Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #1

Airbags with WD: What's the rule of thumb??

I'm going to be installing my Air Lift Ultimate 5000 bags tomorrow. We have a camping trip scheduled shortly after. Should I run my WD alongside my air bags? I assume "no" because the reason for the airbags is to reduce rear suspension sag. But then again, I thought I read a post that said the WD will still help distribute the weight to front axle.
Also, I've seed some WD companies advertise as "Works in reverse." I've been reversing the trailer with my current Pro Series WD without a problem. Or have I been screwing up this whole time?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 05:46 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I installed the airlift 5000 on my Chevy 1500 and am very pleased. I stopped using the WD bars after the first trip this summer. I do have a very light trailer at 2860 dry weight. I also fill the back of the truck with a lot gear and the air lift does the job. I will be taking my 7th trip next weekend.
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #3

You need to check the trucks receiver ratings. Most all have a non WD and WD rating. Without WD they're usually around 5-600lbs. With WD they jump to 10% of the max tow rating. So if your max trailer tow rating is 10,000lbs then the with WD the receiver is rated at 1,000lbs.

If your truck is sagging and you don't have much in it then you need to adjust the WDH to bring the rear up. Also how much is it sagging. And what is happening to the front of the truck. The front of the truck is more important than the rear IMO. The front should be set to close to it's original height after hitching up. If the rears sagging and the fronts too high then you need to adjust the WD.

OTOH if you're loading stuff in the truck along with the TT's tongue weight and the rears sagging and the fronts good then yes air bags help.

Check the receiver 1st for it's tongue weight rating. You do know how much the tongue weighs on the TT I hope?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
You need to check the trucks receiver ratings. Most all have a non WD and WD rating. Without WD they're usually around 5-600lbs. With WD they jump to 10% of the max tow rating. So if your max trailer tow rating is 10,000lbs then the with WD the receiver is rated at 1,000lbs.

If your truck is sagging and you don't have much in it then you need to adjust the WDH to bring the rear up. Also how much is it sagging. And what is happening to the front of the truck. The front of the truck is more important than the rear IMO. The front should be set to close to it's original height after hitching up. If the rears sagging and the fronts too high then you need to adjust the WD.

OTOH if you're loading stuff in the truck along with the TT's tongue weight and the rears sagging and the fronts good then yes air bags help.

Check the receiver 1st for it's tongue weight rating. You do know how much the tongue weighs on the TT I hope?
I see the 2013 25RKS has a dry TW of 795lbs per brochure. Guessing that's 900+lbs after loading up. So IMO it looks like you have to use a WD to be inline with the receivers non WD rating
Old 09-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not as worried about weight distribution as I am about sway control. I could maybe "get by" without WD, but not without excellent sway control. And the sway control system on both my Reese Strait-Line and my ProPride hitches requires the spring bars to be tight.

Air bags are only for raising the rear end of the truck to have a level truck when towing. You still need the WD hitch with sway control to reduce the weight on the rear axle and to not raise the front of the truck because of the see-saw effect of tongue weight way back behind the rear axle of the tow vehicle.

Hook up the trailer and adjust the WD hitch. Then air up the air bags only enough to level the tow vehicle.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
I see the 2013 25RKS has a dry TW of 795lbs per brochure. Guessing that's 900+lbs after loading up. So IMO it looks like you have to use a WD to be inline with the receivers non WD rating
My "Weight Carrying" is Max 7500lb and 1000lb tongue. My "Weight Distributing" is Max 12000lb and 1500lb tongue. So, I guess I should continue to use WD because once I fill bed and trailer I'm hovering around 1000lbs.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
My "Weight Carrying" is Max 7500lb and 1000lb tongue. My "Weight Distributing" is Max 12000lb and 1500lb tongue. So, I guess I should continue to use WD because once I fill bed and trailer I'm hovering around 1000lbs.
Looks like it.
When I used a WD with my bags on a previous truck and TT combo. I 1st loaded the truck, then aired the bags to relevel the truck. The hitched up the TT and then used the WD to reset the trucks front accordingly.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #8

Like to help, i but installed the Air Lift 1000 ( totally different beast ) on my 1500, love them !!! Best $90 i have ever spent ( Towing Of Course ).
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Looks like it.
When I used a WD with my bags on a previous truck and TT combo. I 1st loaded the truck, then aired the bags to relevel the truck. The hitched up the TT and then used the WD to reset the trucks front accordingly.
That is the same thing I do.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:14 AM   #10

I installed the air lift 5000 series on my 1/2 ton Chevy they do help with rear sag if you add weight to the bed. According to my Curt WD hitch set up it says to add min. air to bags like 5lbs., then set your bars to get it somewhat level watching your front end to keep it as close to the unloaded ride height, then add air as needed to get the whole rig level. I then went to the Cat scales & dialed the whole unit in. Remember keep an eye on your rear axle weight limits & don't over load it. On mine it's 3950 max both front & rear.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Hook up the trailer and adjust the WD hitch. Then air up the air bags only enough to level the tow vehicle.
Would raising the rear change the tension on the WD?

Bare with me.....when lowering the trailer with WD hooked up, there is a pivot point at the coupler. As the truck and coupler pivot, this "tilts" the WD bar forward thus pushing the front of the truck frame down as well. With that being said, airing the bags after WD is set should change the coupler/truck angle then which "tilts" the torsion bar aft removing the "pushing" effect on the front of the truck. Make sense
Old 09-24-2015, 06:39 AM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Hopefully this will shed some light on the subject! https://www.airliftcompany.com/works...s-air-springs/

Let me know is you have any questions!
Old 09-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Lift Company View Post
Hopefully this will shed some light on the subject! https://www.airliftcompany.com/works...s-air-springs/

Interesting, thanks. So load bar tension once trailer is completely settled on truck. I currently drop coupler onto ball. Once weight of trailer starts to settle onto hitch, I adjust my tension bars to the shortest chain length possible. Then completely lower trailer.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Lift Company View Post

What's the proper procedure when using the 1000 bags? Trial and error on how much pressure to put in the bags?
Riccochet is offline   Reply With Quote