Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #1

Am I crazy or do others tow with an old truck?

As I was coverd in gear oil last night from a leaking rear axle seal I started to wonder if towing with 56 year old truck is the smartest decision. The wife was getting nurvous because we are camping this weekend and I had the rear axle all apart. I built the truck specificly to tow our 5th wheel. Its a 1957 chevy 5700 series Low Cab Forward. I am an old truck nut so wrenching is nothing new to me. We towed all last year with out any major problems. It does have a modern drive train, Vortec 454 with a 4l80E tranny. I wonder how much maintenance do others do on newer trucks? IS it really worth it to move up to a newer truck. We have most of the new truck comforts inside....A/C, leather seats, power windows, DVD player. Are there any other "nuts" like me out there that tow with and old truck?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #2

I'd say keep it alive. Everything breaks down. Yours is truly one of a kind.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #3

You serious Clark? That's the coolest tow vehicle I've ever seen. Keep her running! And yes, you are crazy. Everyone (like me) that loves old vehicles is crazy. Three years ago I finally sold my 65 Studebaker, miss her everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggy5872 View Post
As I was coverd in gear oil last night from a leaking rear axle seal I started to wonder if towing with 56 year old truck is the smartest decision. The wife was getting nurvous because we are camping this weekend and I had the rear axle all apart. I built the truck specificly to tow our 5th wheel. Its a 1957 chevy 5700 series Low Cab Forward. I am an old truck nut so wrenching is nothing new to me. We towed all last year with out any major problems. It does have a modern drive train, Vortec 454 with a 4l80E tranny. I wonder how much maintenance do others do on newer trucks? IS it really worth it to move up to a newer truck. We have most of the new truck comforts inside....A/C, leather seats, power windows, DVD player. Are there any other "nuts" like me out there that tow with and old truck?

2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Often see old trucks and dream of just what you have done. However, at my age don’t have the time, money or ability to do it. Hang in there she’s a beaut.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #5

Ok maybe I just had a bad week.....Had one of my 59 chevy trucks go down, my daily driver 74 Elcamino went down, this one sprung a leak and I had to ride my harley to work in the rain one day last week because it was the only thing still working....I guess I just need this long weekend camping to recharge.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
You have done a nice job restoring the old Chevy. I bet when you stop it sparks a lot of conversation, and when you drive a lot of thumbs up. That is the best feeling when you restored it yourself. Awesome ride! And yes you are Car Crazy! Keep it on the road.
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #7

That's so cool! I admire you for making such a tow rig! More pics please!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think you're crazy to consider such a thing. That truck is awesome!!!

Fix that leak and drive on sir...
Blag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #9

OK--like many of us old car nuts, you are a bit crazy and a lot of show-off [smile]. With a new drive train, you have eliminated the main concern. Keep driving and showing--just dont open the hood.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #10

Thanks everyone....Think it was the bad week with all my old relics that had me wondering....It was back together about 12:30 last night and ready fro another round.

D M, It does get a lot of attention.

336muffin, Here is a build thred and a video....
Big Bertha Build thread x2 - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network
Old 05-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #11

Thumbs up

OK, I'll bite.....how much do you want for it?! Come on.....you just cost me most of the morning going back and forth through the pics in that link you gave us. Seriously, with that beauty, I'd be king of the trailer park! You are not just a mechanic, m'friend. You have at least two superpowers to be able to pull that off from what I see at the beginning of your project pics. You are, at the least, an artisan. I am an, as yet uncertified, gun nut and I had a piece years ago that I could do magic with on the shooting range. It was a 1950's vintage that suited my body ergonomics just right, maybe because I have a 1940's vintage body. I've not been happy with anything else and I've been kicking myself ever since for selling it.....which may account for my back problems. Ditto for the motorcycle I sold years ago. Seriously, wouldn't you miss that truck if you sold it? As you may suspect, I'm more words than dollars to actually buy your truck but I'm sure you'd rather put a bit o' work back into it every so often than wish later on that you had. Congratulations on a fine, fine beauty of a truck!
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #12

Road Ranger... thanks for the kind words. I don't have a price for it but have turned down 6 figures more than once. Wife would of sold it already. I do not think I could part with so much but have something newer without giving this one up. I am an accountant by trade and it is just a hobby until I can afford to give up the day job and build custom one off vehicles full time.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
At 6 figures?

You're towing a fifth wheel with a $100,000+ truck? That's crazy! Very cool, but still putting a lot at risk. I'd have that puppy covered in the garage and only driven to shows.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
That is a cool truck. Don't give up on it.