RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #1

Aftermarket trailer backup assist

Hey all, new user here.. Most summers, me and my family are traveling around Sweden in a trailer/caravan, and I've been reading recently about the "Trailer Assist" functionality of Ford and Wolksvagen among others. Not being in the market for a new car, and being a software developer by day, I have started to build an aftermarket solution that I can run using my main phone (in the car) and by fixing a spare (a couple of years older) phone at the back of the trailer. With these two devices I get a video feed when backing up, as well as very accurate estimation and visualization of the hitch angle (thanks to the gyrometers in the phones). Im also thinking of adding the possibility to input a "desired angle" and get steering wheel recommendations based on that (good for the wife)..

Is this all just a crazy idea (I have like 90% of it working already), cause I haven't seen anyone else doing this? Would anyone be interested in trying it out when it's more stable?

TheJaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think it would sell, so a good idea in that respect. I don't know about the VW system, but I think the Ford system is going to leave a generation of trailer backers dependent on an electronic assistant and helpless when they find themselves in a vehicle with out it. At least your idea is portable.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #3

I like your idea and think it has merit.
Fortunately I married a good spotter backer upper helper out'er.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:14 AM   #4

Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm a pretty proficient backer upper myself, so this is 50/50 wanting the solution myself, and wanting the challenge of creating it. No matter how smart an application like this can get, you would still have to turn the steering wheel yourself, which over time would add up as practice I guess.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:02 AM   #5

This is how good ideas start
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:27 AM   #6

I'm starting to think you guys are way to nice to provide any valuable feedback
Old 12-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #7

Early screenshot from development:

Old 12-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #8

Rvs pretty much all have backup cameras on them. What will this provide that they aren't already seeing in the camera. Sorry to interject something negative into your process, but its has merit.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to watch the corners of the tow vehicle as well. Itís easy to concentrate on the trailer and forget about the stone wall next to you, especially if itís not high enough to be seen above the hood of your truck.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #10

To me, it would be better to make it work with a specific Android device you can go buy, rather than an old phone. How are they communicating (Wifi?).

On another note, they have cars that can self parallel park. Pushing a button and having it backup to a hitch doesn't seem like a big jump.

I will say, with the backup camera in my truck, backing up to the hitch by myself (no spotter) really hasn't been a big issue. I get out once or twice just to calibrate my eye. Backing the trailer into a tight spot is a bigger issue for me and where I need a spotter.
john221us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #11

Winniman: first of all, this is not meant for motorhomes or campervans, but for caravans, travel trailers or any old trailer you can think of. Very many car brands have incorporated trailer backup assist technology in their cars, so there seems to be some people who wants/needs it

john221us: well, I think that one of the big "wins" with this is that you don't have to buy another gadget, when you probably already have something that works. In that case there is practically zero investment to get started. I'm building this as a web app, so it will work with both iOS and Android devices. And this is not meant as a help when backuping up to the trailer (google Ford Pro-backup assist or VW Trailer Assist)
Old 12-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #12

Every ad I see for the Ford backup assist is a truck putting in a boat at a boat launch. Basically, it is helping you back up straight. Rvs seldom ever need to back up straight. It would normally be cutting into a campsite, or parking area. This would seldom ever be a straight shot, and even if it was, the bulk of the skill would be lining it up correctly in the first place. I cant see any app being able to anticipate carving a trailer into a 90 degree campsite, missing the tree on the left, and the power post on the right. Other than launching a boat, where would you anticipate this being applied. Perhaps you could market it towards tractor trailers. They quite often have to back up straight to approach loading docks.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:50 AM   #13

First of all, I guesstimate that the intersection of people who wants/needs this kind of assistance and the people who frequents this site is quite small.

That said, I have for example witnessed my father in law trying to get a u-haul back to a straight line after making a turn, with very little success (jackknife, pulls forward, jackknife, pulls forward...) Even though he has been pulling a travel trailer for 20 years.

With steering guidance, maybe it could be used for driving lessons? How to first get the trailer in the direction you want, then keeping the angle constant and so on..
Old 12-06-2019, 02:49 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dumb question here...How do you get the phone in the rear to talk to the phone in the front?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer