Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2015, 08:55 PM   #1

5th wheel hitch mounting location

So I have a flatbed (herrin haulers) on my truck (03 dodge crew cab long box dually 4x4) and I'm looking to install a 24k reese fifth wheel hitch. I have read that you should install them anywhere from centered above the axle to 4" ahead. What would happen if I were to mount the hitch behind the center of the axle say 2, 4, or 6" behind the axle? Would I notice any difference?

If it makes any difference, I have a 37' fifth wheel (excel) that weighs in around 18k with all my goodies in it.

Thanks in advance, Otis.
otisd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #2

If you put that much weight behind the rear axle, you will be taking weight off of the front wheels. Whether or not that would adversely affect the handling in hard say. Why do you want to locate the hitch so far back/

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:40 AM   #3

"Industry standard" is 2" ahead of centerline of rear axle.

You really should looking the B&W hitch for flatbeds.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"Industry standard" is 2" ahead of centerline of rear axle.
Industry standard is the centerline of the kingpin is 4" ahead of the centerline of the rear axle. But that's with enough cab-to-axle (CA) length to do that and still have clearance between the cab and the front corner of the trailer on a tight turn. The 60" CA of a standard chassis cab truck is ideal. A pickup with an 8' bed has about 57" CA, and you can achieve the full 4" ahead of the axle with no problem.

But "shorty" pickups with 6.5" or shorter beds have to compromise. For a shorty bed, 2" ahead of the rear axle is still a decent location. Some installers even place the center of the kingpin directly over the rear axle. But nobody with two brain cells to rub together would install a fiver hitch so the center of the kingpin is behind the rear axle.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #5

http://www.herrinhauler.com/images/d...lerbed2008.bmp

I hope that link works. It's a link to the bed I have.

I understand placing the hitch behind the rear axle will change the weight distribution on the truck, I just don't know if it would be a noticeable change, that's why I'm asking this question.

I have an auxiliary tank on the bed and I'm concerned the trailer and tank may attempt to share the same space. Installing the hitch behind the axle would be the easiest/cheapest option, I just want to figure out if it's a safe option or not.

B&W makes a nice system with their turnover ball and companion hitch, but I don't see how that pertains to my question about the hitch mounting location.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp dodgeduallyhaulerbed2008.bmp (1.21 MB, 95 views)
Old 08-07-2015, 09:50 AM   #6

putting the hitch behind the rear axle would be very much noticeable... There is a reason no one does it.

I can't tell you exactly how much weight it will transfer as I have not done it, nor do I know anyone who ever has.

That is a great looking bed.. Doesn't it have a gooseneck hitch in it now? If so, can you utilize one of the great hitches that mount to the gooseneck, like a B&W companion, Bulldog hitch, or the Anderson hitch?
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #7

Putting the hitch behind the axle will take too much weight off the front, the tail would wag the dog and make for a very unpleasant driving experience plus the police would frown on it. Your trailer will put about 3600 lb on the pin, that load needs to be spread over both axles.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #8

Thank you all for the replies. My bed does have a gooseneck ball in it, but it's a fixed ball, and the only hitch I have found that actually attached to the ball is the Anderson, but the trough in the bed is not wide enough to accommodate the Anderson hitch. Also a different hitch won't change the amount of room I have between the trailer and auxiliary fuel tank. It's looking like I'll either just have to be extra careful when turning, or remove the tank. A slider could be an option, but I haven't found one that'll mount down in the trough, and I already have a 24k fixed position hitch.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #9

I realize this response doesn't help directly, but someone has to make a hitch... Its a hauler bed for christ sake.. there has to be a way to haul a 5er with the damn thing!

Someone on here has to be hauling 5ers with a hauler bed!
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #10

For a 1 ton dually the hitch needs to be either over the axle of in front of it IF possible. Most of the newer trucks don't have enough front end weight to allow moving the hitch rearward. You do not want to unload your front end.
Do you know how much pin weight you have? If its light enough you could move some, but you would have to measure it carefully, as in inches toward the rear.
Now all that being said, if you move up to and MDT or HDT then the hitch can move several feet behind the axle with little effect.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
Putting the hitch behind the axle will take too much weight off the front, the tail would wag the dog and make for a very unpleasant driving experience plus the police would frown on it. Your trailer will put about 3600 lb on the pin, that load needs to be spread over both axles.
I am a firm believer in placing the kingpin 2-4" ahead of center rear axle. But saying that with 5,900# pin with my B&W full forward I only add around 150# at the most to the front axle.

It's not as dramatic as one would think!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cat