Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #1

5th Wheel hitch slop

Hi all,

We have a Reese Pro Series 15K Fifth Wheel Hitch with about 7000 miles of towing on it. The king pin seems to slide forward and aft a ¼ inch or so. I’m figuring this is a problem or is it normal? Is there and replacement head kit or parts that are available to repair this? I tried to contact Reese but haven’t heard anything back from them.

Thanks
Rob Stafford
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #2

The 15 and 20K 5er hitches by Reese use a U shaped cradle on both sides of the hitch base to hold the head and 2 clevis pins are put through the U uprights to keep the head in place. After some towing time the U cradles in the base get distorted and the U uprights get bent away from each other. The 1 inch round bars stock used on the head as the pivet shifts in the cradle. This allows slop in the head front to rear and it clanks when slowing or accelerating. The problem will persist unless the uprights are bent back parallel I called Reese about this and after talking they said to remove the pins and pull the head off. Take a big hammer and smack the u uprights to bring them back parallel with each other. Make sure you do not push them back too far or your head will not go back in. Reinstall the head and clevis pins and Presto, clank problem gone. By the way, these are primary lubrication points, among others, and should always have grease on them.
-Paul R. Haller
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #3

In addition, mine wore on the ends, allowing side-to-side slop. I placed an ordinary steel washer on each side to remove nearly all slop. It has worked fine for 2 years so far. I use Dry-Slide dry moly lube after annual cleaning, then a light coat of bearing grease before re-assembly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #4

I checked the U cradle, it doesn’t seem to be the culprit. I’m at a work camping position now so I won’t get a chance to do much testing. I’m still waiting to hear from Reese.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #5

Rob,

Don't I know you?

Did you call Jeff, you know he knows everything
(or at least he keeps telling me that!)

Jo
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #6

I discovered that my double pivot hitch had some slop between the saddle and the saddle mount. One email to Hyjacker and they are sending me the parts for free. It is a simple teflon pad that takes up the slop.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
I discovered that my double pivot hitch had some slop between the saddle and the saddle mount. One email to Hyjacker and they are sending me the parts for free. It is a simple teflon pad that takes up the slop.
Thanks for the heads up! I too have the 16k double pivot hitch and had some slop as well. Tried adjusting the the hitch to remove the slop to no avail. After reading your post I too emailed Hijacker. My parts are in the mail! And no charge as well!

Thanks again!
Phil