RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #1

Air Ride Fifth Wheel Hitches ?

Are the air ride hitches worth the big dollars... enlighten me .. Hensley makes what looks to be a beast of a hitch ! Is a good pin box with air bag and shock going to be close to same results for smoothing things out a bit... I have a 3500 Ram dully and I'm doing some 5er shopping and a lot of what we've looked at is in the 16 to 20k weight range...

thanks in advance for feedback....

JoeOSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #2

My Trailer Saver TS3 is worth it to me. I originally bought a B&W Patriot, but my trailer is a chucking machine, so the ride was terrible. I bought the Hensley hitch, problem solved. I now enjoy comfortable tows, plus my gear is being protected. There are many posts recently about frame failures near the pin box, yet many persist with solid hook-up hitches such B&W, Andersen, Curt and Reese; pounding the welds from both truck and trailer generated forces.

Air pin boxes have the disadvantage of having a single shallow air bag that requires high pressures. They lose their effectiveness with high pin weight trailers. If you upgrade your trailer, your air ride goes with it.

Neither will give you protection from large heaves such as railroad tracks. However the absorption of the little bumps will leave you refreshed after a long tow. Get a Trailer Saver at the outset. The sting of their high cost will disappear a couple of miles down the road.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:32 PM   #3

Hensley Hitches are well worth their cost. An air ride pin helps, but the air ride hitch isolates the truck from the trailer. It absorbs all the hard bridge joints and potholes.
We have a TLSB with the 3rd airbag. Trailer weight is 24800, with a 4850 pin weight.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:37 PM   #4

You can watch YouTube as guys set up a Go Pro camera with air bladder hitches. You will see how the air bladder will keep the trailer from bouncing and thus keeping the Keurig on the counter and not smashed on the floor.

I would say they are worth it if you plan on towing 5th wheels.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:37 PM   #5

Cecil... who did you get your Hensley from ?
JoeOSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOSB View Post
Cecil... who did you get your Hensley from ?
Factory direct. I think that is how they go to market. Can't say if they have any dealers. Occasionally, they come up on Craigslist used, but still fetch a good price.

I wasn't happy having to drop three grand on a hitch, as I didn't budget for it. In hindsight, the hitch is probably one of the largest contributors to my RVing pleasure.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:59 AM   #7

I have the TSLB as well. There worth there weight in gold. I use to question the cost till i bought one. Solid hitches are obsolete. My pin weight is 5800 and trailer axles of 16900 So 23k and change maybe 24k currently. So i have the 3rd bag as well.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:36 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good information as I am presently looking at purchasing a similarly heavy setup. I will budget the $$ for the TSLB. Any idea how long it takes to get one shipped to Washington?
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:47 AM   #9

Anyone know if a air ride hitch or a air ride pin box is better? I have see both. I would think having both is overkill and probably not a good idea....maybe too squishy if there is such a thing when towing a 5th wheel.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:38 AM   #10

the hitch helps more. takes shock and bump out of the pin box area
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:36 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOSB View Post
Are the air ride hitches worth the big dollars... enlighten me .. Hensley makes what looks to be a beast of a hitch ! Is a good pin box with air bag and shock going to be close to same results for smoothing things out a bit... I have a 3500 Ram dully and I'm doing some 5er shopping and a lot of what we've looked at is in the 16 to 20k weight range...

thanks in advance for feedback....
This BD5 is of high quality and works as advertised. Incredible performance. Beware that they are very heavy if your borderline on payload
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vqIaY3IcQmeug4ExcnzKsw.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	247991  
Old 06-11-2019, 10:54 PM   #12

I have a Hensly BD 3 . Which are safe for a trailer up to 18,000. I had a solid hitch before . Had a solid hitch . You can talk till the moon turns Blue about all the solid hitches l am sure they are fine . Untill you hook up and pull with an airide you just don't know what a great ride is. I have had mine for 7 years thousands of miles and never had to pick clothes off the closet floor Never a malfunction or airbag leak .A Great made in America product .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:05 PM   #13

For 5 years I had the Morryde pin box and during that time, I had the front closet door mirror crack twice from hard hits. Last summer I installed a Trail Air pin box and the fifth wheel now seems to float.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #14

A Moryde pin box is better than a solid connection but not as good as a air ride hitch. I only drove a friend's truck once with a small 5th wheel that had an air ride hitch. This was on a 2004 F-550 so I could not tell for sure it it was a big truck with a small 30' 5th wheel or the air ride hitch but it sure was a smooth towing experience.

Tags
air, fifth wheel