Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2017, 08:22 AM   #1

Advertised Weights vs "Yellow Sticker" Weights

We're currently in the market for a used TT and I have been trying to educate myself on capacities and weights so I don't make an expensive purchase mistake. I think I have a pretty good grasp of the numbers and how to figure if a TT is a fit for our current TV. But, a TT that we looked at yesterday (and the salesman's adamant protests that I'm wrong about how the numbers work) has me wondering so I figured I'd check in here for confirmation or correction...

We were looking at a 2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS. The advertised "dry weight" on the brochure and NADA is listed at 4880 lbs. The yellow sticker (with the TT's VIN) states that the weight from the factory including propane is 5402 lbs. It also states that the weight of all cargo should not exceed 848 lbs. (GVWR = 6250). The TT has a 48 gal fresh water tank and the sticker notes that a full load of water = 399 Lbs of cargo. To me this means that with a full water tank, the CCC is only 449 lbs (848-399) which seems marginal for food, housewares, clothing, camp gear, etc., especially when we plan to spend more time away from improved campgrounds/RV parks than in and are planning to add a pair of linked EU2000i generators with a box and to carry fuel for them.

The sales guy is adamant that the 5402 number includes a full tank of water and that the 399 lbs should not be subtracted from the CCC of 848, but it doesn't read that way to me.

So experts - Am I right or did I walk away from a TT that might have been worth looking into further? (I know that the definitive answer could be found by simply having the rig weighed with a full tank, but that's not going to happen with it on a small consignment lot.)

Thanks for any input.
FL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I read those yellow stickers the same way that you did.
To me, your math seems right.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #3

I wouldn't even buy it if it had 848lbs of CCC AFTER water was added. Why run the TT's suspension at max?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I wouldn't even buy it if it had 848lbs of CCC AFTER water was added. Why run the TT's suspension at max?
Good point. It does seem awfully low doesn't it? We're also looking at/for a Winnebago 2106FBS which lists CCC around 3500#...
Old 12-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #5

I think you're right on the money. He's a prime example of a lot lizard that just wants to move the unit.

If the trailer is perfect otherwise and the price is right I would argue that 450 lbs would be enough if you weren't getting the 2 generators, or if you were willing to travel with only 10 gallons, thereby saving you 316 lbs. Look for water close to where you're going to camp. It's not like being over your sticker weight for under a mile will cause catastrophic failure. Depending on tongue weight, you might also have enough cargo capacity left over in your tow vehicle to carry some of the gear, maybe even the generators if you have a pickup.

Good luck and happy shopping!
Old 12-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You are correct, the yellow sticker weight does not include water.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #7

What is your tow vehicle? If you have the capacity, more CCC for boondocking will be a huge help.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
What is your tow vehicle? If you have the capacity, more CCC for boondocking will be a huge help.
F150 FX4 with 5.4 V8 and 3.73 gears. Advertised tow capacity of 9200 lbs, but in reality only have 1395 lbs of payload capacity to play with.

Our search continues...
Old 12-31-2017, 10:51 AM   #9

Hi
Not sure if your white sticker with the vin number is the same as mine but mine only gives ccc as 591 but that is in kilograms they didnt even show it in lbs that number is with full water tanks.hot and cold it makes a lot more sense if you multiple by 2.2 for lbs don't know why it is only in kg.yellow sticker is 1570 carry cap. Gvwr of trailer is 7700lb empty 6250.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:53 AM   #10

It had the CCC in both kg and lbs.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:01 AM   #11

Good decision not to buy that tt. Don't know if this helps, but the dry weight of our tt is listed at 4200 lbs with a gvwr of 7000 lbs. At the scales we are always between 6000 and 6500 lbs. Full of water it is always around 6500 lbs. 50 gallon H2O tank. There are three of us and we haul bikes on the back. We normally do not really pack light especially if we are staying for a month or so.

Hope that helps for what it's worth.
daka320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight