Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2005, 10:11 AM   #1

I have a problem. We have a 36' challenger 5th wheel and I want to be able to take my Jeep Wrangler with us to go 4 wheeling or just to run around when we are in camp. The problem is that the wife doesn't want me to tow doubles. So has anyone seen or heard of someone carrying it on their truck? I am planning on buying a new truck this year and if that is practical then I would have to get either a F-450 or 550 I am sure if not a medium duty to handle the weight of the Jeep and the trailer.

erics oiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2005, 10:11 AM   #2

I have a problem. We have a 36' challenger 5th wheel and I want to be able to take my Jeep Wrangler with us to go 4 wheeling or just to run around when we are in camp. The problem is that the wife doesn't want me to tow doubles. So has anyone seen or heard of someone carrying it on their truck? I am planning on buying a new truck this year and if that is practical then I would have to get either a F-450 or 550 I am sure if not a medium duty to handle the weight of the Jeep and the trailer.

erics oiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:36 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
There sure seems there is going to be a cost associated with taking that Jeep along. A one-ton truck will handle the weight of that trailer by itself fine, so you are considering what is needed to also be able to bring the Jeep along without towing doubles. A step up to a medium duty to satisfy that is a price to pay.
I don't know how long you have had that Challenger 5'r, but wanting to bring a Jeep along is why a lot of people buy toyhaulers. A toyhauler large enough to sleep the number of people that your 34TBH does AND carry a Jeep puts you towards the upper capacity of a F350 maybe even into a F450. But at least those are both reasonable 'around town' trucks which isn't as often said about the F550 or a MDT.
I however haven't seen a Jeep racked onto the back of a truck.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
My impression was the F450 and F550 were the same truck with different suspension and gearing, so I don't know why one would be better around town than the other. Just seeing a mental picture in my head, I would think you would have to load the jeep over the cab of the truck because of the 5ver being over the bed. That brings up 2 issues. Overloading the front axles with the weight of the Jeep, and greatly raising your center of gravity with the weight that high. I would personally be thinking toyhauler, or motorhome with Jeep as a toad.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:42 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My impression was the F450 and F550 were the same truck with different suspension and gearing, so I don't know why one would be better around town than the other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was comparing the different Ford F-series (F350, F450, F550) a couple months ago just prior to getting my new 5'r.
Paraphrasing my notes to myself, yes the suspension is different, maybe the gearing, and i can't recall without re-reading my matrix, if the brakes or frame had differences, but the differences were a few things.

These differences seemed to me to leave the F450 better suited for towing and the F550 better suited for hauling. The f450 would be a better towvehicle for a 5'r and the F550 would be better to haul a few yards of gravel around in the bed.
I believe the ridability between the two is effected because of this. Sure you could put an air suspension on a f550 to give it better around town drivability when unloaded. But i penciled down in my head that personaly the F550 was out for me as a 5'r hauler IF i also was going to use it as a town driver too IF the F450 was available instead.

I would be interested in hearing if there is anyone else who has researched this, or if there are any F450/F550 drivers and what all the opinions are. I am still on the fence.
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:07 AM   #6

I have seen it done on a class 6 freightliner with a very expensive lift to put it above the cab (4 Door) and on a class 8 volvo with an extended frame sitting behind the cab

03 Dodge 3500 HO Quad LB DRW 48re 4.10 BD Xmonitor gauges Rickson 19.5 x 6.75 Polished Forged Aluminum Wheels Classic Round Hole Michelin XDE-MS 245/70R19.5 H 06 Mobile Suites tk3 #3151
1Thom is offline   Reply With Quote