Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2006, 03:20 AM   #1

We are picking up our new truck 06 250 4x4 Crew cab Diesel short box tomorrow. We were unable to locate one with all the "must haves" on it so narrowed it down to one with out the camper pkg. Question now is do we add air bags or the extra leaf spring? Opinions please. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2006, 03:20 AM   #2

We are picking up our new truck 06 250 4x4 Crew cab Diesel short box tomorrow. We were unable to locate one with all the "must haves" on it so narrowed it down to one with out the camper pkg. Question now is do we add air bags or the extra leaf spring? Opinions please. Thanks

Old 04-28-2006, 05:15 AM   #3

Neither. Get the right truck for the job.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:34 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i agre, find the truck you need instead of trying to FIX it, what fiver silverback are you looking at or already own.
a F350,or 3500 might be better suited,
if you share the floorplan and weights we could help the focus.

when we purchased outr cedar creek i figured we would be in limits with our 02 dually..... we were 200 plus over its GCVWR, 200 doesnt seem lik emuch but the trailer was empty at the time.. now we gross 23860 combined and its just a little 38 footer
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
It's a cruel fact, but having the needed weight capacities and necessary equipment for heavy towing is really more important than the 6-CD-changer or the leather seats. Unfortunately, many dealers don't stock "maximum towing" rigs on their lot. That's why many of us (myself included) order our tow vehicles - our 2002 was ordered with the equipment required to obtain the highest GCWR available in that model year.

With no offense intended, if you have the opportunity to purchase a truck specifically for towing a 5th wheel, a 3/4 ton short bed truck is not the preferred choice.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As much as you do not want to hear it, you need to step up to the truck you need for the load. An F350/3500 SRW or DRW depending onthe pin weight. A longbed (longer wheelbase) is the preferred choice as it provides a better ride with or without a load.

Ken
Old 04-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
To amplify a bit on Ken's post, the primary reason a long bed truck is preferred for towing a 5th wheel is that you will likely encounter interference (contact) between the back of the cab and the front of the 5th wheel when the two are sharply angled. To eliminate this possibility, a sliding 5th wheel hitch will likely be required.

A long bed truck does not have this problem since the hitch sits farther back from the cab.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:36 PM   #8

Wow, gents. The guy is picking his truck up TOMORROW, meaning that it's probably alreardy paid for. Without knowing the size of 5th wheel he has you jump all over him for not buying the "truck he needs"???? What the heck? He asked about leaf springs or air bags. Get the heck off your soap boxes and post something that means a crap to the guy. Without knowing the size of load saying something like "get the right truck for the job" is downright shortsighted.
In my "opinion" air bags offer more adjustability than leafs. They are a cost effective way to level the truck. They do not however increase the load capacity of the truck.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
His signature file list a 2003 CC Silverback. These are not light weight trailers. He is asking about added springs of air bags. Neither is the correct answer if you are in an overloaded condiiton.

I'm sure that a decent dealer would understand and work with him to find the truck that better suites his needs and just transfer his deposit over to another truck.

Ken
Old 04-30-2006, 05:34 AM   #10

I'm with you DB. He asked a reasonable question & some jumped to conclusions he is overloaded.
I would suggest he look at Timbren or an air bag system. They would be better then just adding springs.
You know guys, I haul a pretty heavy trailer. My pin weight is under the allowed Ford limit. However my GVVW is over. I run well maintained brakes on truck & I run oversize brakes on the trailer. I do not have ANY stopping problems with my unit. IMHO 90% of trailer braking problems are poorly maintained & adjusted brakes on both units & drivers driving TOO fast. You also have to ensure you have a properly operating brake control unit between the tow vehicle & the trailer. I do not like 'Pendalum' type brake controllers. You NEED a controler that applys the braking as soon as you step on the brakes pedal the same as your vehicle brakes act.
Load on the units is very important but so is safe driving habits & something many to be short of, "COMMON SENSE."
Ed and Cheryl, go with a good quality air bag system or the Timbren product. It ia a very good product set up properly & a little less cost then an air system. JMHO.

Reg
Old 04-30-2006, 06:03 AM   #11

Ed and Cheryl,

I have air bags on my F350 and love them, you can adjust to get the ride you like. With a spring you just can not do this. Happy camping.

Everyone else,

I wont have a F250 either, BUT we all know that the F250 and F350 SRW are the same truck!!!! the only difference between the two on the 4X4 is the height of blocks on the rear end (2" vs. 4"), and the badge that has the weight ratings. Yes I would love to have a DRW and in fact a F550, but I don't and I wouldn't want to drive a F550 empty as a daily driver.
I agree with above posts that we have been harsh with ED. I am one that started out towing with the wrong truck and couple trucks down the road realized I needed a 1 ton. We all learn the hard way.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #12

I use RideRite air bags and they make a big difference in the ride. Adjust air pressure applicable to the load. Had springs on my other truck and they were not the answer.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:04 AM   #13

Thank you all for your input. We have always had a short box for towing(this is our 4th 5er) We had no towing issues with the 04 truck and the 03 creek combo, and know the 06 is enough to tow the creek also. Just wanted your opinions re. bags or leaf springs. You can not order an 06 now as they are building 07s. You have to take what is on the lots. Overhead running lights was a huge must have, not the leather seats etc. Finding the truck we needed didn't leave us much. Can't add on the overhead lights but can add on the springs etc.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:56 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can't add on the overhead lights but can add on the springs etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you can. Light kits are available, and Dodge has a recall out now on thier 06's. There was a batch that got out that didn't have them.