Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #1

Hello everyone. New to the forum.

I have a 2006 F250 that I need to put a 5th wheel hitch in.

I was orginally thinking the hide a ball gooseneck with an adapter, but after reading the forums, I am beginning to rethink that that position.

I don't like the rails that come associated with the 5th wheel hitch. I have a bed liner (drop in), and would rather not cut a large section out to accomodate the rails. So my question is , are there any systems out there that have rails under the bed, and don't cost an arm and a leg? I am looking at spending $600 or so. Any recommendations?

A Smith

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #2

Hello everyone. New to the forum.

I have a 2006 F250 that I need to put a 5th wheel hitch in.

I was orginally thinking the hide a ball gooseneck with an adapter, but after reading the forums, I am beginning to rethink that that position.

I don't like the rails that come associated with the 5th wheel hitch. I have a bed liner (drop in), and would rather not cut a large section out to accomodate the rails. So my question is , are there any systems out there that have rails under the bed, and don't cost an arm and a leg? I am looking at spending $600 or so. Any recommendations?

A Smith

Old 04-20-2007, 05:49 AM   #3

Valley makes one that has the mounting rails under the bed. I don't have one so I can't attest to the quality.

Richard K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
While I strongly advise against using a gooseneck adapter that attaches to the 5th wheel pinbox, B&W manufactures a turnoverball gooseneck as well as an 18K rated, double pivot 5th wheel hitch that mounts off the gooseneck receiver. This provides the capability to tow either a gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer and leaves a clean bed when desired. More info HERE.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Pullrite has a Super Rail Mounting Kit that does not require cutting bed mats or liners. The rails and pins that hold them are removable for a clean bed.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #6

If I get my 5th wheel, I'll be going the B&W route like Rusty suggested. I've looked at all the various hitch options and I think this is the best one.

Rob

- 05 Dodge RAM 3500 QC 4x4 6sp
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:53 AM   #7

I would add my ditto to what's already been said.

I'm a bit afraid of those adapters. It seems to me they are a bit like slipping a pipe over the handle of a wrench to use as a "cheater bar" for more leverage. Unless the people who built the frame say in writing that it can handle the extra force and won't void the warranty, I'd do something else.

I have one of the B&W's with the Companion 5th wheel hitch, because I wanted the bed free of rails when I wasn't using the hitch. I thought I might pick up a beater truck camper for hunting or something, and didn't want to mess with cutting some plywood or whatever to fit around the rails and provide a flat surface.

I'm pretty happy with it. It pivots 4 ways, the jaws are really solid, and when it's hitched it is clear to see that the jaws are around the groove in the pin.

The only drawback is that it requires tools to install and remove. Since I never did get a camper, but do haul quads, it would have been simpler for me to get one that uses rails.

Actually, if I had it to do over again I'd have gotten a dually, and one of the air ride 5th wheel hitches...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:21 AM   #8

Jeff:

What's required to install and remove it? Very curious since it's the one I want. If it's still fairly easy to do, I'll be okay with it. If it's work, then I may have to look for other alternatives.

I looked into the air-ride hitches and at $2500-3000, it's not something I could do right now.

Rob

- 05 Dodge RAM 3500 QC 4x4 6sp
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobG:
Jeff:

What's required to install and remove it?

Rob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pull the pin from under the wheel well.
Remove the ball from the hole.
Drop the hitch base post into the hole.
Release the pin so that it engages in the post.
Tighten the vertical bolt so that it tightens the post against the pin.
Tighten the 4 u-bolt nuts against the post.
Drop the hitch head onto the base.
Insert the head pins.

It's really quite simple and doesn't take all that long, usually less than 15 minutes.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #10

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I usually use a torque wrench to set the top bolt to the specified torque (40# if I recall correctly).

Pulling it back out is basically pulling two pins, removing the head from the rest of the unit, loosening 4 nuts for the 2 U bolts, loosen the top bolt, then jump out of the truck to pull the release handle and turn it to lock it, then jump back in to pull the base unit out of the socket...

It isn't a major big deal, but not as quick as pulling 4 pins and removing the hitch, like pulling a regular one off rails. I always carry a set of deep wells and torque wrench anyway (to check the lug nuts on the 5th wheel and so on).

Are you on dieseltruckresource.com? In my photo gallery there (Jeff in TD) I think I have photos showing the companion hitch...
Old 06-03-2007, 08:20 PM   #11

I just got my 2006 F350 dually last month and will be getting a B&W Turnover and companion hitch installed next week. Looking forward to hauling the fiver.

'04 Cedar Creek 362BBS
96PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:16 AM   #12

Be sure to measure twice (or three or four times) before you run that 4" hole saw through the bed of your new truck...
Old 06-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #13

I have a PullRite Super 5th hitch, 20.5k lbs, and when it's out, the bed is totally clean with nothing showing.

The only holes in the bed are four 1.5" holes.

I forget how much I paid for it, but it was around $1400 installed. It's higher than what you said you were looking for, but I thought I'd throw it in for consideration.

As far as quality, this is my 2nd PullRite hitch & they're top notch.

Phoenix, AZ
Sixgunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:12 AM   #14

There is no hitch that does not require cutting at least one hole through your drop-in bed-liner. The B&W, and Pullrite require the least invasive install. Before buying a gooseneck adapter, read the Zieman/Lippert frame warranty carefully. It specifically warns against using one for a reason.
When I bought my first 5er, I had the bed-rails installed for a Reese 5er hitch. I simply removed the drop-in bed liner when using the hitch. When the hitch was removed, the bed liner fit over, and covered, the rails to haul dirt and stone in the bed liner.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote