Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #1

Air Suspension Hitch

Can anyone comment on air ride suspension hitches. In particular the Hensley Trailer Saver and in particular the model TS3? The hitch will be installed in a 2014 RAM 3500 DRW. Hitch pin weight just under 3000#. Ride quality is important as well as safety and reliable operation.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Never had one; never needed one. I used a Reese 16k 5er hitch for over 100,000 miles, and never understood why anyone wanted an air-cushioned 5er hitch. But Reese also makes cheaper 5er hitches, called the Pro series. I had one of those for a short time and threw it away and replaced it with the more-expensive Reese 16k.
Reese Reese 16K 5th Wheel Hitch 30047

Reese still sells that hitch, but they now also sell the higher-priced Titan (also called the R16k) that complies with SAE J2638. If your hitch weight is 3000 pounds, then you probably need heavier-duty than 16k, so go for the Reese 20k, or for the really heavy jobbies thay make a 30k. I don't know the difference, but if I were buying a new 5er hitch I'd probably get the Reese Titan only because the new SAE J2638 specs must be worth something or the SAE would not have developed them.

Or if you hate the bed rails left in the bed when the Reese 16k is removed, then Reese makes the even more expensive Reese Elite hitches rated 18k and 25k that have under-bed rails. Ram offers that hitch as an option on your 2014 dually, so if your Ram includes at least the 5er hitch prep kit, then you should go for the Reese Elite.

So word to the wise: don't buy a cheap 5er hitch. Buy one at least as good as the Reese 16k/20k/30k, then you won't need air cushioning around the kingpin.

But with Hensley selling the air-cushion hitch you mentioned, you can't go wrong with that - other than the dent in your wallet.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #3

Good hitch
The trailer will bob along now in a horizontal plane, up and down instead of a 'teeter totter' fore and aft motion.Very smooth ride for you and the contents of the trailer .
Expensive but worth it , you will never know how much money in ware and tare were saved,contents and structure of trailer are as low as possible.
Way superior to air ride pin boxes as they can't fit as big or as many air bags in that small area .
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #4

Had serious problems with chucking. TS3 solved that problem. My wife and I still anticipate a chucking event but it doesn't happen with this hitch. Pavlov has us well trained though. Mine is riding the back of a 2012 Ram 3500 long bed and have over 10,000 enjoyable miles pulling.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #5

I was at an RV show years ago and checked every single 5th wheel hitch on display.
Not one single unit I checked was good enough to install in my truck. And I was not shy to show the problems to the reps.
The Four way hitches leave to much play in the pin areas. And sure to wabble with to high design for the pin supports. Its like a teter toter.

My hitch is now 22 years old, works great with no chucking and obsolete and no better units available.

The pin is on the same plain as the swivel front to back. No side to side swivel for me required for the 22 years I have been towing. Semi truck do well with theirs.

It's the RV industry that has beeno going down hill ever since the 90s.
Everyone adds so many things for comfort that it's plain crazy what is going on.
A simple hitch has become so complicated just because we buy trucks that rides like cadilacs and we expect the ride to stay the same when loaded.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #6

Should note all the high end air hitches use a Binkley head ,it is a commercial 32,000 #
head and grabs the entire pin shank this alone will stop the clank/clunk, air ride is for the really big bumps .
Old 03-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #7

What the TS3 rated at? I'm going to buy a hitch but I'm uncertain of weight right now. We were 17kish empty. We transfer everything from our DRV but haven't tow yet. I suspect 20-21k.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
What the TS3 rated at? I'm going to buy a hitch but I'm uncertain of weight right now. We were 17kish empty. We transfer everything from our DRV but haven't tow yet. I suspect 20-21k.

correct (I think 22,000#)and 4500# pin,it has a Binkely head(which is good for much more), so the limitation must be the pick-up style frame rails.
It looks identical to mine but it bolts directly to truck frame , no 'rails' .

mine is rated for 32,000#
Old 03-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #9

Glenn are you aware that your pin weight may be in excess of 4500# ?
I was at a MS 'weigh in' and the pin weights were shocking to some of the owners.
My 'cat ' weight is 16,000# and the pin is 4050# ,thats a 36' trailer.
Where the axles are placed make a huge difference sometimes ,just a heads up you seem to be on top of things.

Love your choice btw. Teton is a fabulous unit
Old 03-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #10

My 3 axle setup helps. My DRV 32tk3 was heavier on pin than the Teton dry. Will find out as soon as my current job ends.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Let me start out by saying that my truck rides really rough on less than smooth roads, lots of bouncing in the rear. I tried a TS3 and it made it worse, way more worse, had to send it back and go back to my 20k Reese. The truck would actually pull the rear wheels off the ground on really bad roads from the bouncing.

I have tried everything, air bags, adjustable shocks, more pin weight, nothing helps much.

So, don't think the TS3 OR any air ride hitch is the savior of all problems. FYI
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
The model we are considering is the TS3 Gross Towing Weight capacity is 20,000#, pin weight capacity 4500#. The Hensley Mfg web site is TrailerSaver.com. Seems we are seeking the same hitch and I would very much like to hear about your hitch research.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #13

Hensley Hitch head information

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
Should note all the high end air hitches use a Binkley head ,it is a commercial 32,000 #
head and grabs the entire pin shank this alone will stop the clank/clunk, air ride is for the really big bumps .

We used to use the Binkley head, but a few years back started manufacturing our own head. The head we now use is about 90% the same as the Binkley but we improved it in a few ways. For example on our head we give you access holes to get lubrication directly on the fore/aft pivot pins of the hitch and that was a problem on the Binkley. Both heads the Holland-Binkley and ours, fully encircle the pin all the way around with a jaw system that has two halves that meet in the middle when the jaws close around the king pin.

The jaws are also 1 1/8Ē thick and donít allow for much tolerance at all, which helps to provide a very stable ride without the typical bouncing associated with hitches that have a much sloppier connection.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #14

So better then the Binkley, and I agree right where it could be improved . bonus,

minor improvement but good for them .

Tags
suspension