Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #1

Hi...After much research I have decided to buy a Air Safe 20k or 25k Omni Directional 4 air bag hitch.

I currently have a RBW and Truck and Trailer ride level.My Bed Rail hieght is 59" with 30 psi in my airbags and without trailer.My hitch head hight is 15" from Truck bed.

The Air Safe has adjustments of 14-21". If I would set it at 14 or 15" will that be able to keep me level don't want to ride nose high.I have 5" clearance now from bedrail to camper.

If anybody owns one I could use some feedback on setting it up.

Thanks

2005 Cardinal 35 CKT
RayRiviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #2

Hi...After much research I have decided to buy a Air Safe 20k or 25k Omni Directional 4 air bag hitch.

I currently have a RBW and Truck and Trailer ride level.My Bed Rail hieght is 59" with 30 psi in my airbags and without trailer.My hitch head hight is 15" from Truck bed.

The Air Safe has adjustments of 14-21". If I would set it at 14 or 15" will that be able to keep me level don't want to ride nose high.I have 5" clearance now from bedrail to camper.

If anybody owns one I could use some feedback on setting it up.

Thanks

2005 Cardinal 35 CKT
Old 04-07-2008, 03:32 AM   #3

Wow no reply yet!

I'm not particularly qualified to answer except that I just purchased a Trailer Saver TS3 air ride hitch & after installing it I thought it looked a bit low in the bed of my F-250. So I called the manufacturer & spoke with their tech assistance dept. I was told that there are 2 ways to go about getting the right clearance. There are spacer units that can raise the hitch from rails either 2 or 3 inches. OR you can lower the king pin on the trailer.

I chose the spacer as I think the extra lap on the king pin provides some stability or strength in that area.

EDIT = Notice my signature had the wrong brand hitch specified... corrected!
Old 04-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #4

Charles,
Sorry - - I missed your query - - I was busy riding a camel by a pyramid in Egypt. LOL

I have the Air Safe and love it. The ride is dramatically improved for both you and stuff in the trailer and it highly dampens chucking. I highly recommend going the 25K version to get the Holland head - - it is soooo much heftier than the normal heads, very much like the OTR truck hitch.

As for setting it up, obviously you have X amount of room between your rails and the nose of the fiver reqardless of what hitch you use. The recommended distance is no less than 6". If you are worried about the hitch going up and down 5", it does not move that far. You will normally run into problems going up into a service station or similar situations. You will be going slow - - RIGHT???? The air hitch will give the same position doing that as any other hitch. You will see the "safe" zone marking on the shock. Measure to the middle of the green zone to determine how high the hitch will sit at a certain setting on the hitch height. You will then be able to determine which hole to use in installing it. I was lucky and hit mine the first try.

Bob
Old 04-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #5

Thanks Fiverbob.... Went with the 25k installed it and real impressed with the quality. I now have it 2nd hole from top. After adding air to green on shock,think it's to high but will try it and see what I get.

May have to drop it one notch . I think one of my issuses with bed side rail clearance is I'm putting to much air in my firestone airbags was running 30-35 lbs. and truck never squatted.

I dropped air pressure to 20 lbs and gained a inch on clearance.And sure truck will not squat.Sometimes I guess it's best to try different pressures.

As of now I have 85 lbs. of air in bags on hitch.Will hook it up to truck and from other feedback should probably work best at 70-80 lbs. just have to play with it a little till I find what's best for my setup. Again thanks for you help

Charles

2005 Cardinal 35 CKT