Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #1

air lift and weight distribution hitch

So I have a weight distribution hitch and I recently put airbags on my truck my brother in law tells me you don't need to use the tension bars anymore because of the airbags is this true?
pappapump13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #2

Air bags are just that " air bags". If you have the weight distribution I would use it also. Just a safety measure in case of Air Bag failure
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #3

Air bags "LIFT" the rear.
WDH distribute weight back to the front axle of the tow vehicle.
2 different events.
Adjustment of WDH is probably different with airbags as without them. Air bags will keep some bounce from occuring as they prevent the trucks rear from dipping as low. I'd adjust the WDH with the PSI in the bags you are gonna use to tow with.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #4

Sounds great to me I feel more comfortable with both anyways so that's how I'm going to use it
Old 08-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappapump13 View Post
Sounds great to me I feel more comfortable with both anyways so that's how I'm going to use it
Good idea.

To set it up, deflate the air bags and adjust the hitch so that about 25% of the total hitch weight is distributed to the front axle of the TV, another 25% of the total hitch weight is distributed back to he trailer axles, and about 50% of the total hitch weight remains on the rear axle of the TV. Then air up the bags with only enough air to take the slack out of the rear suspension. If the rear end of the TV still sags some, then add more air to the bags to achieve the unloaded stance of the TV, so the headlights are pointing down the road and not up at the stars.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I tow a TT and have just ordered the air bags for my pick-up (had them on my last truck). I just like to have control of the rear sag and if I add more weight to the bed while towing.
arveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #7

Thanks smokey
Old 08-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Smokey has it right. Next issue to not listen to the idiot brother in law.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #9

Yes I agree not gonna listen to him
Old 08-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #10

I had a GMC HD2500 to pull our new TT....first time for me towing. The dealer set up the WD hitch and it porpoised like crazy. Several folks said to buy the air bags, so I did. Then it bounced like a basketball, and rode like crap unloaded....with 5# of air unloaded it was like a rigid frame harley.....my back hurt all the time.

Finally, I met a guy that set me straight. I took off the air bags and tightened up the chains in the hitch to level the truck.....big improvement and no more porpoising. The dealer just did enough to get me off his lot...jerk.

Fortunately, airlift had a 90 day return policy, and graciously took them back for a full refund....just did not work for me. I think they would be good for a 5th wheel due to tje pin weight, but for a TT, the properly set up hitch is the better solution, imo.
Zogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
I had a GMC HD2500 to pull our new TT....first time for me towing. The dealer set up the WD hitch and it porpoised like crazy. Several folks said to buy the air bags, so I did. Then it bounced like a basketball, and rode like crap unloaded....with 5# of air unloaded it was like a rigid frame harley.....my back hurt all the time.

Finally, I met a guy that set me straight. I took off the air bags and tightened up the chains in the hitch to level the truck.....big improvement and no more porpoising. The dealer just did enough to get me off his lot...jerk.

Fortunately, airlift had a 90 day return policy, and graciously took them back for a full refund....just did not work for me. I think they would be good for a 5th wheel due to tje pin weight, but for a TT, the properly set up hitch is the better solution, imo.
I have airbags on my truck and was about to take them off also because my truck was bouncing also. I did two things, the rv dealer increased the angle of the Equilizer hitch and I decreased the air pressure in the air bags to 14lbs and it worked like a dream. To date I have had no more problems.
Joe N is offline   Reply With Quote