Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Viva Las Vegas
Posts: 251
Airbags with WD: What's the rule of thumb??

I'm going to be installing my Air Lift Ultimate 5000 bags tomorrow. We have a camping trip scheduled shortly after. Should I run my WD alongside my air bags? I assume "no" because the reason for the airbags is to reduce rear suspension sag. But then again, I thought I read a post that said the WD will still help distribute the weight to front axle.
Also, I've seed some WD companies advertise as "Works in reverse." I've been reversing the trailer with my current Pro Series WD without a problem. Or have I been screwing up this whole time?
__________________

__________________
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT CC 4x4
Zac808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Intothewild's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Leesburg Florida
Posts: 118
I installed the airlift 5000 on my Chevy 1500 and am very pleased. I stopped using the WD bars after the first trip this summer. I do have a very light trailer at 2860 dry weight. I also fill the back of the truck with a lot gear and the air lift does the job. I will be taking my 7th trip next weekend.
__________________

__________________
Intothewild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,211
You need to check the trucks receiver ratings. Most all have a non WD and WD rating. Without WD they're usually around 5-600lbs. With WD they jump to 10% of the max tow rating. So if your max trailer tow rating is 10,000lbs then the with WD the receiver is rated at 1,000lbs.


If your truck is sagging and you don't have much in it then you need to adjust the WDH to bring the rear up. Also how much is it sagging. And what is happening to the front of the truck. The front of the truck is more important than the rear IMO. The front should be set to close to it's original height after hitching up. If the rears sagging and the fronts too high then you need to adjust the WD.


OTOH if you're loading stuff in the truck along with the TT's tongue weight and the rears sagging and the fronts good then yes air bags help.


Check the receiver 1st for it's tongue weight rating. You do know how much the tongue weighs on the TT I hope?
__________________
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
You need to check the trucks receiver ratings. Most all have a non WD and WD rating. Without WD they're usually around 5-600lbs. With WD they jump to 10% of the max tow rating. So if your max trailer tow rating is 10,000lbs then the with WD the receiver is rated at 1,000lbs.


If your truck is sagging and you don't have much in it then you need to adjust the WDH to bring the rear up. Also how much is it sagging. And what is happening to the front of the truck. The front of the truck is more important than the rear IMO. The front should be set to close to it's original height after hitching up. If the rears sagging and the fronts too high then you need to adjust the WD.


OTOH if you're loading stuff in the truck along with the TT's tongue weight and the rears sagging and the fronts good then yes air bags help.


Check the receiver 1st for it's tongue weight rating. You do know how much the tongue weighs on the TT I hope?
I see the 2013 25RKS has a dry TW of 795lbs per brochure. Guessing that's 900+lbs after loading up. So IMO it looks like you have to use a WD to be inline with the receivers non WD rating
__________________
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
SmokeyWren's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Midland County, Texas
Posts: 3,332
I'm not as worried about weight distribution as I am about sway control. I could maybe "get by" without WD, but not without excellent sway control. And the sway control system on both my Reese Strait-Line and my ProPride hitches requires the spring bars to be tight.

Air bags are only for raising the rear end of the truck to have a level truck when towing. You still need the WD hitch with sway control to reduce the weight on the rear axle and to not raise the front of the truck because of the see-saw effect of tongue weight way back behind the rear axle of the tow vehicle.

Hook up the trailer and adjust the WD hitch. Then air up the air bags only enough to level the tow vehicle.
__________________
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Viva Las Vegas
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I see the 2013 25RKS has a dry TW of 795lbs per brochure. Guessing that's 900+lbs after loading up. So IMO it looks like you have to use a WD to be inline with the receivers non WD rating
My "Weight Carrying" is Max 7500lb and 1000lb tongue. My "Weight Distributing" is Max 12000lb and 1500lb tongue. So, I guess I should continue to use WD because once I fill bed and trailer I'm hovering around 1000lbs.
__________________
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT CC 4x4
Zac808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
My "Weight Carrying" is Max 7500lb and 1000lb tongue. My "Weight Distributing" is Max 12000lb and 1500lb tongue. So, I guess I should continue to use WD because once I fill bed and trailer I'm hovering around 1000lbs.
Looks like it.
When I used a WD with my bags on a previous truck and TT combo. I 1st loaded the truck, then aired the bags to relevel the truck. The hitched up the TT and then used the WD to reset the trucks front accordingly.
__________________
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
rideandslide's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Waynesville Georgia
Posts: 1,273
Like to help, i but installed the Air Lift 1000 ( totally different beast ) on my 1500, love them !!! Best $90 i have ever spent ( Towing Of Course ).
__________________
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
hondavalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Looks like it.
When I used a WD with my bags on a previous truck and TT combo. I 1st loaded the truck, then aired the bags to relevel the truck. The hitched up the TT and then used the WD to reset the trucks front accordingly.
That is the same thing I do.
__________________
2008 Tundra
2015 ST29SS Crossroads TT
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: ^^Up North Michigan
Posts: 37
I installed the air lift 5000 series on my 1/2 ton Chevy they do help with rear sag if you add weight to the bed. According to my Curt WD hitch set up it says to add min. air to bags like 5lbs., then set your bars to get it somewhat level watching your front end to keep it as close to the unloaded ride height, then add air as needed to get the whole rig level. I then went to the Cat scales & dialed the whole unit in. Remember keep an eye on your rear axle weight limits & don't over load it. On mine it's 3950 max both front & rear.
__________________
2007 Keystone Laredo 311RL TT
2015 Chevy Silverado Double Cab 2500 HD Z/71
runsdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:26 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Viva Las Vegas
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Hook up the trailer and adjust the WD hitch. Then air up the air bags only enough to level the tow vehicle.
Would raising the rear change the tension on the WD?

Bare with me.....when lowering the trailer with WD hooked up, there is a pivot point at the coupler. As the truck and coupler pivot, this "tilts" the WD bar forward thus pushing the front of the truck frame down as well. With that being said, airing the bags after WD is set should change the coupler/truck angle then which "tilts" the torsion bar aft removing the "pushing" effect on the front of the truck. Make sense
__________________
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT CC 4x4
Zac808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #12
Member
 
Air Lift Company's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 65
Hopefully this will shed some light on the subject! https://www.airliftcompany.com/works...s-air-springs/

Let me know is you have any questions!
__________________
Air Lift Company
(800) 248-0892
Air Lift Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Viva Las Vegas
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Lift Company View Post
Hopefully this will shed some light on the subject! https://www.airliftcompany.com/works...s-air-springs/

Let me know is you have any questions!
Interesting, thanks. So load bar tension once trailer is completely settled on truck. I currently drop coupler onto ball. Once weight of trailer starts to settle onto hitch, I adjust my tension bars to the shortest chain length possible. Then completely lower trailer.
__________________
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT CC 4x4
Zac808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Lift Company View Post
Hopefully this will shed some light on the subject! https://www.airliftcompany.com/works...s-air-springs/

Let me know is you have any questions!
What's the proper procedure when using the 1000 bags? Trial and error on how much pressure to put in the bags?
__________________

__________________
Riccochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firestone Airbags - how much air pressure to keep in them? cmalberto iRV2.com General Discussion 8 08-17-2015 03:20 PM
Front airbags empty fast rogelling Entegra Owner's Forum 20 09-30-2014 09:35 PM
Airbags on Tiffin Phaeton won't inflate MickJill Class A Motorhome Discussions 6 09-01-2014 04:04 PM
A newcomer's thank you; Energy conservation; & Sans toys: Don't rule out toy-haulers! PaulAllen 5th Wheel Discussion 2 10-17-2013 06:34 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.