Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2010, 01:01 AM   #1

Almost ready to roll!

Hello everyone. Just so ready to get going. We have camped all of our lives, tenting, tent trailering and then seasonal. We have been out of the program for five years. Does anyone have any information on a 32' 2000 National Sea Breeze 5th Wheel? We intend to park it for this summer and then look for a vehicle to haul. Our intent is to haul it to a warmer climate during the winter months, maybe only two winter months and then haul it in and around the provinces two months in the summer. Any opinions or suggestions regarding the type of vehicle we will need to haul, or they type of unit we are looking at would be very much appreciated. Almost ready to retire, but not quite.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancysgeogea View Post
Any opinions or suggestions regarding the type of vehicle we will need to haul, or they type of unit we are looking at would be very much appreciated. Almost ready to retire, but not quite.
nancysgeogea, A 32 foot fifth wheel is what I used to tow before we got into motorhomes. It's big but not so big so that it becomes unmanageble. I towed my 32 footer using a Ford F250 with a diesel motor on single rear wheels. Either a Chevrolet, GMC or Dodge with a diesel engine will also work well for you. Look for a sport or super cab depending on how much stuff or people you want to carry "inside" the stuck.

I used a Pullrite Super 5 hitch. My truck had a full length bed, 7 foot. A truck with a shorter bed can be used but you will have to get a hitch that will silde the pin as the truck turns so you don't put the trailer through the back window. Pullrite makes a hitch called a Supergilide for short bed pickup trucks.

Good luck and happy trailering!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nancysgeogea;

I just want to welcome you to iRV2. We are glad you found us. I am sorry I can't help with your question but as you can see we have a great group here who like to help when they can. Post often and share your upcoming travel experiences with us.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Nancysgeogea!

Just wanted to say 'Welcome'! You have found a great group of very friendly people here. If you are not yet completely 'hooked' on your 5er, you will be after being with this group in a short period of time. (LOL)

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #5

Good information. Thank you very much. And I will stay in touch through iRV2. Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancysgeogea View Post
Any opinions or suggestions regarding the type of vehicle we will need to haul...would be very much appreciated.
If you can possibly get us the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and the pin weight of that 5-r, we have several members here who could give you opinions on what size of truck to tow it with. You're going about it the right way, i.e. choosing the rv & then hunting for a truck to haul it. Many rv-r's get or have a truck & then are locked into only a certain size/weight/type of rv that needs to fit the ratings of their truck or they're dissappointed because the rv they've fallen in love with is too big/heavy for their truck.

BTW, welcome to iRV2. You'll find lots of helpful members here.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #7

GVR and PIN

Hello Lori:
Our GVR (sounds cool eh) The GVR of our RV is 14000lbs, (7 ton). PIN?? Personal Identification Number? Probably not, but the dry weight is 11,000 lbs.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's great, very helpful. As for the pin, a pin, also known as a king pin, is the projection at the front of a 5-r that hooks into the 5th wheel hitch in the bed of a truck. That weight number is important so you know how much weight will be on the rear axle of the truck when the 5-r is hooked up. Different sizes of trucks have different maximum rear axle ratings. There should be a sticker somewhere on that 5-r (could be outside, could be inside a cabinet) that has all the weight numbers on it. If you can't find the sticker, usually the pin weight is about 20% (give or take) of the GVWR of the rv. In lieu of knowing your exact pin weight, our knowledgeable members could use that 20% extimate to help advise you the proper truck to pull that 5-r.

We'll get ya some good advice as more 5-r members see this thread. Stay tuned.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try this link for all kinds of National RV info:
National RV Archives
coulter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Hi Nancy,
I have a 2001 thirty foot Sea Breeze 5th wheel that we tow with a 2006 Ford F-350 4x4 with dual rear wheels. We have not had any problems towing. We love our Sea Breeze - hope you will love yours too.