Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #1

Aluminum Truck Bed

I have a very clean, low mileage 1999 Ford Super Duty, Power Stroke, super cab, 8' bed. Bought it new, garage kept used it to tow only.

Long story short, Wham, Bam, Slam and my bed is destroyed. Body shop estimate $5,000.00, which is a junk yard bed repainted, mounted etc..

I am giving serious consideration to purchasing a aluminuim tow body. I have been looking at the Martins Welding Body made in PA.. Great price, for what looks like a nice body. Anybody here already done this? How about a Martin body anybody have one?

L.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #2

I may not know much about it, but it's time for another estimate.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Seems a lot for a replacement bed......lookin at EBay I see new beds priced at $500-$1600......don't think its hard to install it......maybe look at EBay for a replacement.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The bed is very easy to remove. A few bolts and wires to connect/disconnect. Four guys to lift it on/off. I would think you could find a bed and have it painted for half or less that quote, with you finding and transporting the bed.

I don't know the cost of the tow beds, but I appreciate it's a real option to put the money towards one if you want it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #5

I've seen prices of $15K+ on the HDT forums for custom rear boxes. I'd go with Fred1609. Get a used bed from a salvage yard. If they don't have one, they usually can find one for you-they all talk to each other. The shipping would be prohibitive unless it's local to you.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
There are Ford pickup bed takeoffs all over the oilfield where service bodies have been fitted. That price looks ridiculous to me - $500 to $1000 for a takeoff bed and $1000 to prep and paint should be more in the ballpark I'd expect.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #7

Thanks all, but your missing a few things. Everyone is not anwsering my question. I wasn't asking about what to do with my damaged truck.

I did get 2 estimates, that is always a good idea.

This is an insruance claim, they are paying.

It is a 1999, there are no "take off" beds left from 14 years ago. (this was searched for my area, shipping on a bed is very expensive, both body shops agreed on this)

The beds changed in 04, so 99,00,02, and 03 fit.

Odds are, a junk yard bed will be the wrong color. Requires paint, materials alone are over $500, plus labor. Painting a bed inside and out, a is expensive. Underneath, plastic rails on the bed tops, tail gate, all adds up.

In the estimate, $1,500 for clean, not messed up bed, found in my local area.

Labor above and beyond the paint work, Removal of the old bed, install the new bed, wiring, remove 5th wheel hitch, re insallt the hitch, bed liner, tool box etc.. Labor around here is $60-$70 per hour.

I have a couple bids on alum beds, they are in the $4,500 to $6,000 range. Yes there are $10k beds out there, not going to install one of them on my $11k truck.

So I was asking, anybody have alumium beds, anybody have a Martin body, they gave a great price, and the bed looks nice. I am still thinking, I might like an alum bed rather than a repaired bed on my pickup. I don't use it as a pickup often, tow a lot with it, like the integrated tool boxes, weight savings, etc..

Thanks all! L.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Thanks all, but your missing a few things. Everyone is not anwsering my question. I wasn't asking about what to do with my damaged truck....
Speaking only for myself, it appeared to me that your original post indicated that you were looking at an aluminum bed option as an alternative to a $5K repair. I believe we were pointing out that, in my (and others') opinion(s), the premise upon which you were making the decision was questionable at best - i.e., a $5K repair.

Since it now turns out that the insurance company is willing to pay for the repair, it sounds like you're seeking justification for paying the extra coin to go with an aluminum bed. If so, that's a different kettle of fish entirely.

Best of luck with whichever route you take.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are looking at the ones with the lower boxes for storage that wrap around the rear tires, I think that would be the way to go if you don't need the "box feature" of your current bed.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #10

It sounds like you're gonna have a real nice TV when you're done with that Ford. The 7.3 is a great engine. I had a 96 Powerstroke.
After visiting their (Martin's) site, I wondered if their prices include the lights and wiring work - it looks like it in their pictures. Altho- it can't be much more of an expense.
Did they mention anything about losing traction in wet weather with the lighter bed? Maybe it's not an issue with the pickups like it is with the HTDs.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
IC2

Sorry to hear about your nice vehicle being trashed.

While I don't know that particular brand name, an aftermarket aluminum (or steel) bed was on my way out shopping list - but I traded instead for a newer long bed truck a w/6.7.

I'm thinking that if you are fairly close, go to his shop, watch one similar to what you want being built. Ask questions about what the price includes so no surprises. Also while there, ask them for a list of users then give each a call. If everything is where you want to be - go for it!!

As far as a take off replacement - that's a decent price, figuring shop transportation for the bed, installation and then paint (has anyone priced automotive paint other then black or white lately? A real eye opener at up to hundreds of dollars per quart for some colors)
Old 10-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #12

I had a 02 F350 and had the bed off to prepare fpor a utility body. You really need the weight back there with the weight of the diesel. Good thing for 4x4.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #13

Thanks, yes I am thinking this would make lemonaide out of a lemon. My truck was very nice, climate controlled garage kept, low miles, Banks upgrade, etc..

For those who looked at Martin, his best upgraded body, nearly every option on his list with installation is under 5k. (and that includes one of my own customizations) Two tool boxes, 5th wheel built in, and mounted, LED lights etc.. I am in S.C., they are in PA. So my hope was maybe someone here had already done this.

I did speak to a reference he gave me today, and it was a very positive.

So short of a Martins experienced customer, I thought maybe someone has gone to the alum body, and wondered if they were pleased long term. It is different.

Thanks all! If I do this, I'll send pics in 2-3 weeks as that is the needed advanced order time.

L.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Another advantage to this is the elimination of trailer to bed contact.

They really look nice & if you can get everything for $5K it seems like the way to go.