Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Nissan just released a diesel. Check that out,
I tried, but the web page designers at Nissan are not real bright. No where could I locate a GVWR or payload capacity for this half-ton pickup. But the Cummins engine and Assin tranny are a lot heavier than a 5.7L gas engine with tranny, so I'll bet the 2016 Titan diesel has less payload capacity than the 2015 gasser.

It's still a half-ton pickup, so probably not enough truck to haul the hitch weight of a 7,200 pound TT without being overloaded. Plenty of power, but not enough suspension, brakes, frame, etc.

Plus, there are none in stock at the several dealers around me. Lots and lots of leftover 2015s, but not even one 2016.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
What do I need to tow it and please no Detroit junk. Toyota handle this?
No. The heaviest-duty Toy is a half-ton pickup. Not enough payload capacity for a 7.200-pound TT without exceeding the payload capacity of the Toy when loaded with normal weight of passengers, gear, and hitch weight. More details in your other thread.

Same comment applies to any so-called half-ton pickup. I doubt you'll find a Toy or Nissan or any other tow vehicle available in the USA that's not "Detroit Junk" that has enough payload capacity to tow that trailer without being overloaded.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
Old 01-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #17

This is a duplicate thread. Please see my response to your other thread here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/7200-...ml#post2887505

The 4.6L engine won't work at all, it has a 6800lb tow limit. The 5.7L might work, but you need to check door sticker and do math like I said in my original reply.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
A closed mind gathers no information. Just do what you want since you already have your mind made up.
He does seem a bit prejudice..... Poor guy. Let him learn the hard way.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My thanks to all who have shared their experiences and opinions.
I drive a Chev 8.1L moho so yes Im prejudiced ;-)
Im actually asking for a friend who drives a 2013 Mercedes ML350 diesel with air levelling suspension 240HP, 455ft/lb torque. Works well but been giving him tranny problems into and out of shop frequently. Nice vee to drive between seasons.
He's looking for an alternative and your considered advice seems to lead to a Ford 250 so Ill let him know.
Great forum as usual! Thanks again.
rB
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
It certainly is, and you're always entitled to it.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Only one normally optioned and loaded half-ton pickup can tow a 7,200-pound TT without exceeding the payload capacity of the pickup, and that is the Ford F-150 with the rare heavy duty payload package.
That simply is not true. The definition of "normally optioned and loaded half-ton" is such a huge variable. Ford, Ram, GM all make half tons that would handily handle that tongue weight and GCW- even in their crew cab models with a reasonable amount of creature comforts.

That being said, you are accurate in stating the Tundra would likely be quite overloaded with that travel trailer. If you want a crew cab (crewmax) with the 5.7 in a Tundra you simply will not have the available GVWR to handle that trailer. A couple hundred pounds here or there is nothing to worry about, but I can see that trailer putting the Tundra quite a ways over. Bottom line is- you either need a moderately optioned half ton from one of the big three, or a 2500/250 series if you want a lot of high end options in the truck. Either way- Toyota does not make the truck you need UNLESS you are looking to a single cab 4x2.

I am not sure I understand your strong statement against the "Detroit junk" since they are truthfully the only ones that will make a product capable of comfortably towing that TT. Although, I am really not interested in getting into it since everyone has their own preference and opinion.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I tried, but the web page designers at Nissan are not real bright. No where could I locate a GVWR or payload capacity for this half-ton pickup. But the Cummins engine and Assin tranny are a lot heavier than a 5.7L gas engine with tranny, so I'll bet the 2016 Titan diesel has less payload capacity than the 2015 gasser.

It's still a half-ton pickup, so probably not enough truck to haul the hitch weight of a 7,200 pound TT without being overloaded. Plenty of power, but not enough suspension, brakes, frame, etc.

Plus, there are none in stock at the several dealers around me. Lots and lots of leftover 2015s, but not even one 2016.
It's still a "preproduction" model. No official release data yet. Rumours of 8800lbs GVWR are floating around, but I went to the "release party" at our local dealership and that thing is a battleship- I would bet a curb weight of almost 7000lbs. It dwarfed my Ram 2500.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #23

I tow with a Tundra Crewmax 5.7 Tow Package. My Jayco is 4355lbs, and a "claimed" tongue weight of 485 (not including full tanks, etc.). After taking seriously the advice of those here on the forum, I loaded and weighed everything correctly, did the math, etc., and am only about 100lbs +/- shy of my GVWR.

No way I would go that heavy of a trailer w/ a Tundra. Can it be done? Sure. Can it be done safely? No way.
daveRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:14 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I avoided the Detroit Junk by getting a Ram. It's owned by an Italian company and assembled in Mexico. Pretty sure no part if it has ever been to Detroit. It could tow a 7200 pound TT and a Tundra up anything.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:00 AM   #25

We were just at the car show to check out the new Nissan coming to dealerships this week. We saw it driving as a concept last year with its badges covered up on a road test. The husband could answer this better, but he's sleeping . The new Nissan is designed to fall between the half ton and three-quarter ton and i think I recall its payload is in the 1400 range. The new Tundra is in the 1000 range. The new Nissan is a diesel, but they plan on releasing a gas. They claim a 12,300 tow rating. The one they brought to the show was beautiful, but we love our Ford with that rare aforementioned tow package.
Wanabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I avoided the Detroit Junk by getting a Ram. It's owned by an Italian company and assembled in Mexico. Pretty sure no part if it has ever been to Detroit. It could tow a 7200 pound TT and a Tundra up anything.
LOL, best reply to anything I've read in a long time.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I avoided the Detroit Junk by getting a Ram. It's owned by an Italian company ....
Yep. It'a a Fiat. I owned a Fiat once.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #28

I have not seen anyone ASK... ?

is the trailer truly 7,200 pounds. or just the TAG stating it!!

my Coachmen is stated at 7,500 pounds.. and its true weight is 8,300 pounds empty.. NO propane tanks.. no fluids.. empty holding tanks.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote