Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
Hello everyone:
I have been traveling for a while and Had been helped a couple of times.I had my chance to repaid the favors to my fellow RViers a couple of days ago during my stay in
Wilmington,NY.This old gentleman got stuck in a site with vey soft ground,when I tried to help him out I was not very succesful and he had to call his emergency service.
I pull my unit with a 2001,Ford
250,V10 (6.8)5 speed,without double traction.
Please advice concerning the procedure and equipment I need to pull someone in one of those
unfortunate emergencies.It happen to me in the last place I was in NY and someone with a Ford
350 had no problem to pull me out.I hope I had provided enough information,many thanks for your replies.......are chaines better than nylon
straps?more practical?araucano

araucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Limited slip rear end is a definate plus if you are on soft ground. Without it what you really have is 1 wheel drive, with it the power is transferred to the wheel that is not slipping as much. Probably what happened is you got your rear wheels on the soft ground also and then you just dug a hole with the one wheel that was spinning. Moving foreword in a situation like this calls for very careful use of the throttle. If you are still stuck, lowering the air pressure in the drive tires usually helps a great deal. Of course you must reinflate them immediately after you reach firm ground. Tires also play an important part in all this. IF you have what is called a rib tire, off road traction is nill. That is one of the reasony you will see only traction type tires on my trucks. Don't normally need it, but when I do I don't want to be worrying if I will get stuck beacuse of the tires.

Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
A properly-sized tow strap is much easier on the equipment and safer than a chain.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
A 2 wheel rear wheel drive vehicle'a traction can occasionally be improved by applying the parking brake just enough to slow the spinning wheel some. When one wheel spins and the other is still, the spinning one is turning at twice the normal speed. That's my understanding anyway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
hi, in my oponion i would always use a nylon strap as opposed to a chain. if a chain breaks you could get pieces of steel flying like a bomb while the nylon strap could break the result would probably not be as deadly. always carry a tow strap larger than you think you will need to use as a tooee or a puller. take care.
mcgillagorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
In addition to a locking diff and 4wd, some automatic transmissions allow you to start in a higher gear - like 2nd which limits the torque to the drive wheels and reduces wheel spin in soft conditions.
07 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ,6 speed auto, 4x4, Blue Granite Metalic

05 Arctic Fox 22H
Randy the sly old fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
Many of todays trucks and some cars have "Tow Hooks" located in the front of the vehicle..

Normally they are either under the front bumper or in some cases, they can be accessed though openings in the front bumper itself.

If you have these hooks on your vehicle it is better to turn your truck to face the disabled vehicle and use your reverse gear to pull that vehicle out..

Use this method ONLY if the ground is soft or slippery and you are using a 2-wheel drive vehicle to pull with.

If you do not have the tow hooks on the front of your vehicle, but you do have a bumper hitch on the rear of it.. you can still face the disabled vehicle and use your reverse gear to pull it out..

Simply connect one end of the strap or chain to your rear bumper hitch and run the chain, strap or cable under your vehicle and attach it to the disabled vehicle.

The reason for facing the stuck vehicle head-on is so that your rear wheels will remain on the road surface or at least on firmer and dry ground..

When the tow strap/chain etc: is run under your vehicle, it causes the pulling tension to pull "Down" on your bumper hitch and therefore increasing the friction of your rear tires on the ground.
The same effect as putting several hundred pounds of stuff in the bed of your truck when driving on icy roads.

This last procedure for pulling out a stuck vehicle should be used as a "last ditch effort" to help in an emergency situation and not recommended as a routine procedure.

best wishes,
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
4wheel-low range. ive pulled out stuck units several times. if you have a 2 wheel drive unit, carry a longer strap that might allow you to get your vehicle on a surface with traction.
better yet... a come-a-long or winch.
one thing my dad taught me long ago was to let the person that you are helping hook their own outfit up. if something breaks, you wont feel quite as bad.
99 F250 7.3PSD, SRW Crewcab, AFE intake, PRO-FLO exhaust.
2006 25TBS Coachman Spirit of America
lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
And you won't be as dirty...

'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote