Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #1

99 F350 7.3 opinions please

Currently I have a 2000 F250 5.4 and theb power is terrible. I pull an 85 27' jayco fifth wheel. Its got 180xxx miles so im sure shes just tired.

Now, ive found a 1999 F350 SRW 7.3 turbo diesel with 225xxx but it looks very clean. I know diesels run a lot longer and more power when properly maintained. What should i look for tonight when I go test drive it.

Also, they are asking $9,995. Im in iowa and the trucks NOT rusty
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #2

For 7.3s, the price is about right.
There is a long list of common issues with those trucks, but it's too lengthy to go into. If it drives good, doesn't smoke black with wide open throttle, then I'd get it.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, the Navistar 7.3L engine will run a long time...the transmission however, is still a Ford.

My F350 lost the transmission at 152,000 miles (heat build-up is the worst enemy of an auto), so I replaced it with a remanufactured transmission and added an additional external cooler with a built-in blower. Then drove it another 80,000 issue free miles before selling it.

If buying now, I would check the fluid condition closely and during the test drive, pay attention to the shift points with the overdrive button on and off.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #4

Thanks all. Im a novice to diesels but know enough to stay away from the 6.0
Old 06-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Never had a problem with mine to 180k miles, plenty of power for towing.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #6

Mileage is roughly 9 times around the world. That is a lot of mileage. You may luck out and not have problems but there are certainly major components that are on the brink of breaking down.
Personally I would look for a lower mileage unit with no more than 125K. You will pay more but will have less problems.
Before buying check with a repair shop that specializes in these engines and ask them what you can expect for repairs. The prices will shock you and unless you have deep pockets will quickly drain your bank account. The 2nd quarter million miles are always more trouble prone and is one reason people trade in their diesels before the warranty runs out!
Good luck with your search.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #7

Ive decided not to get it. Dealership isnt my favorite place. Told me my truck was worth $1000
Old 06-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #8

No offense, but it bothers me when people make a big deal about dealer trade in's. I have no doubt your truck is worth more, BUT that is retail pricing. If the dealer gives you what you want (retail pricing), then they can not make a profit, and might even lose money on it. They are a business, and they make money. That's a business.
When you give a trade in, you are losing money so they can make money, so you can get a discount on the new vehicle, and so you don't have to wait to sell it; basically a convenience fee.

So, like I said, I'm sure it's worth more, but maybe not to them. It's just business; that is all they are willing to pay for it so they can make money.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
No offense, but it bothers me when people make a big deal about dealer trade in's. I have no doubt your truck is worth more, BUT that is retail pricing. If the dealer gives you what you want (retail pricing), then they can not make a profit, and might even lose money on it. They are a business, and they make money. That's a business.
When you give a trade in, you are losing money so they can make money, so you can get a discount on the new vehicle, and so you don't have to wait to sell it; basically a convenience fee.

So, like I said, I'm sure it's worth more, but maybe not to them. It's just business; that is all they are willing to pay for it so they can make money.
My problem was he said my truck is "it isnt worth anything and theyd help me out with $1000" lied and said brakes and tires were shot. New brakes were installed BY ME 5,000 miles ago. Tires have half tread. Then when I said hell no ill go somewhere else he jumped and said theyd give me $3,000. I started at asking 5k. And then theyd knock $1,000 off the new one but they pissed me off. So when you treat someone like crap then turn around and save face by offering me damn near what I was asking. I know it wasn't a new truck I wanted to buy but $10,000 to me is a hell of a lot of money. But, their loss. 7.3 diesels are a dime a dozen so no loss for me.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #10

x2 on the 6.0 with the 7.3 ask if they have added the additives to the antifreeze or have the antifreeze tested
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #11

This has a banks engine brake on it. Theres a toggle switch on the dash. How does this work?
Old 06-22-2014, 06:58 AM   #12

I have two 7.3s. A 2000 F250 4x2 265,000 mi and a 2001 F350 4x4 195,000 mi, both SRW both Extended cabs. The 7.3's are virtually bulletproof, exceptionally easy to work on if needed and ultra reliable. As far as power goes they suffer from a bit of turbo lag, but once going do very well through the mid-range rpm's but begin to suffer again at higher rpm's. Passing or entering on ramps with 10,000+ on the pin becomes an interesting experience. There are turbo upgrades available that help tremendously. I have friends whom have upgrade the turbos and the difference in pulling with the reduced turbo lag is like night and day.

The 6.0L, while being the abortion that it is, did have a much better setup for reducing turbo lag from either off-idle or while passing. However as you mention, avoid the 6.0L like Satan himself regardless of the price.

I had an 08 F350 SRW for 2 years - The 6.4 in the 08-10 model years has instantaneous boost and suffers zero lag. I have not had a chance to drive a new 6.7 Scorpion yet, but I'm told they have instantaneous boost and zero lag.

I turned in my 08 at the end of the 2 yr lease for a variety of reasons but the largest being the inability to work on just about anything on the engine without pulling the cab off the chassis in order to do so. Valve cover gaskets after a few years? Forget it, cab has to come off.

If it were me I'd jump all over this 7.3 for under 10k. Even if it requires a transmission rebuild in a while there are numerous rebuilds available for the 4R transmission from Suncoast that make that transmission almost bulletproof: Sun Coast Diesel TransmissionsÂ*-Â*4R100 1999-2003 | Sun Coast Diesel Transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisnuwa81
This has a banks engine brake on it. Theres a toggle switch on the dash. How does this work
Banks does make an add-on exhaust brake that works just like any other exhaust brake - it impedes exhaust flow thus slowing the engine down when using a reduced gear. I'm quite surprised somebody went to the expense of purchasing a banks system when the 7.3 already has an exhaust brake modification available that utilizes the existing EBPV valve in the same manner, for less than 100.00 in parts. (shrug)
Old 06-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
I have two 7.3s. A 2000 F250 4x2 265,000 mi and a 2001 F350 4x4 195,000 mi, both SRW both Extended cabs. The 7.3's are virtually bulletproof, exceptionally easy to work on if needed and ultra reliable. As far as power goes they suffer from a bit of turbo lag, but once going do very well through the mid-range rpm's but begin to suffer again at higher rpm's. Passing or entering on ramps with 10,000+ on the pin becomes an interesting experience. There are turbo upgrades available that help tremendously. I have friends whom have upgrade the turbos and the difference in pulling with the reduced turbo lag is like night and day.

The 6.0L, while being the abortion that it is, did have a much better setup for reducing turbo lag from either off-idle or while passing. However as you mention, avoid the 6.0L like Satan himself regardless of the price.

I had an 08 F350 SRW for 2 years - The 6.4 in the 08-10 model years has instantaneous boost and suffers zero lag. I have not had a chance to drive a new 6.7 Scorpion yet, but I'm told they have instantaneous boost and zero lag.

I turned in my 08 at the end of the 2 yr lease for a variety of reasons but the largest being the inability to work on just about anything on the engine without pulling the cab off the chassis in order to do so. Valve cover gaskets after a few years? Forget it, cab has to come off.

If it were me I'd jump all over this 7.3 for under 10k. Even if it requires a transmission rebuild in a while there are numerous rebuilds available for the 4R transmission from Suncoast that make that transmission almost bulletproof: Sun Coast Diesel TransmissionsÂ*-Â*4R100 1999-2003 | Sun Coast Diesel Transmissions

Banks does make an add-on exhaust brake that works just like any other exhaust brake - it impedes exhaust flow thus slowing the engine down when using a reduced gear. I'm quite surprised somebody went to the expense of purchasing a banks system when the 7.3 already has an exhaust brake modification available that utilizes the existing EBPV valve in the same manner, for less than 100.00 in parts. (shrug)
Thanks for all the info. Yes, I looked up the banks system and its around $1,300 then to have it installed who knows how much. The truck is a one owner and local to me. Hes taken extremely good care. It was a farm truck used mainly for pulling trailers around which is why he had the brake and trailer brake added
Old 06-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #14

If you don't buy it, pass me his name and number. I'd love to find a rust free F250/350 SRW 7.3.