Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #1

Air bag pressure when towing

I recently bought a Keystone Cougar 310srx toybox in April. My 2000 F250 ext cab long bed 4x4 7.3 was squatting about 2 inches when loaded so I installed Firestone ride rite bags this weekend. How much air should I look to run in the bags. I haven't had the rig weighed yet but plan on doing that this weekend. I also would like to know if I put the 4wheeler in the back of the trailer how much that would affect the pressure I run? Any help would be great.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There is no way for anyone here to answer that question. Once everything is hooked up, inflate the bags until you are satisfied with how level it is. Then you will know. The ATV is probably not going to make much of a difference, unless it is very heavy and placed quite a ways behind the trailer axles.

Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #3

On my F250 short bed I put just enough to bring the rear end back to the unloaded height which takes about 25 lbs.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #4

Just curious, why do you adjust the rear suspension back to the unloaded height? Does the suspension sag excessively with the load?

I'm not questioning your action, just curious. My Dodge 2500 rides somewhat tail-high when empty, and about level when loaded with pin weight. Is there some reason I would want to bring it back to the unloaded height? (assuming that I have enough suspension travel left when loaded and level, and I do.) Why not just leave it level?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #5

The truck rode almost level when empty maybe a fraction higher in the front. I installed the bags mainly to level back out the 2" drop I had when loaded and to also make sure the trailer was level and not putting to much weight on the front axle.

I suppose it is the difference in the Ford suspension vs. Dodge
Old 10-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #6

Ah, I see. My truck rides high when empty and level when loaded so maybe I don't need airbags.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
When the camper is on and the trailer/Jeep is hooked up I adjust the air bags to the overload springs are almost engaged, ~1/4" air gap between the cushion on the frame and spring.

Seems to work well and limits sway which may not be an issue with your rig.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Adjusting the rear to ride at normal stance also keeps the headlights aimed properly and out of the eyes of oncoming drivers. Plus, in the event of those unexpected curves in the road and dodging flying rubber from tractor-trailers, it helps keep the trailer from "plowing" (lateral force combined with a nose dive).
Old 10-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #9

Thank you guys for all the help, just trying to get ahead and hopefully prevent any other problems.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #10

My rear drops about 2" and when I hit dips in the road the truck contacts the overload springs so I raise it to prevent contacting the overload springs and it makes for a much better ride.

Tags
towing