Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
Bot,where is Smokey when you need him!!He has a lot of good info on aluminum bodies-wait and he my chime in.

2011 Montana-3400RL
Towed by[B]'99 F-350 SD PSD DRW Lariat
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #16
Yes, correct. Also I am a motorcyclist, have a collection of vintage antique bikes, I am thinking that if I can come up with a nice ramp system, I could carry 2 bikes up on this bed easily side by side, rather than a trailer.

I've read on posts on the internet (not on IVR2) about others stating alumn beds are not durable. That of course is concerning. However I am not sure what context those statements are made in. Construction use? etc.. Other than the heavy loads I tow, my truck is lite duty use.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #17
Are you looking at Martin Truck Body in Compton, California? Shipping to S.C. would be crazy...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
I believe the Martin in question is in PA...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Bot,where is Smokey when you need him?
I have not kept up to date on tow bodies for a few years. Here's the link to Martin's Welding in Pennsylvania:

Flat Bed

Looking at the Martin's website, they do not have a "tow body" similar to a Western Hauler like this one:

Nor the Herrin Hauler like this one:

Nor the other Herrin Haulrs at this link:
Herrin Truck Beds - RV Truck Beds - Western Truck Beds - Hauler-Beds - Flatbeds - Welding Beds - Oilfield Beds & Towing Beds

But they do have flat bed aluminum truck bodies that can be optioned with tool boxes, headache racks, side and tail boards, tailights, and 5er or gooseneck hitch, And the price sounds really low, beginning at less than $2500 installed if you drive to their shop in Pennsylvania. They charge only $200 extra for aluminum instead of steel, so that's a good deal if you want an aluminum body.

The only reason to want an aluminum body is to save weight so you can haul more hitch weight without being overloaded. If your truck is an SRW, you need all the help you can get to tow a decent-sized 5er without exceeding the GVWR of the tow vehicle.

Pickups and chassis cabs are different. Be certain the supplier understands that your vehicle is a wide-frame pickup and not a narrow-frame chassis cab. If you have them install the body, then not much need to worry about them trying to install the wrong one.

I wouldn't worry about the aluminum body being too light. With pin weight of a 5er, you'll have all the weight you want on the rear axle of the pickup.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #20
I have an aluminum flat bed on my Chevy dually. It's made by Mountaineer in WV. I do not recommend them. The construction quality is not good.
2005 Chevy CC Dually D/A, 2003 Fleetwood 11X truck camper, 1997 Larson 206SEI boat
KD4UPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #21
Hi evryone!

Yes Martins Welding in P.A.. I signed a contract, will have my body installed on Nov, 15th.. I need to go to Maryland for work, I have been able to fit this into one trip, it is about 2 hours from our office in Rockville out of my way.

Correct mine is a flatbed, tool boxes underneath, went with the more expensive head board, a better rear bumper and the removable 8" aides. To retain my original 5th wheel height, there will be a well in the body, my hitch will sit down in there. When I remove the hitch there will be a cover for the well. The bed will be 7' x 8 1/2' flatbed.

Not counting the road trip there, I spent $4,900, Insurance claim to have my old body replaced was $5,039. We hope to buy a Class A next year, I will retire this old truck to hauling by equiptment trailer (I have a gooseneck trailer that has a 5th wheel hitch) and for basic local trips hauling. I think this will work well for me.

I'll post a picture when the new body is on.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #22
Martin truck bed

Lloyd in SC: have you had the new bed installed from Martin Welding? Talking with them about a bed and would like your feedback. Can you send or post pictures?
Crisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
Pictures of my bed

Very happy everyone. Martin's provides great service, and did a nice job on my bed. Quality is good, design is good. Enjoy the pics!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truckbed 2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	51146   Click image for larger version

Name:	truckbed 1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	51147  

Click image for larger version

Name:	truckbed 3.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	51148  
Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #24
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Very nice. It looks like you made a great choice.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #25
That's only $5,000???? Wow. Fantastic!!!!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #26
Yes sir

Correct, $5039.00. The hitch removes via the standard pins, and a cover goes over the hitch well, at which time I have a 7'x8.5' flatbed.