Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #1

Air shocks or air bags

I have read a lot on this forum about air bags but I'm curious to know if air shocks would work as well to have smoother ride.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #2

short answer is no.

Helper air springs have more volume and that's what you need to carry more weight. Air shocks also help to carry more weight but works better on your car as you would not be loading it nearly as heavy as you mite your truck or M/H.

Air shocks are less expensive, you get what you pay for, a little help, a little money.

Helper air bags/springs cost a little more but used properly are well worth the expense.

I wont go into the different ways to configure your set up with each since this is not what you asked, but there are advantages to set them up to your personal preference, auto or manual.

Hope that helps

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:29 PM   #3

All good points about air bags.

Add to that, that air bags have a much stronger support system.

Air shocks load the brackets designed for standard shocks and can be overstressed with to much load.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
All good points about air bags.

Add to that, that air bags have a much stronger support system.

Air shocks load the brackets designed for standard shocks and can be overstressed with to much load.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #5

Thanks for all the info. I'll look into air bags

Thanks to all!
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:33 PM   #6

Air bags

I have a ford f250 super duty with the 7.3 It has airbags and my question do the airbags kinda sorta make my 3/4 ton closer to a one ton? How much weight on a fifth wheel would be unsafe?
JerMcBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerMcBroom View Post
I have a ford f250 super duty with the 7.3 It has airbags and my question do the airbags kinda sorta make my 3/4 ton closer to a one ton? How much weight on a fifth wheel would be unsafe?
Your truck is still "kinda sorta" a 3/4 ton. Ya want a bigger RV get a bigger TV it's that simple.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #8

Cummins12V98 has a good point, you can upgrade to help your suspension system safely handle more weight, but you won't get the same effect from your helper spring add on as you would from a system that is built from the start to handle the increased weight.

You can re-engineer to a point, but you'll have to evaluate cost/safety vs outcome.
DTW
Old 06-17-2016, 03:54 PM   #9

I have a F350 SD DRW that I plan to pull a 38 foot Cedar Creek. I was already planning to add air bags hoping that they would also smooth the reaction between the TV and 5er. Neither has a cushioned hitch, which is a bit of a concern for me. Should I replace the pin box with something like an AirRide?
drburchfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #10

Air bags are refereed to as air springs. They increase spring. So ride becomes stiffer. Now remove springs and install a air ride system will soften ride and truck will stay level, not go down with weight. That is a few dollars though.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerMcBroom View Post
If your F250 has the heavy service package its the same as the F350 SRW truck however much depends on your year model F250. Air bags just help the rear suspension carry more weight but doesn't address the need for more help with higher rated tires and wheels.

How much weight on a 5th wheel ??
If you mean how much 5th wheel pin weight on your F250 is too much then it would be when the pin weight exceeds rear axle/tire/wheel/suspension ratings
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburchfield View Post
I have a F350 SD DRW that I plan to pull a 38 foot Cedar Creek. I was already planning to add air bags hoping that they would also smooth the reaction between the TV and 5er. Neither has a cushioned hitch, which is a bit of a concern for me. Should I replace the pin box with something like an AirRide?
First thing to do is throw on a set of Bilstein 4600's. Then add air bags if needed.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks