Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #1

Hi, we just bought our first TT & are trying to find a tow vehicle. Our trailer is 5200lbs dry & can be loaded to a max of 7000lbs. We've heard that a suburban 1500 or a yukon xl with 5.3L V8 and a 373 rear axle can tow 7000lbs. anyone have any advice? what are people using to tow? should we bump yup to a 410 axle or is the 373 adequate? Thanks,

Corrie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #2

Hi, we just bought our first TT & are trying to find a tow vehicle. Our trailer is 5200lbs dry & can be loaded to a max of 7000lbs. We've heard that a suburban 1500 or a yukon xl with 5.3L V8 and a 373 rear axle can tow 7000lbs. anyone have any advice? what are people using to tow? should we bump yup to a 410 axle or is the 373 adequate? Thanks,

Corrie

Old 08-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First...a big howdy from iRV2.

Personally, I'd bump up to the 6.0L and a 4.10 axle. The traielr will never be at the dry weight. Dry weight is a base number with no options or accessories. Any item listed as an option has to be added tothe dry weight. This includes, A/C unit, Micrwave, batteries, awning and any other option plus propane, some water and all of your camping supplies. It is not at all unusual for the loaded weight to exceed the dry weight by more than 1000#.

For the tow rating on the truck, this again is a number based on the base truck, no options, hitch, cargo or even passengers beyond a 150# driver. So for estimating purposes, use 80% of the vehicels tow rating for a loaded trailer weight. Your 7000# tow rating will evaporate to become 5600# for a loaded and wet trailer. This is way too close to the dry weight for comfort as the trailer will most likely be 6200# or up to 7000#.

have fun shopping and remember the number one rule fro RV or truck shopping...NEVER believe the RV or truck salesperson or dealer. His job is to sell trucks or RV's...not offer you advice.

You will find a few (and there are very few) delaers that understand towing and ratings.

ken
Old 08-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #4

If your looking at getting a Suburban anyway, you should really look at a 2500 ie 3/4 ton. This will be a MUCH better tow vehicle. They have a heavier supension, tires, and most importantly brakes. This will make your towing expirence much more enjoyable. And one thing to remember it's not how much you can pull but how much you can stop!

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #5

Hi Corry, welcome to the group! You might find this towing calculator interesting. Plug in the weights pertaining to your trailer and the weight ratings of a proposed tow vehicle.

Ken is absolutely correct. Always use the trailer GVW when calculating what is required in a tow vehicle.
If you use the search feature above, you'll find a wealth of information on properly and safely matching a tow vehicle and trailer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I second the getting a 3/4T whatever - Burb or PU. I recommend the Burb if you are hauling more people than cargo. I went with a ext cab PU because I wanted more cargo space. The ext cab is perfect for me, the wife and the dogs.

The burb and my pu share a similar drivetrain - 6.0L 6spd auto the difference is in the rear gears I have a 4.10 and I think the burb comes with either a 3.42 or 3.73 either will work, however you may find yourself in 3rd gear in order to get the revs up for max HP and torque. These engines have a fairly flat torque curve that peaks near the peak HP - around 4400RPM. I find that between 3000 and 3500 RPM is a real sweet spot - that in my truck equates to 55-60MPH in 4th gear. It makes easy work of the hills. I can also tow in 6th on the flat 60 MPH is just under 2000RPM. The grade braking feature of the tranny is also sweet - just tap the brake and it downshifts allowing the engine to aid in the braking process. While it works great on downhills it works equally well when stopping in town. I find I use way less brake than I did with other rigs I have had. My previous TV was a 99 Tahoe with the old 5.7 and 3.73 gears - I maxed out the GCWR with my Arctic Fox 22H and it performed like a dog compared to the 2500HD Silverado.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #7

thanks for everyone's input & advice...we have decide to llok for something with a little more towing ability. Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Corrie