Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #15

There is this.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...0-02-4400.html

Install in the rise position.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion View Post
Yes I'm using an E2 WD hitch with 800lb trunnion bars
My Creekside has a ball hitch height of 32". So far, I haven't been able to find a receiver that will give me a ball height higher than 28". How have you managed in this regard?

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eipo View Post
There is this.

If that's to much rise

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...0-02-4900.html
Old 07-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #18

If you can get the hitch ball to the proper height, the avg 2" above the coupler when the trailer is level then you will be able to get the hitch bars properly loaded and allow them to carry the load better. As mentioned previously. I use an Andersen Hitch with a 10K trailer and pretty hefty tongue weight and good road gives me a great ride. A dippy road surface does make it bounce a little but the hitch performs very good. I added some Timbren rubber springs in place of the factory bumpers and they help pick up the load when really needed. Get it leveled up and you should see a big improvement.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eipo View Post
There is this.

That's the one that I'm using. It gives me a ball height of 28", truck empty before hooking the trailer up. The trailer wants the ball at 32" when hooked up to the truck. The truck drops 3" when the trailer hooks up, so I assume that the ball height will have to be about 35" or 36", truck empty. WOW!

Is there something available that will raise the ball higher? That will be about half way up the tail gate.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Old 07-28-2016, 10:55 PM   #20

I know this may not be the cheapest solution but is there anyway to lower the TT?
That TT would even be high for my 12 Ram 2500. My receiver hgt is about 25" to center.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
That's the one that I'm using. It gives me a ball height of 28", truck empty before hooking the trailer up. The trailer wants the ball at 32" when hooked up to the truck. The truck drops 3" when the trailer hooks up, so I assume that the ball height will have to be about 35" or 36", truck empty. WOW!

Is there something available that will raise the ball higher? That will be about half way up the tail gate.

Jim
Is there any way you would want to provide some pictures....

This...

Quote:
I put 7 washers in the Equal-I-Zer. I use the trailer jack to lift the truck and trailer high enough to be able to slip the bars into place. I lower the jack and measure. The rear measurement is still 36" The front measurement is 36". So I think, all is good.
Leads me to believe something isn't set up right when put into context of everything else you have said. You aren't dealing with an obscene amount of tongue weight for your truck. So you may need to play with the angle on your hitch head and the height of the hangers attached to your trailer tongue.

Cummins may have provided your only solution if 13" of rise isn't enough.

I'm not sure whats going on with the air bags. I don't have enough experience with them. But in general, if the amount of pressure in them makes no difference in ride height, then they must not be making contact with the axle and/or the spring bucket. In other words, actually supporting any weight. Sounds like they may be to short.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #22

I don't know where the problem lies but it must be something specific to your trailer or truck because there are not other stories like yours all over the forums but there are plenty of Creekside trailers being pulled by half ton trucks.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I have attached some images.

The first image is simply to show how much downward slope the arms have when there are 7 washers installed.

The second image shows that the air bags completely fill the coil spring top to bottom. They are not too short, they completely fill the space. This is with 10 psi in the air bags.

The next picture shows the hitch setup on the truck. This is with 5 washers and 30 psi in the air bags.

I read that some can hook up their trailer and the rear of the truck only drops 1/4" with 30 psi in the air bags. Air Lift state that these air bags can only be inflated to 30lb. I tried a pressure of 40 psi, and when I hooked up the trailer, the rear dropped 2". That's the other thing that I don't understand. Air bags at 10 lb or 40 lb, when the trailer drops onto the hitch, the truck drops 2". Hmmmm.

The next picture shows the truck hooked up to the trailer, ready for our trip tomorrow. 5 washers in the WD, 30 psi in the air bags. 2" down at the back axle, 1/2" high at the front axle. We'll see what happens when the wheels roll tomorrow morning.

What the pictures don't show is the trailer is not level. It is 4" low on the front end. I'm beginning to think that my problems are being caused by this fact. Once I solve this situation, I think everything else will fall into place.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should contact the folks at Outdoors RV to find out what they think about all this. Maybe they would have a simple answer?

I am intrigued and puzzled by the view from some that my situation is unique. I bought a 1/2 ton towable trailer, and a common everyday run of the mill 1/2 ton. Should I have bought a Toyota truck or a Keystone trailer?

Let the fun begin!

Jim
Attached Images

Canada, eh?
Old 07-29-2016, 09:25 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Our run of the mill Dodge 1500 Eco Diesel 1/2 ton, equipped with Air Lift 1000 air bags in the rear springs.

Jim
Attached Images

Canada, eh?
Old 07-30-2016, 04:17 AM   #25

Air Lift 1000 Air Bags and Equal-I-Zer Hitch

You can get a taller shank to address the nose down issue. Compare yours with the bolt holes using all the vertical space with one of the ones I linked to that show the holes not taking up the entire vertical area of the shank.

Fix that and I bet most of your ride issues go away. Adjusting the hitch head angle is just a bandaid at this point because the trailer tongue isn't as close to parallel with the ground as possible.

This is going to sound like a dumb question, are you sure you air gauge is functioning correctly?
Old 07-30-2016, 04:26 AM   #26

Oh, and don't get to hung up on the "half ton towable" moniker. Many of the "half ton towable" trailers will push the limits of a good half ton truck. Pay attention to the specific numbers.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:14 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same thought yesterday about the air gauge! Checked that. It's OK. I have a few of them.

We'll see how things run today. I agree with you. I feel that I'm coming to a better understanding of this, and solving the hitch height issue will probably solve everything.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Old 07-30-2016, 12:57 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
We have driven 60 miles and stopped for breakfast. Wow! It's handling and riding GREAT!

I had too many shims in the Equal-I-Zer. There were 7, I reduced that to 5 shims. All of a sudden I'm running 32 lb in the rear airbags, the rig is riding smooth and handling great!

So, next I'll find the easiest way to get the front of that trailer up 4", and I think we're good to go!

Thanks for putting up with my rantings and my brain inefficiencies. Your comments and suggestions have been a huge help to me.

Jim
Attached Images

Canada, eh?