Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottular1249 View Post
You all are a wealth of information. Thanks to all that replied. I did look at some of the web sites on "6.0 issues" and was a little blown away with the list. I understand that they are good engines once "everything is fixed". The question is where this vehicle is in that process? I have the VIN and may go to Ford dealer to see what's been done it.
I used to have a 2001 F450 with the 7.3 and it was great, but went with the 5er when I got rid of it. I'd be just fine with another 7.3, however unless I misreading the data, an F350 that's 2002 or earlier doesn't have the capacity to tow a 14,000# 5er without exceeding the GCWR. (if any of you know of any, please let me know.)
I plan on this only being an interim vehicle for a couple of years to just tow it for week long vacations until I can full time. Then I'll buy a new vehicle. Hence, I don't want to get something that I put a lot of mechanical repairs into, because as many of you have pointed out, you'll never get your money back. Thanks
Rod
I am just thinking out loud here but if I recall correctly dodge had a high output engine with 6 speed manual tranny back in that era. I believe it had a 16 to 17k tow rating. A buddy of mine has one with 337k on it and still running great. Compared to the automatics of the day these high outputs were a powerhouse.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #16

Some people wont budge on numbers but if you dont mind "being over weight" your current V10 should tow the trailer just fine and best of all you already have it.
84prerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottular1249 View Post
If the engine had problems, would most of them have happened early in it's life and been taken care of by now (It was a one owner).
I talked to several RV dealers about the 6.0 and none of them had anything good to say. Thanks Rod
There is such a thing as "Infant mortality" If something is going to break, it will do so early in it's life.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
IMO if you like fixer upper houses then the 6.0 is for you.
FYI in don't believe that the bullet proof cash cow method is required.
I just flushed out the coolant and put in IH recommended coolant and bought the Scangauge II and been good for 4 years past 5 year warranty period. And plan for many more happy years of ownership.
Now Ford has worn IH dealer not to sell us maintenance parts that are less then 1/2 price.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
IMO if you like fixer upper houses then the 6.0 is for you.
FYI in don't believe that the bullet proof cash cow method is required.
I just flushed out the coolant and put in IH recommended coolant and bought the Scangauge II and been good for 4 years past 5 year warranty period. And plan for many more happy years of ownership.
Now Ford has worn IH dealer not to sell us maintenance parts that are less then 1/2 price.
My truck is still worth as much replacement value to me now as I paid for it 7 years ago.
There are many 6.0s out there more then any other models and their still well priced. I was south all winter an they could not be found for sale at decent price anywhere in Texas to Arizona.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #20

Here's a good 6-video comparison of the 6.0 to the 7.3:

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners
cptgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
That's crazy. Ford completely messes up the 6.0 campaign and now they want to screw downline customers even more? People died because of the 6.0 debacle. IMO, some Ford execs should have done time for their screw-ups. Not unlike GM. There is such a huge lack of accountability in the country sometimes (but that's another discussion).

IMO, anyone who shows blind brand loyalty to any manufacturer is just asking to get taken at some point in life. I was a Ford fan, I left once I saw the 6.0 abortion unfold and how they treated their customers. I've been a happy Cummins fan ever since but everything else on a Dodge seems to break (twice). So I'm not loyal to Dodge either. I drive both trucks out of necessity, not because I have any alleigence towards one or the other.

NOTE: This isn't a shot at you or your rig, Cassiel. Just making an observation about how Ford trys to gouge customers for products that are necessary to keep their trucks on the road.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #22

I know a lot of people that are brand loyal (Ford). I don't get it. If there is something better out there (Cummins), buy it. Flame suit on.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I know a lot of people that are brand loyal (Ford). I don't get it. If there is something better out there (Cummins), buy it. Flame suit on.
Have driven many vehicles with great Cummins engines..... farm tractors do not get you there very fast and though.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:08 AM   #24

I was aware of Fords problems when I bought my 2 year old truck cheap 7 years ago. I had a 98 GM diesel that were also cash cows that could be repaired cheap. Mine lasted 9 years with just a fuel pump control remotely installed when only 2 years old. Did not care about warranty I just did not want to be stranded with a 3 weeks wait for service at dealer.
Same situation with Ford, but the IH and after market are satisfying me.
No dealer service for me for the past 45 years.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
I am just thinking out loud here but if I recall correctly dodge had a high output engine with 6 speed manual tranny back in that era. I believe it had a 16 to 17k tow rating. A buddy of mine has one with 337k on it and still running great. Compared to the automatics of the day these high outputs were a powerhouse.

Chad
I'd have to agree with Chad on this one. If you don't need a "FULL SIZE" back seat, go with the 2000-2002 Dodge Ram as an interim vehicle. I have one, and it is only slighting modded. I did the 4" MBRP, AFE intake, A FASS pump guages, SB clutch and a lower-hp chip. IOW, I didn't want to push the engine to it's limits. Those simple "tweaks" gives me all the TQ I need. I pulled a 35' flybridge boat (11' wide 14' high) at 70 mph the whole way across the US. I estimate the added windage put me at closer to 18,000 lbs in terms of pull weight. That truck pulls waaaaaaaay better than my 7.3 PS.

The ONLY reason I went with the 7.3 PS in this last truck I just bought is that I couldn't find a Dodge MegaCab with low enough miles in at my desired price point. I needed a true Crew Cab for the kids. I still kept my Dodge though.

Don't get me wrong, I do think Ford builds a better "truck" but I'll take the Cummins/ 6spd NV5600 platform any day. I have a lot of articles that I kept of owners who have exceeded 1 million miles with their Cummins without any major hiccups. It's just a good motor, plain and simple.

Try to avoid the "53 Block" though when looking.

The only main weak point in those trucks is the VP44 Bosch injection pump. But you can source that on the internet pretty easily and get it replaced (parts and labor) for around $2,000. Add in a FASS pump when you do that and you'll likely get 300,000 miles out of that next VP44. The newer VP44s are better and using the FASS inures enough fuel for cooling (lack of cooling fuel is what kills them).
Old 05-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #26

Well... I don't mind the 6.0 bad rep. Because I bought a extremely clean 2004 f350 full quad cab with airbags that had 6.0 with 109k miles for only $8000 I put about $1800 in parts to "BULLETPROOF" it and couldn't be happier. you would be hard pressed to find any truck in the same condition for only $9800. I like to turn a wrench and do my own work so the 6.0 was a perfect choice for me.

In my area a similar dodge or Chevy would be over $15000 to $20000
MitchellPnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptgregger View Post
Here's a good 6-video comparison of the 6.0 to the 7.3:

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners
That guy is very funny. Some basic videos of his are good, but for the most part, they are crockery.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptgregger View Post
That's crazy. Ford completely messes up the 6.0 campaign and now they want to screw downline customers even more? People died because of the 6.0 debacle. IMO, some Ford execs should have done time for their screw-ups. Not unlike GM. There is such a huge lack of accountability in the country sometimes (but that's another discussion).

IMO, anyone who shows blind brand loyalty to any manufacturer is just asking to get taken at some point in life. I was a Ford fan, I left once I saw the 6.0 abortion unfold and how they treated their customers. I've been a happy Cummins fan ever since but everything else on a Dodge seems to break (twice). So I'm not loyal to Dodge either. I drive both trucks out of necessity, not because I have any alleigence towards one or the other.

NOTE: This isn't a shot at you or your rig, Cassiel. Just making an observation about how Ford trys to gouge customers for products that are necessary to keep their trucks on the road.
Who died due to a 6.0L? That is the absolute first I have ever heard of that. Lets see your proof of that statement.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, diesel, ford