Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #15

aahhhggg....I did finally check the sticker on THE DOOR (not the door chassis) and sure enough the GAWR (rear) is 6200#. I called Dodge Body Builder #....waste of time. Person sounded very confused even though I gave them exactly what I have including VIN #. Told me the GAWR (rear) is 7000#.

Relatedly, is anyone else having problems with the "Truck" and "Van" links at http://www.rambodybuilder.com/year.pdf ?

Thanks for everyone's help with a newbie. I really appreciate this forum and the friendly and helpful folks here. The Internet is amazing....what did we do before we had it? - hard to even imagine.
Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbound View Post
Not sure what "FMVSS" means(?).
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS)

Big Brother is watching over you.

There are a bunch of different standards, including:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMVSS
Standard No. 120 - Tire Selection and Rims for Motor Vehicles Other Than Passenger Cars - Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses, Trailers, and Motorcycles, to Rims for use on those vehicles, and to Non-Pneumatic Spare Tire Assemblies for use on those vehicles
(Effective 8-1-76)

This standard specifies tire and rim selection requirements and rim marking requirements. Its purpose is to provide safe operational performance by ensuring that vehicles to which it applies are equipped with tires of adequate size and load rating and with rims of appropriate size, type designation, and manufacturer identification.
For more detail, look up FMVSS Standard No. 120
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #17

Oregonbound,
The AXLE may have a higher rating by itself than what Dodge lists. But they won't rate it higher than what the tires themselves will carry. Lots of Dana axles will rate higher by Dana than what the vehicle mfg will rate them, at least that is what I understand.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Not sure what "FMVSS" means(?). I'm going to call Dodge directly and am getting it in for service on Thursday so will ask then as well. Thanks
Just to add to what Smoky says about 49 CFR 571.120, this from paragraph;

S5.1.2 Except in the case of a vehicle which has a speed attainable in 3.2 kilometers of 80 kilometers per hour or less, the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall be not less than the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) of the axle system as specified on the vehicle's certification label required by 49 CFR part 567. '

This insures the truck comes from Dodge with the correct tires and rim load capacity per the GAWR's.
Click on the FMVSS of your choice for years of reading government safety requirements.
For 571.110 below 10000 lb GVWR vehicles and 571.120 above 10000 lb GVWR eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #19

The Ram trucks use the same AAM axles as GM and the axles and wheel bearings are rated at 10,900 lbs. load capacity. As per Ford Motor Co. -

"Gross Axle Weight Rating is determined by the minimum component of the axle system (axles, computer-selected springs, wheels, tires) of a specific vehicle."

No big deal to change the springs, wheels, tires and alter the GAWR for a truck, for the better or the worse. I changed the factory applied tires on my truck that were rated at 3195@80 PSI with ones rated at 3750@80 PSI. The new tires increased the load capacity by 1100 lbs. and improved handling.

The aftermarket equipment market exists to provide improvements to stock vehicles. It has been doing so for decades but it seems a lot of people are unaware of this.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
The manufacturer-certified GAWR, however, doesn't change. It's still the rating shown on the driver's door sticker.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #21

It's all the same axle. Add a spring and heavier tires and the axle rating increases from a 3/4 ton to a 1 ton. Not talking dually here. Nothing in the axle changed. Brakes, shocks, and frame haven't changed. Notice how the axle rating just happens match the load capacity of the tires in most cases.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:52 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
there is a one advantage to higher load rated tires And usually it is its puncture resistance to foreign objects. This is because usually the higher the load rating the higher the tire pressure rating and the thicker or tougher they make the reinforcements in the tire tread and sidewalls.
They MIGHT run cooler at he higher tire air pressure for the same given load.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Dodge shows the 3500 SRW up to a '12 model has a 6200 RAWR. In '13 it goes on up to 7000 lbs RAWR.

looking at Dodge specs shows the rear spring pack at 6500 lbs but with a 6200 RAWR. I think Dodge has a typo on some of their website spec charts.
Indeed. I spoke with a RAM rep. and we determined that the spec for RAWR on the truck's placard is incorrect (as far as axle rating). The RAWR is 6500#, not 6200# as indicated on the placard. He thought that they put the lower # on the placard because the OEM tires were rated for 6380# and they did not want forks to exceed the tire ratings.

Here's the actual email I received:

I found out your situation. While the axle and suspension is capable of 6500 lbs, the tires are only capable of 6200 Lbs [actually 6380 - my addition]. Why we did not explain that on the weight charts I do not know. And unfortunately, you cannot simply buy larger tires and upgrade. While technically you can do it, Chrysler will not provide a new label on the door with new ratings.
I hope this at least clarifies the situation.
Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #24

It's rather hard to out-think the design engineers. Operating any vehicle at or exceeding it's design limits will greatly shorten its lifespan and increase operation costs. Aftermarket companies do not concern themselves with vehicle longevity, that doesn't make them money, nor is why they are in business.
My advice, dance with the girl you brung.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires