Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #1

I have a question about how practical or doable it is to tow a 5th wheel with a pickup that has a short bed. My pickup is a 2006 Ford F250 diesel with a short bed (6' 10"). I've seen some ads for a hitch that's supposed to do this, but haven't heard anything firsthand. It has no problem towing a TT, but I might be interested in upgrading to a 5th wheel in a year or so. I don't think that weight would be a big issue, but turning and maneuvering might be a question. Thanks for any comments.
John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #2

I have a question about how practical or doable it is to tow a 5th wheel with a pickup that has a short bed. My pickup is a 2006 Ford F250 diesel with a short bed (6' 10"). I've seen some ads for a hitch that's supposed to do this, but haven't heard anything firsthand. It has no problem towing a TT, but I might be interested in upgrading to a 5th wheel in a year or so. I don't think that weight would be a big issue, but turning and maneuvering might be a question. Thanks for any comments.
John

Old 05-19-2006, 03:56 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
most all the compainies reese and b&w make hitches that slide back for sharp turns as to not bump the cab, most carry the same weight rating and loads as non sliders. you should have zero problems
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #4

Been towing one with a short box since 2001. I do have a Reese slider and seldom use it, maybe once a year. I think it is very doable.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #5

John,
I have a 2005 F250 Short box, and a couple of things to look out for. 1. 2005/2006 Short box Fords had major frame change to beef up the suspension. Normal location for a 5th wheel hitch is from center of the rear axle to 2" in front of the axle. Every Hitch manufacture that I checked requred the rails to be 4" in front of the axle due to these changes. This is for bolt on rails. You can have them welded, but many dealers will not do it on newer vehicles. 2. Because of number 1 I would look for a 5ver with an extended pin box, and have a slider hitch installed. I current have the reese slider, and my frame beefed up to handle an extended hitch, and I still cannot get a full 90 degree turn, real close, but about 880 degrees. Hope this helps.
Perry
Old 05-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #6

There are just as many short beds as long ones towing 5ers, is my observation. I have a long bed, but wouldn't hesitate to tow with a short bed and a slider hitch.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #7

Don't worry about this untill you decide to buy. Any 5'er will hit, short or long bed, slider or fixed hitch. It's just a matter of when will it hit. When you do shop, begin by finding the center of your axle in your bed, and then measure to the corner. Remember this number. Take a tpe with you and when the wife finds one she likes, then you go up front and measure and see when it will hit. I have a shorty and NO slider. It takes a very sharp turn to hit. I'd feel like it's cut over way too far and would blow tires before mine would hit. It all depends on the pin to the corner demension.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:08 AM   #8

John,

Charlie has a good point on how to measure, but for the 2005/2006 F250 you need to measure at least 4" in front of the axle not center. I had a 2001 and the hitch was located 1/2" in front of the axle, but the nexer F250 cannot be mounted that close to the center of the axle, as it interfers with the shock mounts.

Perry
Old 05-20-2006, 04:53 AM   #9

Thanks a lot to everyone for your comments. I'm very relieved to hear that it's not too uncommon to do this. Thanks "Bearmin" for your specific measurements for the '06 F250. I will print out the comments and file them for reference when I get ready to buy. The access to experience from all over the world via internet makes me wonder "how did I ever manage without forums and newsgroups"?
Thanks much!

John
Old 05-21-2006, 07:16 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Most new 5'th wheeler has the extended king pin
on them now so you should'nt have any trouble with the short bed. I have the slide on my hitch and have never used it its nice to have if you ever need it i would't buy a hitch with out one as long as i have a short bed.
Don

2005 Aspen 29RL
Don & Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote