Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #1

5th Wheel Hitch Rails?

Are 5th Wheel hitch rails common, or are they matched to a specific brand? I'd like to buh a used 5th wheel hitch off Craigslist, but they often don't include rails, and never an install kit. So if I need to buy rails - do they fit all the different hitch brands?
Regnillub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2017, 06:07 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

In a word , no; well maybe some might use similar rails , but I've owned 2 and worked on at least three different types of rails. Some brands of manual slider hitches are way different than most.
The rail install kits include under box brackets and hardware and are, usually, truck brand and year specific.
Before you buy get ALL the brand and model info you can and contact the hich manufacturer for rail info , availability.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #3

There are a couple of hitches that use their own rails. Most use "standard" rails. If you are buying a major brand rail mounted hitch (B&W, Andersen, Hensley, Curt, Reese) it will most likely fit on standard rails. The rails are mounted to specification as far as spacing and if done correctly will fit other brand hitches. I've had both B&W and Hensley hitches on my rails and they fit precisely.

PullRite 3100 series uses dedicated rails however their ISR series uses standard rails.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Regnillub, and and to our campfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnillub View Post
Are 5th Wheel hitch rails common, or are they matched to a specific brand? I'd like to buh a used 5th wheel hitch off Craigslist, but they often don't include rails, and never an install kit. So if I need to buy rails - do they fit all the different hitch brands?
Easy fix. If you buy the hitch from Craig's List, and the hitch doesn't come with rails or an install kit. then you can go to eTrailer.com and buy the specific rail and install kit needed for your brand of tow vehicle and your brand of hitch.

Easiest is to buy a hitch that uses "industry standard" in-bed rails. Most 5er hitch brands will fit into those bed rails, and if not they have an adapter kit that will allow that hitch to plug into the industry standard bed rails.

Reese bed rails are the industry standard, BTW. They've been around longer than any others and sold more 5er hitches than anyone else, so when you here 'industry standard", think "Reese". There are exceptions that require very specific bed rails that are not "industry standard".

Example: You find a Curt 5er hitch for sale on Craig's List, but without bed rails or install kit. So go to eTrailer.com and buy Reese bed rails with the "custom" install kit made for your truck. You didn't give the make model of your truck, so I'll use my 2012 F-150 as the example. Here's the correct install kit for your 2012 F-150 with 6.5' bed:
https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...eid=2012642674

Back up one step and you can see that the custom bed rails are for a Reese Pro-Series 5er hitch, but they will also fit other Reese 5er hitches.
https://www.etrailer.com/5w-2012_For...-c1-Above-c2-C

If the hitch is a B&W Companion, then it doesn't use bed rails. Instead it uses a B&W TurnOverBall gooseneck hitch. So instead of installing bed rails, you'd install a B&W TurnOverBall hitch, and plug the Companion hitch into the goosenedk ball place. You can buy the TurnOverBall hitch from any hitch supplier, but eTrailer.com or perhaps Amazon.com will probably be the best price. This one ffits my 2012 F-150:
https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck/F...leid=201219979

If going first class with a PullRite SuperGlide hitch that doesn't fit industry standard rails (ISR), if it doesn't come with the complete under-bed rails and install parts, then go to Pullrite.com and order the under-bed rails and install kit for that hitch. PullRite now also makes a SuperGlide that fits ISR, so if you buy one of those, then install the Reese in-bed rails per above.

When installing in-bed ISR rails, assemble the hitch onto the rails and place the assembly in the bed to determine exactly where to drill holes in the bed to install the bedrails. Loosely install the custom install brackets under the bed, then drill a tiny hole in the center of the front bolt hole and up through the bed on both sides of the bed. Then place the hitch assembly over those tiny holes and mark the back 2 holes in the rails so you'll know exactly where to drill those holes. Then drill tiny holes in the bed in the center of the rear holes on the bed rails, then check to be certain those holes are centered in the holes in the brackets under the bed.

After you know exactly where the 4 bolt holes are to be drilled thru the bed, to go thru the custom brackets, then drill out those holes and install the bolts that came in the install kit.

If installing the bed rails or TurnOverBall sounds like it's above your pay grade, then any decent hitch shop will be glad to do the job for you - for a price.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #5

KZ RV Club
I have used two brand hitches on the same rails like SmokyWren said, they are Reese and currently have a Husky hitch on them. I have never had special brackets. A local weld shop has installed the rails, two different Super Duties, building what they needed.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:14 PM   #6

Alot of newer trucks actually are being manufactured with rails already installed which is a really nice feature.

The rail kits can be expensive, the one for my dodge had to have the rails and then on top of that a special kit to go on the frame. It was over $300.

If you can go with a andersen hitch, light weight and its really awesome.

There are also youtube vids on how to install many of the rails if you want to do it yourself, but i would have the 5th wheel dealer install it for you as part of the deal, if you go with a dealer. If you do craigs list well your on your own then.

You can also ask the people selling the 5th wheel what they towed it with and that will help you decide if they will fit or not.
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #7

My Superglide bolted (pinned) right onto Reese std. above bed rails......If you use Reese rails, they've got a really detailed instruction sheet ......was dead on for my truck
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnillub View Post
Are 5th Wheel hitch rails common, or are they matched to a specific brand? I'd like to buy a used 5th wheel hitch off Craigslist, but they often don't include rails, and never an install kit. So if I need to buy rails - do they fit all the different hitch brands?
Keep doing your research. What you are trying to do is very feasible and could save you some money. But as common as 5th wheel hitches are on trucks, there are many variances in their attachment and styles.
It might also be helpful to list the make model and yr. of the tow truck you're trying to equip. and how it's outfitted? The particular trailer style merits considerations also.
Bare in mind that any hitch set up ultimately attaches to the frame members under the bed, with a series of spacers and shims that accommodate (sandwich) the bed floor / rails that you attach the hitch frame to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2.
In a word , no; well maybe some might use similar rails , but I've owned 2 and worked on at least three different types of rails. Some brands of manual slider hitches are way different than most.
The rail install kits include under box brackets and hardware and are, usually, truck brand and year specific.
Before you buy get ALL the brand and model info you can and contact the hitch manufacturer for rail info , availability.
Sound advice. Learn the difference between the "puck" mount versions. Some utilize a goose-neck ball adapter plate. Will you need a slider for a short bed truck with a particular trailer nose configuration? Get the hitch that matches the max. capacity of your truck the first time. So you don't have to re-buy a hitch when you upgrade to your next heavier trailer.

Best of luck on your purchases.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel