Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
85 chiefton 22

i just purchased an rv trying to hook up trailer brake controler does anybody no if it has a factory plug some were they have a 4 plug wired in back at lights but i need to hook up inside cab thanks

grizzlykev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Which engine does the MH have? GM 454? MOPAR 440? Ford 460?

The 4-wire trailer plug means your MH is probably not wired to have a trailer brake controller. The brake controller requires at least a 5-wire plug, and more common is the 6-wire horse trailer plug or the 7-wire RV plug.

You need to add a 7-wire RV plug to the back of the MH. Even if the trailer you want to tow has a 6-wire round plug, I'd still add the 7-wire RV plug and then add an adapter to plug into the 6-wire plug. Most trailers with brakes now use the RV plug - even new horse trailers. Older horse trailers (or livestock trailers) may have the 6-wire plug.

The 4-wire plug is only for trailer lights. It has left and right turn signals, tail lights, and ground wire. The turn signal wires are also used for brake lights. The tail light wire is also used for running lights.

The 7-wire RV plug adds wires for trailer brakes, battery charger for the battery in the trailer, and another wire that's usually not connected to anything, but identified as the backup light wire or auxiliary power wire.
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

How to add a brake controller to connect with that brake wire in the 7-wire plug depends on which engine you have. Probably the easiest is to buy a kit that includes what you need, with instructions of how to install it. Such as this one:
Universal Installation Kit forTrailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires etrailer Accessories and Parts ETBC7

Scroll down in that link and you'll see lots of detail about that kit.

Instead of a universal kit, even better would be a brand-specific kit to add a brake controller and 7-wire RV plug to your MH. I know the ones for a Ford chassis are available, but I'm not familiar with other brands.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Smokeywhen is correct. The 85 Winnebago is a Chevy Chassis with a 454 and it does not have anything prewired in the rear and if it was it would only be a basic 4 wire. I have a 1984 Winnebago Chieftain and I had to add the other wiring and install a 7 pin RV plug myself.
Winnebeater is offline   Reply With Quote