Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #1

Air Lift 1000 Install Complete

Well, just finished installing my Air Lift 1000 air bags on my 2013 Ram 1500. Absolutely the hardest part is getting the air hose and clamps over the barbs, finally got my heat gun and heated the tubing to soften it to get it over the barbs,plus the clamps are pain working in a small space. I think if i did it again ,i would try install the air hose befoer the bag was fully inside the spring.

Waiting now to see if i have any leaks, and will report results the next time we tow ( about 2 weeks )

Question ??? I am not sure if i should inflate the bags before i hook up or after ? My reason for the bags was to get rid of a little bit of squat i had ( even with WDH ) I realize i will have to experiment with the pressure, but, ant opions welcome !!!

Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #2

Pump em up to 100lbs to seal all the fittings
Old 08-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #3

You can do either. For the first time, I would have bags at minimum psi (15, I think). Then air up so you know how much psi for a level truck and trailer. Sometimes loading with full bags can be a PITA because your tongue jack may be maxed out in order to get onto the hitch.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Pump em up to 100lbs to seal all the fittings
DO NOT DO THIS!!! The max psi on a set of 1000 bags for a 1/2 truck is only 35psi. Going up to 100psi will damage the bags.

As far as inflation goes, it does not really matter. I would suggest starting with 15-20psi then tweaking it from there.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:56 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bags should always have SOME pressure in them (Manual says how much)

When I used Air Lifts on my tow vehicle I inflated to minimum for driving about then when I hookied the trailer inflated to level.> Worked great.

I'm considering air lifts for this Class A but may go with Firestone instead.. but I l.ike Air Lift.

OH and thank you for choosing a product MADE IN MICHIGAN.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:43 AM   #6

Air Lift Company So air them up before or after hooking up the WDH ? Just concerned about lifting the rear end with the bags inflated( maybe causing shifting/dislocation of the bags ) ????

Thanks
Old 08-25-2015, 07:14 AM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Thats only one of the components that determines what that truck is capable of towing, what are you going to do to upgrade the others?
Old 08-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Air Lift Company So air them up before or after hooking up the WDH ? Just concerned about lifting the rear end with the bags inflated( maybe causing shifting/dislocation of the bags ) ????

Thanks
This should help you out! https://www.airliftcompany.com/works...s-air-springs/
Old 08-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #9

First of all ! Thanks Air Lift, a great company to deal with,really support their product !!!

wandering1 Thanks, but i feel i'm towing well within my trucks limits safley.
I have already felt an improvement in daily handling with the air bags,and think that will tansfer to towing my 5800# ( dry) TT with my 8900# rated Ram 1500. Have read they are known for soft rear coils, we will see, and no, not trying to make my 1500 a 2500 !

Again, Air Lift a great company to deal with !!!

Jim
Old 08-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #10

Will post pics. tomorrow of before and after, just going to hook up for the first time since adding the Air Lift 1000.

Jim
Old 08-26-2015, 07:43 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
First of all ! Thanks Air Lift, a great company to deal with,really support their product !!!

wandering1 Thanks, but i feel i'm towing well within my trucks limits safley.
I have already felt an improvement in daily handling with the air bags,and think that will tansfer to towing my 5800# ( dry) TT with my 8900# rated Ram 1500. Have read they are known for soft rear coils, we will see, and no, not trying to make my 1500 a 2500 !

Again, Air Lift a great company to deal with !!!

Jim
Thanks for the kind words Jim! Let me know if I can help in any way.

Tags
install