Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2017, 01:22 AM   #1
dp7

Air Force one installation on a Wrangler JK

I have a new Wrangler JK on order & while waiting I have been looking at some YouTube installation videos.

In one video the control box was mounted behind the plastic air dam. This arrangement seemed convenient for routing the hoses under the hood, but seemed rather vulnerable to flooding during shallow water crossings.

In the other video, the control box was mounted under the driver seat. This location looked favorable for keeping the unit dry, but the hoses including the large vacuum one had to be routed from under the seat & thru the firewall.

I would be interested in hearing where others have mounted the control box in their Wrangler JK.

The other question was in regard to the LED mounting location. I have seen some that were mounted on the back of the rear view mirror, while others were mounted on the dash at the bottom of the windshield. Is one location better than the other for visibility in the coach camera?

TIA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
I have a new Wrangler JK on order & while waiting I have been looking at some YouTube installation videos.

In one video the control box was mounted behind the plastic air dam. This arrangement seemed convenient for routing the hoses under the hood, but seemed rather vulnerable to flooding during shallow water crossings.

In the other video, the control box was mounted under the driver seat. This location looked favorable for keeping the unit dry, but the hoses including the large vacuum one had to be routed from under the seat & thru the firewall.

I would be interested in hearing where others have mounted the control box in their Wrangler JK.

The other question was in regard to the LED mounting location. I have seen some that were mounted on the back of the rear view mirror, while others were mounted on the dash at the bottom of the windshield. Is one location better than the other for visibility in the coach camera?

TIA
Really? No one running an AF1 on a late model Jeep Wrangler (JK)??
Old 07-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
FWIW from my experience running air lines into the cab area or our Dodge Dakota I'd not run any more lines then I absolutely had to into the cab. When I was looking at where to mount mine 1 of the locations that was possible was on top of the air box on the top of the engine, because I had plenty of hood clearance. Actually the control unit can be mounted anywhere under the hood for easier instillation.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #4

My friend has an Air Force One on his '16 wrangler. The main control box is under the hood right in front of the master cylinder. It is a very nice system and works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post

TIA
QMThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:58 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Jeep JKL 2017 AF1 install location

Starting to install in Jeep and wanting to know where you installed the AF1. I think under the hood makes the best sense.

Thanks!
rlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:52 PM   #6
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlust View Post
Starting to install in Jeep and wanting to know where you installed the AF1. I think under the hood makes the best sense.

Thanks!
I made an aluminum mounting plate and attached it with threaded rods at on end & used existing bolts at the other. No holes were added to the Jeep. The AF1 control box attaches to the plate. It is a tight fit but clears the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008 small.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	240423   Click image for larger version

Name:	011 small.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	240424  

Click image for larger version

Name:	013 small.jpg