Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #15

Negotiation isn't treating someone like crap... It's just a process. You said yourself your truck is old and feeling it's age, so the dealer may have offered you a fair price. Keep in mind they probably won't sell it to a customer, they will sell it to a used car lot. So they have to make a few bucks, the used lot will recondition it to a certain extent and they also need to make some coin. The trick is to remain emotionally uninvolved. You're always in a better negotiating situation if you walk in with no trade and cash in hand.

As for brakes and tires, they may have had to put on new tires to sell it (appearances sell) and perhaps drums or brake fluid needed a change.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #16

Clean retail on a 99 350 SRW 225000M $9150.000. Average trade in $5775.00

You have a lot of negotiating room. While I've not owned a 7.3, a number of my friends continue to and love them after putting a turbo on them. If you don't buy it I'd love to pick it up. Send me the dealers name
Old 06-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Clean retail on a 99 350 SRW 225000M $9150.000. Average trade in $5775.00

You have a lot of negotiating room. While I've not owned a 7.3, a number of my friends continue to and love them after putting a turbo on them. If you don't buy it I'd love to pick it up. Send me the dealers name
And the way they accept trades they offered him 2k. Lol theyve been calling me every day so I think they may be gettin ready to accept my original deal. Ill be honest with everyone. Im payin $170 a month for my truck and I owe $4,970. Thats why I said $5k. I dont want my payment to be over $200. They wanted a total of $7k after my truck difference for a total of $220. But id still owe $4,970 to my bank. For a total of almost $12k. Sooooo $220 plus $170 is $390. So I gotta see what theyll cave on.
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
Negotiation isn't treating someone like crap... It's just a process. You said yourself your truck is old and feeling it's age, so the dealer may have offered you a fair price. Keep in mind they probably won't sell it to a customer, they will sell it to a used car lot. So they have to make a few bucks, the used lot will recondition it to a certain extent and they also need to make some coin. The trick is to remain emotionally uninvolved. You're always in a better negotiating situation if you walk in with no trade and cash in hand.

As for brakes and tires, they may have had to put on new tires to sell it (appearances sell) and perhaps drums or brake fluid needed a change.

94-Newmar

Can you say a little more about the 7.3 exhaust brake mod you referred to? I am looking at the Banks for my 20007.3 but the price tag is a bit steep for my budget. That said, I also want to feel safe on the downhill stretches.
edoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoran View Post
94-Newmar

Can you say a little more about the 7.3 exhaust brake mod you referred to? I am looking at the Banks for my 20007.3 but the price tag is a bit steep for my budget. That said, I also want to feel safe on the downhill stretches.
Basically you use the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) after the turbo. You close the valve manually/electronically and it raises back pressure.
There is debate whether it lifts your valves because older springs are weaker. One tuner will NOT write it in their tune for that reason.
Also, if you have an auto trans, you need to have a mod to keep the torque converter locked, otherwise it's useless and you won't transfer the power to the wheels.

Most everything Banks is overpriced, and there is usually something on the market, or even homemade, of much better performance and quality.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #20

I've got a 2003 model Powerstroke F250--one of the last 7.3's made. Other than checking the general appearance, I'd ask what has the truck been used for. If used in agriculture or some heavy usage, I'd proceed with caution. If the truck was an everyday driver for a retired gentleman that towed a fifth wheel trailer locally--I'd jump on it. Whatever you do, it'd be best if you'd have the truck checked out by a mechanic specializing in "light" diesels. They can put it on a scanner and checkout the engine completely.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #21

Unless it has 300k miles on it I would only get the info on the condition of the transmission. Working a 7.3 hard is good for it, it's made to work hard just like the next 6.0L that has an assume transmission.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:21 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm late to the party, but, that's a good price.

I'd do a very thorough inspection of the truck though.

I spent what seemed like a half an hour inspecting everything under my truck when I bought it. The salesman was asking me if I was a mechanic(I'm not).

I'd entertain the idea buying the truck if I didn't have one already.

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #23

Great engine

The 7.3 was the last and best diesel engine ford ever had in there trucks..Its been all downhill from there...
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #24

I have a Pal that uses his Ford with the 7.3 to pull all his landscaping stuff . Including a mid sized tractor. He runs it al.ost everyday, and hasn't had any complaints, except that he would like more horse power. He says it's slow. I can't say because I've never driven one.

Personally I think there a good engine from all that I have heard. There just a little long in the teeth now.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
I have a Pal that uses his Ford with the 7.3 to pull all his landscaping stuff . Including a mid sized tractor. He runs it al.ost everyday, and hasn't had any complaints, except that he would like more horse power. He says it's slow. I can't say because I've never driven one.

Personally I think there a good engine from all that I have heard. There just a little long in the teeth now.
My dad had a 92 non-turbo 7.3 back in 96or so awesome truck. I just borrowed a friends 97 f-superduty with a 7.3 the other day and it has quite a bit of turbo lag but takes off like a raped ape mid way through the rpms. They are good trucks and I would hesitate to buy one if the price was right not for $10k though. The lag wouldn't bother me in my book that's old school diesel with a lil bit of smoke that's the way it should still be.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #26

I think he compares his Amg Mercedes to his pickup. He drives pretty darn fast.

Now if you own a new Ram you can still have turbo lag and a dead pedal under certain conditions. I thought my 14 was OK until I hot the pedal on an on ramp, then had to back off, and then hit it again to merge and I wasn't going anywhere for a second or so. Didn't like that.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote