Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-28-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
Question 5th wheel slider

I am in the market for a new 5th wheel slider hitch. I have a 2015 Chevy 2500 CC 6 1/2' bed towing a 2016 Montana High Country 340BHS. When I bought the rig, they installed a Pro Series 15K slider. It works fine, but I can't take the chucking anynmore from the bar slider. I don't use the slider much....only once so far, so I don't need to spend any extra money on the auto sliders. I am also considering changing the pin box to a Mor Ryde box as well, but still undecided on that move. I think I've narrowed my choices down to a B&W 18K Patriot slider with a dual jaw system or the Demco 16K superglide SL with a single jaw system. Anyone have any experience with either, can offer up any suggestions, or enlighten me on something I'm not seeing, it would be greatly appreciated!

ArmyRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #2
Love my B/W slider.... it's expensive but worth every penny. I had a crappy Reese slider years ago and literally needed a rubber mallet to get the safety pin to latch. This thing moves like silk and butter.

mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:48 AM   #3
Mtofell, are you using the Companion or the Patriot? Seems like most people using B&W are using the Companion. Wondering if the 1" jaws on the companion make a big difference vs the 3/4" jaws on the Patriot? Seems like that's the only difference is can see minus the mounting. Hmmm???
Old 07-29-2016, 06:53 AM   #4
Don't use a slider. I have used GM short beds for 26+ yrs, tried a slider for a few yrs, didn't like it and switched back. With today's curved front caps there really is no need for the slider. Maybe a little extra jockeying back and forth, but not likely. If 85+ degrees won't work, 90 won't either. Hitch is now lite again, pull 2 pins and remove the head, 4 more pins and the base lifts out.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:11 PM   #5

Of course it's easy for some of us, long beds are not an accident, to avoid sliding hitches at all cost. It's hard to beat B&W products, (hint- 18K). Hitch jaws would be the least of my concern.
Thumbs up to Mor/ryde pin boxes also, but..
You're approaching spending a fare amount of money on "chucking". I notice in these forums that chucking is often a term that means different things to different people.
Help others to understand your symptoms a little better. Is this a noise issue of rattling clunking, or the seat of your pants and head rest shaking?
Have you had another experienced hauler along to help diagnose the experience?
You're definitely at or slightly over the weight limit of your current 15K hitch, and your truck for that matter.
Which axles are on your MT-HC, and are you pulling level?
Have you had your setup on a CAT scale lately?

Happy motoring.
J & J + Kickr's the Vonderhund
DRV, ES-38RSSA, 19.6K#
GMC, 3500HD-Max, CC, 8'-DRW, 9.1K#
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:23 PM   #6
I'm running the CRE3000 Suspension System from mor ryde and yes, were definitely level. Dry weight is 12,323. Cargo capacity is 2477. GVWR is 14,800. Truck as manual states is rated at 17,100 max trailer weight and GCWR of 24,500. Did my homework on ratings before we bought the truck and rig. Not over on weight. The chucking I'm referring to is the jarring back and forth on every bump and each time I touch the brake or gas. The only noise I notice is when going slow enough that I can hear anything besides the wind. It is the clanking of the pin hitting the slide bar over and over. I pulled the trigger on a B&W patriot 16k (non-slider). I liked the idea I can mount it in 3 different locations in reference to the cab, so in the most rearward mounted position it will give me an extra 4" of clearance. The Montana has a tapered nose, so I opted to not get another slider for these reasons. I don't expect to be able to get to 90 degrees, but I should have plenty of clearance for 99.9 percent of situations. I review campgrounds pretty thorough before going to any, so I have some control over tight spaces. I'm holding off on the pin box for now as a new mattress will be priority. One would think for the amount of money we spend on these rigs, they can find a better mattress to put in them...

SFC, U.S. Army
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax
2016 Montana HC 340BH

5th wheel, slide