Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
Vintage RV Owners Club
Air Bags or Springs

I am towing a Avion 30p with a F150 ecoboost and all is within the trucks weight limits. I would like to stiffen the the rear of the truck just a bit and wondering if it would be better to add a spring leaf or use air bags. All thoughts are welcome.gps PS empty ride is great so do not want to effect it any more than I have to.

gpscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Big rigs have been using air bags for decades. Springs sag, air bag systems level the load on the axle. When I buy a new truck next year, I will be seriously looking at the Dodge 2500s and up for the factory available air bags on the rear axle. When heavily loaded, the air bags suspension can feel a little harsh, but I don't believe the ride is as bad as steel springs that are compressed under heavy load.

You'll like the ride without a load, too.

ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
When I had my fifth wheel, I added SuperSprings to the rear leafs. Google it and check them out. Really easy to install or take off, probably a little cheaper than going the airbag route as well. They really do work like they claim. I added them on a 2008 Ford F250 Superduty and didn't notice any ride quality loss when driving unloaded. Randy
Randy & Kathy-n-Auggie
07 HR Navigator 43PBQ, 525hp Cummins ISX, 09 Flex Limited AWD
Randyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
My 2003 F250 diesel has AirRide airbags on the rear. When unloaded, I keep 10 lbs. pressure in them, and I like the way the truck rides. It seems with a little pressure in the bags, I can feel the front end suspension a little better.

Air bags are a worthwhile addition to any pickup if it's going to be used to tow RV's or if heavy loads are going to be experienced in the bed.

My only problem was pre-assembling the air bags prior to mounting them on the axle to the frame. AirRide's instructions are written in some unknown English, and only looking on UTube.com allowed me to figure out the assembly. AirRide should sell'em only assembled.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:14 PM   #5
Most add a leafs will raise the rear of the truck when empty. Bags won't if you keep the min 5psi in them. Timbrens will do the same as both and the ride will be like stock when empty.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Like the Firestone bags on my truck. I got the cab controller as well. Makes it so easy. 5psi when not towing. Rides good.
2015 Landmark Newport 365
2015 Ram 3500 4x4, CTD, DRW ,MC ,AISIN , 4.10's,
Six Burning Six Turning ! ,RVM 104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
Air bags! I've used them on all my pickup trucks for the past 20 years. Never had one fail.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #8
Vintage RV Owners Club
Cumminsfan: Do your Timbrens make your truck ride hard or jolt a lot when you are setting down on them? I have heard this complaint, but that was years back. Thanks in advance gps

gpscotty is offline   Reply With Quote