Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #29

Just thought I'd throw in my $.02 worth. I agonized of this same predicament for some time. I finally realized I could get fine fuel economy from a one tone truck if I just slowed down a bit. Ended up getting a new (ish) F350 crew cab long bed with the industry's highest tow capacity and if I stay around 60mph I can get 20mpg all day long when not towing. That's enough for me.

There are loads of deals out there on big one ton trucks right now. Killer-diller deals. I found one with just 9k miles on it and literally stole it. So why put up with a 3/4 ton truck?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #30

We have a NU-WA DA 339rsb and tow it with a gmc 2500 hd short bed ex cab 2 wheel drive 8.1 with the allison transmission and are with in the trucks ratings, my weights are under but not by much ,I have 4 slides. The weights are 13300 as packed for our travels for the trailer,(the trailers gvw is 15400 which would be too much for my truck) the truck is rated for 13800,with the 3.73 gears,(If I had 4.10 gears it would have handled the 15400 , who knew ? ) pin is 2520 truck rated at 2500 raw is 5380 truck rated at 6084 as are the tires. under on the front as well. and the cgvw is 19800 with full fuel and the wife ready to travel and truck is rated for 20000. Granted this is not packed for full timing and I do intend to move to a 1 ton dully D/A in the next few years but you can find a 5th wheel you can live in and tow with a 3/4 ton. I just hate to invest the money in the bigger tuck while this one does handle the trailer ok for now , when I get closer to retirement and longer trips i will get a new truck but for now I feel ok with what I have. 2 wheel drive short bed trucks are lighter than the long bed four door 4 wheel drives, my RAW without the with full fuel and wife is only 2600lbs add the hitch to that and it is fairly light when empty good luck

Old 10-15-2008, 06:58 AM   #31

In contrast to ms9176 numbers, my last truck which was a 2004 Chevy ext cab 4X4 D/A in ready to camp weight was scaled several times at right at 7500 pounds. With a 9200 pound GVWR. Now, hitched to the fiver, the trucks scaled weight jumped to 10,500 pounds and the fivers weight was 10,350 pounds. These weights varied about +/- 100 pounds depending on how we were loaded on any paticualy day. Do not have in front of me the exact axle weights, but suffice it to say it was way overloaded even on it's lightest days of towing. This pulling the trailer in sig, which is rated my the Mfg at 13,500 pounds GVWR. Unless the OP is willing to go down to one slide and very few options on the trailer, I do not believe that there is any "full time" trailer that he will be happy pulling with a 3/4 ton truck. JMHO.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
You didn't say what year trk you have. But assuming you have a 7.3 or equal.Put you some Hellwig 3500lb helper springs on the rear and start looking for what you want. I have a 2001 F250 7.3 4x4 long bed with Hellwig 3500lb helpers. I have the airsafe 25k hitch, 37 gallon extra fuel tank, and a Genbox. I have a 2006 Carrige Compass with 3 slides that I weighed at the truck stop. It weighs 14,700lbs loaded. 3100lbs of that is hitch weight. My truck still sits up just a little when hitched up. The 5th wheel is level. The truck tow's the 5th wheel with no problem. In fact with the airsafe hitch you don't ever know the 5th wheel is behind you. Yes I have exceded what the factory paper saids. But the truck pulls and handles it just fine and has pickup if I put the chili to it.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Leslie,

The 7.3L in a 3/4 ton will pull a heck of a lot more than it can carry. With the extra 37 gallons of fuel(about 300# here plus the tank) plus the Genbox(100# or so). The curb weight of your truck is probably around 7500# plus the fuel load plus the genbox or pretty close to 7900# before you ever put the trailer on it. You claim 3100# on the pin so that is about 11000# on a truck that has a GVWR of 8800# or 2200# over it's rating.

What about the axle and tire ratings? The helper springs do nothing to the rating, they just prop up the rear end.

Additionally, the truck has a GCWR of 20,000# and you are at (7900 plus 14,700#) 22,600# which is 2,600# over the rated GCWR.

We need to be responsible and present the full story to newbies to make a good decision.

Ken
Old 10-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
As far as the tires are concerned. The drive axle has 6760lbs on it according to the weight slip.
The tires are good for 3415lbs apiece. So that is a total of 6830lbs. Which gives me 70lbs under.
As I said the truck does a excellent job. I bought the Carriage new in 2006. Been to California and back. Been up a 6% and 8% grade. The truck does great. If I had a one ton dully it could not pull my 5th wheel any better.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Leslie, your set up may work for you, but it is not the correct way to approach the towing scene for a new comer. They need to look at all of the weight numbers and understand what they mean.

I pulled a 14,400# GVWR, 36.5' 5er with my one ton dually and while over on GCWR, I was under on GVWR, rear axle GAWR and tire ratings. I would not want to pull the trailer with a lighter rated truck and would not want to pull a larger trailer with the truck.

As I said, we need to be responsible and present the full story to newbies to make a good decision. Although I was over on my GCWR, I will not recommned that any one pull over ratings, especially GVWR.

Ken
Old 10-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #36

Location: Fulltimers from Eugene, Or - Now Somewhere on the Road-Currently Rio Grande Valley
Greetings,
Alpenlite 36RL... 4 slides, seperate parlor with office, tv, fireplace... love it..
We full time with our Alpenlite (38 ft overall).. I pull it ( coast along) with my late 07 Chev 3/4 ton 4 door- long bed.. average about 13-14 mpgal.... with 5th... 21 w/o 5th.... Allison tran takes care of truck, 5th and me... yes, Alpenlite is out of business but 08 models still available...
We are in Albuquerque presently .. arrived here for balloon fest and never left... Albuquerque is a great town.... wonderful people and weather is awesome...
Walt

2007 Duramax-Allison Tranny
Alpenliteman is offline   Reply With Quote