Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #29

That Earthbound trailer probably had a GVW around 62-650, looking at floorplans and specs. They were in bankruptcy in Jan this year.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #30

I saw this pic and I instantly thought of Can Am RV Centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
You all would lose your minds if you ever went to Europe and saw hundreds and thousands of cars and small SUVs towing TTs happily down the Autobahn at the beginning of the summer holiday season.
I watch cycling and see them all the time. European trailers are much lighter and the tow ratings for similar cars is much higher in Europe. Why? I dunno...
They are safe, but I wouldn't pull them across the plains states with a cross wind! The Rockies?
Towing with a VW TDI Touareg? No problem. A V-10? That will pull trees out of the ground. This one has four tons of lead shot in the back so the tires don't spin...

Listen to the Audio on this. The wife is hilarious. "You know you're rednecks when..." And city folks wonder how tractor pulls started...

VW Touareg V10 TDI Vs. Chevy Duramax

Old 09-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #31
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
That is hilarious! Not surprising though. The VW probably has more pulling power, better balance and certainly has more grip than the Chevy. Put some Michelin LTX tires on the Chevy and I'll bet the results will be a little different
Old 09-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #32

No pic but passed a 27ish foot toy hauler pulled by a Armada with NO WD hitch. Headlights were only good for viewing owls.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Years ago I saw a corvette trying to pull a boat it didn't make it far before they switched places.
The boat pulled the Vette??
Old 09-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
That is hilarious! Not surprising though. The VW probably has more pulling power, better balance and certainly has more grip than the Chevy. Put some Michelin LTX tires on the Chevy and I'll bet the results will be a little different
I agree...tires do help, but you can also say that the VW pulls the rear end of the truck down while the truck lifts the VW off the ground, giving the truck more traction.
What's far more critical is the "one tire fryer" of the open diff. on the truck. Even with "4X4", he really only has 2X4. The VW's all-wheel-drive is the same as Audi's Quattro, and the Touaregs also have locking diffs and a very low-range transfer case.

BTW, I had Michelin LTXs as the OEM tires on two cars and they were mediocre and overpriced at best. Replaced them long before worn. Except one, which is stung up on a tree in my backyard for the kids to swing on.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #35
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Yeah, I've heard a few people say that. Problem is I have had over 30 sets, religiously get twice the mileage as compared to OEM Hankooks or Kumhos, (always over 85,000) and couldn't be happier with them.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #36

Just so we're clear, first the 747 carried the Space Shuttle, then the VW towed the 747 for one camera man in an empty field to see if it could be done, then Tundra towed the Space Shuttle infront of thousands of "fans", pomp&circumstance and media. DOH!!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	747.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	46898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tundra.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	46899  

Old 09-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Yeah, I've heard a few people say that. Problem is I have had over 30 sets, religiously get twice the mileage as compared to OEM Hankooks or Kumhos, (always over 85,000) and couldn't be happier with them.
Yup, they do last long and they are quiet. But the reason they last long is the hard rubber compounds they use. Kumhos I've had too, but they were very loud and cupped badly.
My main problem with the LTXs is the terrible wet traction. The don't hydrolpane, but the wet tration (stopping, turning, starting) is dowright dangerous. Realize that if you are buying tires for their longevity, it is ALWAYS ultimately at the cost of your safety (traction).

I have Goodyear Eagle GTs on the family car and Continental ExtremeContacts on the Touareg. This is after 25 years of trial & error and price.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #38
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Maybe the truck versions are different. Ours have great traction in the wet.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Contrary to maybe? popular belief, Volkswagens have pretty stout towing capabilities. I have yet to find something that I can't tow - or remove - with our VW Tiguan - the Touareg's little brother.

Here's a few photos of our 4 cyl, turbo, all wheel drive Tiguan at work ...

Yanking a deep rooted weed/bush outta' the ground

Towing our neighbor's Chevy S10 when he broke down (on the trailer the Tiguan usually rides on behind our motorhome)

Pulling our daughter's 4 wheel drive, 8 cylinder Nissan Titan outta' the snow

Towing "its" car trailer behind itself on a trip to the "big orange" store

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote