Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #1

Airlift Ultimate 5000 Install

So, I installed these today....and had two giant bolts left over when done. These are zinc bolts that are two inches long, probably half inch diameter. No nuts to match them. I've been thru the directions several times and watched the install video - I think somebody threw them in just to mess with me! Anybody know what they might be for?
aknavy is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #2

I had a few leftover bolts and washers when I did mine also.
Garyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #3

Just finished the complete install, Airligt bags, Wireless controller, as well as the Helliwig Big Wig Sway bar. All in all, it took about 8 hours for my son and I. One of the hardest parts was getting one of the tires off - it had some corrosion holding it to the hub. If I had to do it again, I'm guessing it would all be done if 4-5 hours.....familiarity with the process would really speed it up. Also applied anti-seize liberally to the lugs and hub area...no need to fight with that sucker again.

Verdict - much tighter handling on the corners, and the 5 pounds of pressure softens the rear end up on the bumps. Will tow and see how it is when I get some more time.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #4

Most likely, those two bolts are for the upper bracket on the driver side and the passenger side. IF you have a fifth wheel hitch installed on the truck. Without the hitch, you can use the shorter bolts,. With the hitch, you have to drill through the 5ver side rail under frame and it requires the longer bolt because of the thickness of the hitch side rail.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:28 PM   #5

Makes sense - I have the factory hitch, so I didn't have anything I needed to drill through. The shorter bolts worked great. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Also applied anti-seize liberally to the lugs and hub area...no need to fight with that sucker again.
From your owners manual: On all two-piece flat wheel nuts, apply one drop of motor oil between the flat washer and the nut. Do not apply motor oil to the wheel nut threads or the wheel stud threads.

lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Makes sense - I have the factory hitch, so I didn't have anything I needed to drill through. The shorter bolts worked great. Thanks for the reply.
Yea, I forgot to mention that the factory hitch doesn't require drilling, only aftermarket.
Having an aftermarket hitch on the truck adds thickness to the bolt through point for the upper bracket, so they supply both bolts, one for each side......longer ones for installing the upper bracket if you have a 5th wheel hitch, shorter bolts if you don't. And for some strange reason, they don't supply the longer 8mm bolt (the other bolt for the driver's side upper bracket install), that is required for install with the aftermarket hitch.

BTW... I just bought the same kit yesterday and will be installing them when they get here, weather permitting. I'm not installing an onboard compressor on the truck though, at least not initially. I have a large air compressor at the house and I carry a 6 gal. Dewalt pancake in the toy hauler. If that tank is full, there's enough air to inflate/deflate/inflate multiple times without even plugging it in.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #8

That is odd that they don't supply the longer 8mm bolt. I'm happy with my install, it wasn't too bad. I'm also happy with the ride, although I haven't put the trailer on yet.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:54 AM   #9

I put mine on this past weekend. One suggestion I would highly recommend is to drop the spare tire down and out of the way BEFORE starting the install. I didn't and I fought it for a while until I became frustrated enough to do it. It makes the install go much easier. I also found no need to remove either one of the rear tires/wheels for the install. I ended up with a slight air leak on the system and will go back under the truck this weekend to find/fix it. I suspect it's at the driver side airbag, as it didn't feel like the airline fully seated into the fitting. That was the first connection that I made, and all the others felt like they fully engaged the fittings.

Tags
install