Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Big-Foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kenyon, MN
Posts: 263
For most camping trailers, I would have to think that 3.73's should be all you need...
My trailer weighs in at ~18k and the truck at almost 9k with us in it and full fuel.
With 3.73 gears - My F350 never breaks a sweat pulling that load. I tow at 65mph max. Most hills it never unlocks the torque convertor or downshifts - you just see the boost gauge climb a bit and the engine brake comes on coasting down the other side.
The Dodge truck has similar torque to the Ford and Torque is what gets the job done.
Oh and my fuel economy with the trailer is roughly 8.5 MPG and 15 MPG empty.

From my past experiences in trailering with SRW vs. DRW, I will never be without a DRW again..
Rare is the time you will hear someone say "I wish I had bought the SRW instead of my dually"...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438954146.368347.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	102380


Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
__________________

__________________
Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CrewCab DRW 6.7/409 PSD - 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 fifth-wheel Toy Hauler - 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT SxS just-4-grins
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
For most camping trailers, I would have to think that 3.73's should be all you need...
My trailer weighs in at ~18k and the truck at almost 9k with us in it and full fuel.
With 3.73 gears - My F350 never breaks a sweat pulling that load. I tow at 65mph max. Most hills it never unlocks the torque convertor or downshifts - you just see the boost gauge climb a bit and the engine brake comes on coasting down the other side.
The Dodge truck has similar torque to the Ford and Torque is what gets the job done.
Oh and my fuel economy with the trailer is roughly 8.5 MPG and 15 MPG empty.

From my past experiences in trailering with SRW vs. DRW, I will never be without a DRW again..
Rare is the time you will hear someone say "I wish I had bought the SRW instead of my dually"...
Attachment 102380


Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Nice to see some honest mileage being posted!

Yea the SRW diehards will say "it tows just fine" with it sitting upside down in a ditch!
__________________

__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:30 AM   #31
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Nice to see some honest mileage being posted!

Yea the SRW diehards will say "it tows just fine" with it sitting upside down in a ditch!
__________________
2014 Raptor 300MP, 2014 Cowboy Cadillac - Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel DRW 4.10 Rear End, 5588 Payload, Firestone Airbags, Curt Q20, TST507
raineman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Timon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tustin, CA
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
4:10's gets the worse fuel economy driving solo. But evens out when towing as the engine is not working as hard.

For towing 4:10 is the best gear Ram has for towing.

For best solo driving fuel economy the lower the number the better. From worse to better for example. 4:10, 3:93, 3:73, 3:52.
Don't know that it's practical but if one got a lighter 5th wheel and use the lower ratio one could change it to a 4:10 if they later got a heaver one. Don't know I'd do it or that it would give you any reasonable payback period but it was just a thought.
__________________
John (N6BER), Joyce, Lucas (Golden Retriever mix), Bella (Great Pyrenees) and Lance (Great Pyrenees).
Tustin, CA
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
I am a firm believer in the 4:10's. Solo freeway at 60 I get 18 and at 70 16 mpg. I have 32K going down the road and it pulls great.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
JBurg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Rock Springs, Wyoming
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I am a firm believer in the 4:10's. Solo freeway at 60 I get 18 and at 70 16 mpg. I have 32K going down the road and it pulls great.

16 mpg at 70 mph?!?! How many miles are on your truck?
__________________
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
16 mpg at 70 mph?!?! How many miles are on your truck?
4,200 miles.

Just took a 200 mile trip at 60mph today and I was right at 18mpg.

To be clear these are solo numbers.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
JBurg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Rock Springs, Wyoming
Posts: 368
I see. I don't have any good numbers with solo driving (not sure how much of a difference my wife's 115 pounds would make) and I haven't taken an empty trip with the tires fully inflated yet. I suppose I'll report back when I have more info!

Oh, almost forgot-the numbers reported in one of my earlier posts are from the EVIC; I haven't hand-calculated for a very long time and not once with this truck. I also leave the B&W hitch in the bed, and I haven't taken any highway trips without DW riding shotgun. Rear tires were at 55 psi. Fronts at 60. Truck now has around 3,700 miles.


2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.
__________________
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
I see. I don't have any good numbers with solo driving (not sure how much of a difference my wife's 115 pounds would make) and I haven't taken an empty trip with the tires fully inflated yet. I suppose I'll report back when I have more info!

Oh, almost forgot-the numbers reported in one of my earlier posts are from the EVIC; I haven't hand-calculated for a very long time and not once with this truck. I also leave the B&W hitch in the bed, and I haven't taken any highway trips without DW riding shotgun. Rear tires were at 55 psi. Fronts at 60. Truck now has around 3,700 miles.


2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.
"Solo" as in no RV behind.

I have hand calced every tank since new and I am consistently .4 MPG less than the EVIC. I am about 10K going down the road "SOLO". Or "BobTail"
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
I see. I don't have any good numbers with solo driving (not sure how much of a difference my wife's 115 pounds would make) and I haven't taken an empty trip with the tires fully inflated yet. I suppose I'll report back when I have more info!

Oh, almost forgot-the numbers reported in one of my earlier posts are from the EVIC; I haven't hand-calculated for a very long time and not once with this truck. I also leave the B&W hitch in the bed, and I haven't taken any highway trips without DW riding shotgun. Rear tires were at 55 psi. Fronts at 60. Truck now has around 3,700 miles.


2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.
You are actually under inflating your front tires. at 60psi they are only good for 2,545# per tire. It takes 70psi to cover the actual front axle weight.

My front axle weighed 5,380# when new.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
JBurg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Rock Springs, Wyoming
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
You are actually under inflating your front tires. at 60psi they are only good for 2,545# per tire. It takes 70psi to cover the actual front axle weight.



My front axle weighed 5,380# when new.

At the local WYHP scale my front came in at 5,420#, so it seems like we have the same truck. Weird.

Before I brought the trailer home I put them back up to whatever is recommended on the sidewall, and with the improvement in mpg I've had I'll be leaving them there as long as no weird wear is noticed. Thanks for bringing up the weight rating at that pressure. Useful information.
__________________
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:09 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
JBurg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Rock Springs, Wyoming
Posts: 368
Also, thanks for clarifying your use of the word "SOLO." I'm used to bobtail as the nomenclature for driving without a trailer. Is that an RV thing? Like DW? I couldn't figure out DW for the life of me when I first started perusing the RV forums. Eventually had to do an acronym search...
__________________
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:47 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Dasmoeturhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,003
16,300 miles of mostly towing. The avg fuel consumption over that period is 11.6 mpg. I drive between 55-65 depending on conditions. Tires are inflated from 70-75 psi.
__________________
2017 Forrest River Salem 32bhds TT
2015 Ram 3500 4x4, CTD, DRW ,MC ,AISIN , 4.10's,
Six Burning Six Turning ! ,RVM 104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
Also, thanks for clarifying your use of the word "SOLO." I'm used to bobtail as the nomenclature for driving without a trailer. Is that an RV thing? Like DW? I couldn't figure out DW for the life of me when I first started perusing the RV forums. Eventually had to do an acronym search...
I usually say "BobTail" but some don't understand. I never use DW. My wife is an independent thinker and I like it that way!
__________________

__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting a 5'er to tow "level" - 2015 Ram 3500 DRW cb1000rider Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 16 07-18-2015 07:00 AM
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Rail Mount - locking kingpin coupler Mcsusan 5th Wheel Discussion 6 05-27-2015 11:31 AM
New guy planning on full timing in 5th wheel QuixoticElixer iRV2.com General Discussion 21 05-05-2015 09:09 PM
Would a Lab pick a Class A or 5th wheel? G-JLD9 RV'ing with Pets 14 04-20-2015 11:21 AM
2015 Ford F250 5th wheel prep package ($370) question. Captainkoop Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 5 06-10-2014 08:25 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.