but they generally don't have very much articulation, and tend to have a simple bar clasp rather than real jaws. You should probably looking at 18k or 20k hitches.

A reasonably priced option with good features is the Reese 20k Pro Series..

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:44 AM   #4

OK good, I've been looking at the B&W Companion in the 18k to 20k range, good to know I'm at least on the right track!

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2016, 04:59 PM   #5

This in the Ford puck version! Simple solid construction no question if you are hitched or not. 100% US Made, REESE Mexico/China and Curt China.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:41 PM   #6

Evergreen Owners Club
B&W companion hitch!
powermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:01 AM   #7

Take a look at the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection. I'm very happy with mine.

Happy trails,
Old 06-01-2016, 01:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
A 16K hitch would have enough capacity, but they generally don't have very much articulation, and tend to have a simple bar clasp rather than real jaws. You should probably looking at 18k or 20k hitches.

A reasonably priced option with good features is the Reese 20k Pro Series..

Joel

Strange.......

My 2006 Husky 16K hitch is a 4 way articulating hitch with wrap around jaw that has been flawless......traveled FT for 7 years moving weekly.
14K 5th wheel
Old 06-01-2016, 06:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Explorers View Post
Take a look at the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection. I'm very happy with mine.

Happy trails,

Is it the one that bends under hard braking if towing heavy?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:48 AM   #10

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the information.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkvance View Post
I just got a 2016 F350 that is 5th prepped so now I need a hitch. I am a first time 5th wheel owner so would like some recommendations please.

The 5er we're looking for will be about 14K. What should I be looking for in a hitch?
The obvious choice is the 5er itch that Ford sells as a factory option to match the 5er install kit that was factory installed in your truck. You can buy it from your Ford dealer's parts department, and get a decent price if you buy it from the same dealer that sold you the truck. Here it is from a discount Ford parts dealer: TRAILER HITCH for 2015 Ford F-350 Super Duty|FC3Z-19D520-A

But it's also sold by other sources as the Reese Elite 5er hitch system. It comes in three varities:

25k hitch for pickups with 8' beds.

18k hitch for pickups with 8' beds.

18k slider hitch for pickups wiith 6.5' beds.

You don't need the 25k capacity, and you probably don't need the slider, so the 18k hitch without the slider might be your best choice. Here it is on sale from E-Trailer.com:
Reese Elite 18k hitch

Not cheap, but it's the top of the line 5er hitch.

Reese makes at least four series (price and quality ranges) of 5er hitches.

The "economy" version is called the Pro series. You don't want one of those.

The next up version is simply called the Reese 5er hitch. Also called the Reese Classic series or maybe other names, but it is an excellent hitch that I used for over 10 years dragging my 5er all over the USA. Here's the one for your truck:
Reese Classic 16k 5er hitch

A relatively new design is called the Reese Titan. It's an updated version of the old Reese Classic. It's a bit less expensive than the Elite Series when you include the adapter kit to make it fit your Elite install kit:
Reese Titan 16k 5er hitch

Then the top of the line is the Reese Elite series. Nobody makes a better 5er hitch.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #12

My original Andersen was and it did. The slight bend did not effect the performance of the hitch, though and Andersen replaced it with the new design - no charge, no hassle, not even proof of purchase. Have towed with the new one once. Very pleased with it and would recommend it to my best friend.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #13

B&W. I have had people ride with me who tow with other brands and they are amazed at how smooth and quiet my hitch is. They want to know what I did to it to make it so quiet. Mine has worked flawlessly for over 6 years now. B&W is made in a place called America and they speak perfect American when you call them.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
in a place called America and they speak perfect American when you call them.
You just cracked up my whole office. "speak perfect American". Too funny. All of us here were born and bred in America speaking English.

Tags
5th wheel