Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #1

Well I've come to the conclusion that my 99 suburban isn't going to be much of a tow vechile.

So I've found a 1999 chevy dually with a 6.5 diesel.
I know absolutley nothing about diesel motors at all and I'm looking for any imput as far as what to look for.
I've heard of blow by, but I haven't a clue what that is, or how to look for it.

The diesel has around 126,000 miles.+

Anyone pulling with this combination?
If so, give me an idea on fuel mileage.

And if anyone is looking for a nice suburban, let me know, i'll make them a deal

Thanks in advance,
Brent

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #2

Well I've come to the conclusion that my 99 suburban isn't going to be much of a tow vechile.

So I've found a 1999 chevy dually with a 6.5 diesel.
I know absolutley nothing about diesel motors at all and I'm looking for any imput as far as what to look for.
I've heard of blow by, but I haven't a clue what that is, or how to look for it.

The diesel has around 126,000 miles.+

Anyone pulling with this combination?
If so, give me an idea on fuel mileage.

And if anyone is looking for a nice suburban, let me know, i'll make them a deal

Thanks in advance,
Brent

Old 02-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #3

You'll find accurate information about your 6.5 at dieselplace.com. This is the main website for GM diesel engines and trucks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #4

I don't know much about that motor, other than the guys I know that have had them have hated them. One guy dumped close to 3k in repairs and still could not pull his snowmobils.

If you get this truck, at the very least, Do your homework and understand what you are getting into. There were not many out there so parts and shops that work on them are nill, and you will pay a premium to have anything done with it.

I would recomend only looking at a Duramax if you want the chevy, then you get the allison trans behind the motor, very nice combo.
I don't care for dodge myself, but the cummins motor is one of the best, and for the ford diesels, any of the 7.3L powerstrokes will serve you well.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #5

RUN don't walk run away from it. The 6.2/6.5 was a derivitive of the GM 350 CI smapp block. Was never a real good motor and aboslutely not good for towing more than itself.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 450Donn:
The 6.2/6.5 was a derivitive of the GM 350 CI small block. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The original 5.7L was a "dieselized" version of the Olds 350. The 6.2L and subsequently the 6.5L diesels replaced the 5.7L in truck applications. I was unaware that these engines had any significant ties to GM's gasoline engines.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #7

Until the Duramax the Chevy's diesels have been poor engines. Of course there are exceptions but by & large you want to stay away from them. I've got a Duramax and it has been trouble free with tons of power. The Cummins & 7.3 Powerstroke are also bullet proof. I'd stay away from the 6.0 Powerstroke as there have been a lot of problems with that motor.

GOOD LUCK!!

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #8

I had 82 6.2 that ran good, 24mpg, and never any trouble---except couldnt keep OD auto trans in it, had 4 under warranty. Then had 3 6.5 of various years up to 97 (I think) and never had any problems with any on them. Pulled a 25ft, then 28ft, fiver with them. The 6.5 would keep up with buddys same year Cummins or pull away, and I was always pulling the larger fiver. ALL of them were 4wd. However, none compare to my 2 Duramax's!

04 Everest 343L, 07 Chevy 3500 SRW,4x4,D/A,ext.cab
R.G.Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #9

I used to have a 6.2 diesel Suburban and loved it. Both the 6.2 and 6.5 were built from the ground up to be diesels, not converted gas engines like the 5.7 diesel of the late 70's early 80's. These engines did have one problem and that was the transmission. The 700R4 tranny just couldn't keep up with the diesel engine.

If I were you, I'd look for a good used Dodge Ram '98.5 or newer and preferably 2003 or newer to take advantage of the common rail injection. The late models also have the 48R transmission which is pretty stout. I was lucky enough to find a deal on a 2004.5 Dodge Ram with the 325hp/600ftlbs engine. I have no problem towing my 5er with that.

If you get a diesel, be sure to install at least a pyrometer (EGT) guage to monitor the exhaust gas temp. Nothing will kill a diesel faster than excessive exhaust temps.

Just my .02,

Pat
Old 03-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #10

I'm runnin the DuraMax LLY engine in my '06 Silverado CC 1 ton and love it. I've owned a 6.5 and, while it wasn't a bad engine, I prefer the newer generation GM diesels.

The best info on the 6.5L GM diesel (The Good, The Bad & The Ugly) can be found at dieselplace.com. Great site, good info. There's a section specifically dedicated to this generation GM diesel.

I personally like the LB7, LLY and LBZ motors now available. There are a lot of good trucks out there for sale with these engines and these generation engines make the 6.5 look like a real dog.

Just a suggestion: A little newer truck will come with the LB7, model years 2001 to 2004. 2004.5's up to 2006 early production models came with LLY's. After that, it was the LBZ. I'd look at those first vs. the 6.5L engined trucks.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:00 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R.G.Wise:
Pulled a 25ft, then 28ft, fiver with them. The 6.5 would keep up with buddys same year Cummins or pull away, and I was always pulling the larger fiver. ALL of them were 4wd. However, none compare to my 2 Duramax's! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
ROTFLMBO I think the guys driving the Cummins were probably having a laughter fit and had to stop to let you make it past them.