Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Adding cargo rack to Travel Trailer

Newbie here and needing advice...31' Travel Trailer is 7,000lbs +/- with 600lb hitch weight...adding a rack 27" wide with gen. and spare will add about 200lbs to the rear of the trailer. I will off set some of that with 3 batteries on the hitch...wondering it there would possibly be an issue with sway? Thanks in advance for any help. Bill

Bill Hodges
ready2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
You are not off setting. You are adding. Might just as well throw it in the floor of the trailer. Weight distribution is just that. Adding weight is also just that. Adding weight to the roof is trouble no matter the weight. Good luck and you probably will get some support from other members so do not trust my judgement.

trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
I think the OP is concerned about the front/rear balance of his trailer after adding a rear-bumper located cargo carrier and several extra batteries to the tongue.

Assuming that to be the case, I'd be worried too. The generator, hanging behind the rear bumper, has lots of leverage to lift the tongue. Figure the distance from the center of the axle to the center of the generator times the weight of the generator(plus carrier, plus...) would have to be under the weight of the added batteries(plus boxes, cables, etc) times their distance forward of the axle, or you'll actually reduce the tongue weight overall. I'm surprised you aren't having sway issues already - for most TT, you want the tongue weight to be 10-15% of the total weight of the TT for best stability if I remember correctly - somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, it's been 10 years since I traded in my TT on a DP.
I'm sure about the physics of changing the center of gravity, just not to desired % tongue weight.
2002 HR Endeavor
tquarles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Vintage RV Owners Club
Do I understand you correctly in that that you'd be adding the rack at the rear bumper, and not the roof?

If so:

The extra length may make a difference due to increasing distance from the wheels to the end of the load, though perhaps not on a trailer the length of yours..

A bigger concern may be:
Do be sure to check with the trailer manufacturer as to how much the bumper can safely carry. Some can have receivers/racks added just as they are, while others require reinforcements of some kind.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
Well Thanks guys yes adding it to the rear of the trailer bolting to the frame...I have not installed as of yet.... really wanted to get a few answers first...Getting out the old calculator.. Thanks for all the advice!
Bill Hodges
ready2camp is offline   Reply With Quote