Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2015, 07:11 AM   #1

5th wheel tailgates

Thinking about putting a 5th wheel style tailgate on my truck. Any suggestions on brands or what to look for. Prefer not to spend a lot of money on one but don't want to get one too cheap that it will not hold up.
jetmechoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I had a 5'er I never put on a 5th wheel tailgate. I didn't see the need for one. When I was walking to the truck I'd put the tailgate down, and after hooking up I put it back up. Two easy steps and a lot cheaper than a new tailgate.

Personal preference I guess.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Check Cabellas. They have a decent 5er tailgate for $300.
Stromberg Carlson 4000 Series Tailgate : Cabela's

I had a steel Husky on my F-250 for about 10 years. I bought my step-son a steel Husky 5er tailgate for his F-150 a few years ago. Around $600 for a new aluminum one now. Less for the steel ones.
Amazon.com: Husky Liners Custom Fit Aluminum Fifth Wheel Tailgate for Select Chevrolet/GMC Models (Silver): Automotive

You can order a Husky tailgate from several different vendors. For example:
Husky Liners Louvered Tailgate - JCWhitney
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #4

I used a Handy tailgate on my GMC dually and liked it more than the plastic Stromberg Carlson that I had prior. The Handy is made of metal.
Wish you were closer, I'd make you a deal on mine because I no longer have the truck after moving to a motorhome.
Buy Custom Truck Tailgates Online | Handy Industries
http://www.pickupspecialties.com/tailgate_handy_V.htm
Old 02-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #5

CustomFlow Elite Series Louvered Tailgate - Truck Customizers
I like my '03 Custom Flow that I painted same color as the truck for my 5th wheel and GN trailers.
Cuts down on wind turbulence in the bed when towing the 5th wheel RV trailer. Now I can carry "stuff" in the bed without it blowing out at highway speeds.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Cuts down on wind turbulence in the bed when towing the 5th wheel RV trailer. Now I can carry "stuff" in the bed without it blowing out at highway speeds.
Yep, that is exactly what I have found out too. Way way less turbulence.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:07 AM   #7

Thanks for the help.

I appreciate the info on the tailgate. I have a 8ft bed on my truck and when the tailgate is down I only have about 3 inches clearance between the tailgate and the trailer. If I have the slightest angle to my hook up it could easily cause some damage. That is why I'm looking at a new tailgate. I'm leaning toward a metal one. Only thing I don't like about the model I'm looking at is it don't lock. I don't know what the theft rate is on this type of tailgate but it looks like it would be very easy to steal. Anyway thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.
jetmechoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechoh View Post
I appreciate the info on the tailgate. I have a 8ft bed on my truck and when the tailgate is down I only have about 3 inches clearance between the tailgate and the trailer. If I have the slightest angle to my hook up it could easily cause some damage. That is why I'm looking at a new tailgate. I'm leaning toward a metal one. Only thing I don't like about the model I'm looking at is it don't lock. I don't know what the theft rate is on this type of tailgate but it looks like it would be very easy to steal. Anyway thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.
Pretty simple back far enough under and then close tailgate.

Been towing 5th wheels since the early 90's and have always used a regular tailgate. Not worth the hassle or money IMHO.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:19 AM   #9

I have one in my garage that I have never put on, got it in a package deal with my hitch....I dont use it because I use a tonneau cover when not towing my trailer...too much of a hassle to switch back and forth I guess
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:23 AM   #10

When I had a 5er, the first one I bought was just some straps. After that, I made my own out of plastic pipe and painted it black. Looked pretty good and was inexpensive.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:23 AM   #11

I got one from Etrailer for under $200. It is a little bit difficult to close, but otherwise, I am quite happy with it. Tailgate Open-Design Tailgate Truck Bed Accessories | etrailer.com

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #12

Geno's garage has a lock that fits on the hinge of the tailgate.20 bucks and have had it on for several years. My tail gate is made from pipe and is chrome, but I don't remember brand name. Close call with clearance tail gate to trailer was enough for me!
Old 02-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #13

If you are afraid of theft of your tailgate (I have heard of it happening, but no first hand knowledge of it happening) most tailgates are easy to secure. Just use a hose clamp around the right hinge. It won't stop someone who wants it, but it will slow them down a good bit.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #14

Unless you keep it locked (and how mane do?), enen the original tailgates can be removed in about 30 seconds, without the use of any tools.

Joiel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel