Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Aftermarket Exhaust System...

I just lifted my truck over the weekend and talking to some buddies, they sparked my bones on an aftermarket exhaust system.

It's been a long time since I had one on a truck. I didn't mind the sound but I was young and I didn't use that truck long for camping as I sold it to purchase my first home.

But I am now finding myself itching to put something on this tow rig. I have two concerns. What others in campgrounds think and what is too loud. I don't normally care what others think ,but I do want to be considerate for other campers as we are normally late arrivals.

Anyone have aftermarket exhaust on their tow rigs? What type are you running (cat back or just a muffler)? Have u ever had any complaints from other campers?

My wife andi never cared about stuff like this. I am only thinking about it because we went camping in West Virginia and Virginia last year and they are very strict about noise. In fact, they close the gates at 10pm and do not allow folks in if they arrive late. So we slept in the lot until morning. First time we have ever incountered that...

poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #2

I'm 57 years old and have always been a gear head and I've also considered putting different exhaust on my '03 GMC with the 8.1 that I pull the camper with. I think it would sound great, listening to some of the Harleys that are on the road make me want to make my own noise but this truck is just so nice and quiet inside it would be a shame to have that disruption. Still, I wonder how loud it would be in the cab going down the highway...

Old 04-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow, brings me back to the days of Cherry Bomb Glasspacks and split manifold on my 51 Chevy. Loud and fun.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #4

You may be able to find some more info in a forum dedicated to the type of tow vehicle you have. I had an 04 f150 that I put flow masters on, it sounded great but the highway drone was a bit much. I could get used to it, but my son riding in the rear seat didn't like it too much, he would get car sick all the time, switched trucks and eliminated the drone no more motion sickness. Once my warranty is up on the new f350 I will be putting on a dpf delete kit, will it be louder to the neighbors? Yes, but I don't come much off an idle in the campground anyway so it's not going to be drastic.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Good point Mack. rlwithrow I looked for an 8.1 truck. Just couldn't find one. Good luck with it. I've been checking out YouTube for sound comparison. I am liking Magnaflow...
Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Was interested to see if adding a Magnaflow Cat-back exhaust would improve gas mileage. Called Magnaflow and one of their engineers said improving gas mileage was not one of their claims. I'll think about it at a later date, or when the original exhaust needs to be replaced. Just added a chrome exhaust tip this morning.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #7

I had put a Magnaflow with 3' pipes on my Suburban with a 5.7l. I liked the deep throaty sound compared to some muffler with a loader higher pitched sound. It was not noisy at all at idle or pulling in late but if you wanted to make noise by hammering the gas pedal you could. It was hard to measure that the milage got better towing but it did a little.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Before I purchased my 14' Tundra (5.7L) had talked to a few others pulling tt's with Tundra's who said they swapped out their factory exhaust with a cat-back system to get better MPG.

But, talking to the Magnaflow tech, he just stated they make no claims to improve MPG, just that customers buy their products for the sound effects. You would only think enlarging the exhaust could only improve things, but I'm sure the Toyota engineers have the stock exhaust set up to maximize performance. Would hate to mess with things on a new truck and confuse the oxygen sensor and the truck run poorly.

My last Toyota SUV I went thru 3 oxygen sensors and had the catalytic converters ( 4 ) replaced twice in 50k miles.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Well I was thinking of replacing my exhaust system just for sound. I would expect a small mpg improvement as you are moving more. I know the flowmasters I had on my 2001 Dodge I bought new with a 360 was loud. I didn't really think about pulling into a site light on the throttle would be un-noticeable. But, I was thinking of the super 10 flowmaster which is the loudest they make that is street legal.

However, as I stated before I checked out the different tones on YouTube and I know it's still not the same as in person ,but I liked the sound of the Maganaflows better then the flowmasters.

I'm still up in the air though. I know there will be increase cabin noise and I didn't mind that 10 years ago. LoL, but I'm a little older and a bit dumber so I may not care for it to much now.

One thing folks haven't responded on is have you heard a loud truck pull in @ night and said WTH???
Old 04-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #10

I think it depends "how late" or even how early. Up till 11pm, I expect to hear noises. I've had neighboring campers fire up a diesel at 5 am and let it idle while they packed up to get an early start. It was not that loud, but was annoying in a quiet campground. So, I think if you can let it rumble at a low rpm, probably safe. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #11

If I were you and want something that sounds great and will not be to loud. Go
With a magnaflow cat back or with a mbrp. If you really want a great sounding exhaust will cost more but will last a lifetime go with a borla cat back.

I am running a magnaflow cat back and because of the inline 5 cylinder motor in my truck I added a magnaflow resonator. Just because in town it would drone a bit. But on the hwy it is very quite almost like stock.

But you can't go wrong with Those's choices.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #12

Let us know what you end up doing with the exhaust and how it sounds. I can't imagine having a loud exhaust under towing conditions, but I am old and grumpy. Have heard many loud trucks in CGs late at night and they bother my wife but not me. Mostly the sound seems to be more related to how fast they want to run thru, not so much as the exhaust itself.
My 450 6.4 has only 4" piping and a MBRP muffler, and it is almost quiet as stock, especially under load.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #13

Just be sure u get the right muffler.......if u have a gas motor u need some back pressure if ur towing!! For higher torque at lower rpm's u need some back pressure!! To be honest......mufflers like Magna-Flow tend to decrease back pressure, which in turn gives u more hp and torque........but at a higher rpm. I have done a lot of research and decided when my factory muffler finally gives out I'm gonna go with a Gibson Swept Side single exit exhaust. The muffler is chambered and gives u more torque from 1800 rpm's all the way to redline. Not from 4000 rpm's up to redline like most straight through designs.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #14

You need to do more research. Back pressure is a myth.
Exhaust: The straight scoop on backpressure - DSM Forums

exhaustbackpressure

Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote