Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2006, 04:06 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed and Cheryl:
Thank you all for your input. We have always had a short box for towing(this is our 4th 5er) We had no towing issues with the 04 truck and the 03 creek combo, and know the 06 is enough to tow the creek also. Just wanted your opinions re. bags or leaf springs. You can not order an 06 now as they are building 07s. You have to take what is on the lots. Overhead running lights was a huge must have, not the leather seats etc. Finding the truck we needed didn't leave us much. Can't add on the overhead lights but can add on the springs etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep lights are easy
but now we know which silverback
gvwr for it is around 12,090 and a pin of 1690 lbs.
Yep your well inside your tow ratings.
with a few K pounds to play with.
no attack intended by me, just facts and weights.
have a safe tow.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #16

I put Air-Lift bags on an F-150 a few years ago and what a difference it made. I still never exceeded the ratings but was much more stable and felt better pulling our TT. I don't think I ever put more than 25# in each bag.

Good luck.

Frank
Old 05-18-2006, 03:13 AM   #17

Thanks everyone for your input. We ordered the Timbrens and installed them. We have not done any towing with them installed, but think this is our solution. Thanks again
Old 05-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed and Cheryl:
We are picking up our new truck 06 250 4x4 Crew cab Diesel short box tomorrow. We were unable to locate one with all the "must haves" on it so narrowed it down to one with out the camper pkg. Question now is do we add air bags or the extra leaf spring? Opinions please. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did they ever figure out what was going on with your 04? Or did you just give up on it.

Dave
Old 05-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #19

The 04 is history...we hit every Ford dealer on the way home in April from Arizona to Michigan. They kept reprograming and telling us millage would improve. Had to have a new boot on the turbo...millage kept dropping went from 12 to finally 7. It kept loosing power and burping black smoke. First week we were home went truck shopping and by the end of the week parked a new one in the pole barn. Had to go with Ford due to the rebates and A plan discounts.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #20

Frank has a very good point about a truck's capacity and air bags.

The same thought applies to overload leaf springs and air shocks too.

<span class="ev_code_RED">PLEASE DO NOT EXCEED THE TRUCK'S CAPACITY</span>

This is something that everyone should know..

Air Bags will <span class="ev_code_RED">NOT</span> allow the truck to carry more weight or tow more than its designed too.

OverLoad Springs will <span class="ev_code_RED">NOT</span> allow the truck to carry more weight or tow more than its designed too.

Air Shocks will <span class="ev_code_RED">NOT</span> allow the truck to carry more weight or tow more than its designed too.

However.. overload equipment such as bags, springs and shocks will help to <span class="ev_code_RED">STABILIZE</span> the truck when it is loaded to its maximum allowed weight..

Too many folks are under the misconception that they can carry more weight and pull heavier trailers by using those over load devices.. Not so ...

I post this information not as a know-it-all butt-insky, but as a friend that has had first hand experience with the subject..

What you folks do of course, is up to each person's judgement

Best wishes,
John
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:54 AM   #21

John, not to worry, we are ok with weight with out the bags/xtra spring. Thanks for your concern.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #22

Say Harrison Mich.Lilly Lake,Temple Bar,the old days We had a cabin back then and there wow a small world..Bushman Oh and You know Pete Price?or did You know Tommy Ray?other names are gone and forgotten...
Old 05-22-2006, 01:45 AM   #23

Sounds like you spent some time in the Temple /Lake George area...Have had much fun on the Muskegan river,and yes Pete Price no Tommy Ray. When were you up this way?
Old 05-22-2006, 01:56 AM   #24

The early 1970-80 at Lilly Lake..John
Old 05-23-2006, 07:41 AM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Having read thru the replies I can offer a short story.

I did get a truck that would handle my weights; an F350 Dually with the Tow Boss package. Much to my surprise, with the 5er attached is squatted very low and I got a shimmy thru the drive train when accelerating from a start. I put the RideRite air bags in to keep it level when attached to the 5er (about 10 #'s is all it takes) and no more problem.

I don't know why this happened. The Tow Boss provides 13,000 GVWR and 26,000 GCWR and I am WELLwithin those numbers. but then I'm only using the bags to level it out.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:48 AM   #26

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I put a set of Timbrens on my truck, because it was settling four inches. At night I was getting a lot of flashing at me to dim my already dim lights. The Timbrens took care of that ok but I am still not happy with the ride. I only wanted a short bed excab as this is my everday driver. A dually will not fit between my garage doors as I have to make a turn going in. My next truck this winter is going to be a short bed. This truck seems to handle our 12,000 fiver just fine, but to me it does ride a little harsh empty or with the fiver. I was use to 1/2 ton before getting this one.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote