Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 04:55 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Ditto on the above, + where is the proof on the Ford warning IH not to sell parts to Ford customers?

Joe
I was told by parts man on the phone at local IH dealer. Now I just show up with IH parts no.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 05:40 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
I bought an 06 F250 6.0 new. I put a K&N cold air intake on it right from the start. To date with 196,000 miles the only thing I've done besides oil, tires, and brakes is the EGR cooler was cleaned, and replace two glow plugs. This year I added a 4" magna flow muffler, and SCT programer to tow my Excel 5th wheel, GVWR 15,500. I towed it across country and am getting 10-12 mpg. This is the best truck I've ever owned. My mechanic is saying the 6.0 could likely turn out to be one of the best engines out there. Of course the verdict is out still on the new 6.7. What I hear is lots of problems with the 6.3's. Good luck
I agree and own one.
Keep the cooling clean by using IH recommended coolant and the oil cooler will not plug. Causing the EGR to fail. And coolant leaking in the engine creating high pressure failing the Head Gaskets.
Do not Idle the engine causing excessive carbon deposits in the turbo that will stick.
Drive it like you stole it and do not baby it, it needs to work. Mileage has no baring on what cause failures, but using the truck hard could help.
My take on all that is Ford has done nothing but stuck to their principal of blaming IH for their own created problems.
It took us years to eventually blame the coolant for all HG failures. I was part of it 7 years ago, and did the move to late after oil cooler pluged with bad coolant full of deposits. Ford blamed it on castings dust, but I only saw coolant deposits that was flushed out using proper coolant and no aggressive flush neither. My truck has been trouble free for years and I love my depresiation after 7 years.
I did have a trouble free GM 6.5 L for 9 years before this one. And that truck also was a GM curse that almost broke the company. It was GM fault also of not doing the proper repairs. Solved it by modifying it before the warranty was over with after market $150 part.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #45

Here's what you do: buy a 2004 f350 dually and yank out the 6.0 and swap it for a Cummins.

http://www.fordcummins.com/
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfsted View Post
Here's what you do: buy a 2004 f350 dually and yank out the 6.0 and swap it for a Cummins.

fordcummins.com - Increase Horsepower with Ford Cummins Diesel conversion kits
Sure, good idea for some.

But you can spend the same amount of money (because their prices aren't labor either) and have a perfect truck.
I've never understood why you take a nice, newer truck and put in an old 12V.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #47

I wouldn't do the swap. I've seen some that have. I'm sure the 6.0 is a great engine if operated exactly as Navistar intended.

A local Ford dealer had a diesel seminar a few years back with a Navistar rep. He started out with "The 6.0 ain't your grandpa's diesel. This is a high tech engine requiring regular oil changes, emissions working correctly and fuel additive."
Old 06-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #48

you can usually buy a 6.0 powered truck cheap after you mention to the seller all the problems they have. they already know about the problems and are in hopes you don't. With that said, the base engine is very tough, and after upgrades that can cost 2-4 grand they can be very reliable. The GM duramax is a well built engine as is the Cummins. they all have there problems and diesel engine problems are expensive to repair.I could go on and on about the GM and Dodge diesels but this post is about the ford 6.0
ronalddusty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:41 AM   #49

I think that's why it's always important to contact all owners of a vehicle. I won't buy any vehicle from a dealer without calling the last owner at the very least.

And especially the 6.0. Otherwise your initial cost is going to be just a down payment.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #50

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
All the 6.0 engines were a problem. The only fix is to replace the 6.0 engine with a cummins engine.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #51

As mentioned in previous posts, the 6.0 is a good engine, it's just the poorly designed and executed emissions stuff the Ford engineering team added to it. It's an easy fix if you don't live in an area where emissions testing is mandatory and don't mind leaving a little smoke behind. I drive a 2004.5 Duramax, that year had a few quirks and engineering disappointments too, but it's still going strong
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
All the 6.0 engines were a problem. The only fix is to replace the 6.0 engine with a cummins engine.
What about the VT365? Were they as bad in their application?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #53

Quote:
Several family members and many customers that I had when I worked at a dealer will show you to be absolutely wrong. Several hundred thousand miles on each of them with pretty much only maintenance performed. But im sure you knew that and just trying to stir the pot. However it is futile.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #54

Quote:
The 6.0 is one of the last affordable diesel truck available. For me and my friends. With over a dozen around we find they can work hard and do it cheap.
Just needs proper coolant that Ford never admitted was the cause of all the 6.0 problems.
Like I said before I cannot afford any other truck then my 6.0 .

Tags
advice, diesel, ford