Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafordguy View Post
The Raptor has the power, engine/trans cooling capacity, brakes (largest F150 brakes ever), wheelbase, gear ratio, brake controller and weight to tow a much larger trailer than it is rated for. It just has soft springs. If you upgrade the springs or get airbags for adjustability the truck will do great.

Fast Lane trucks tested it with 8000lbs on a long mountain grade and it performed as well as a gas F250 with a much higher rated capacity. Here is the video. https://youtu.be/TeSFP7gyjnk
Actually the F250 beat it up the mountain with higher gears less HP and torque. and out performed it on the descent also. Regardless Fastlane chose to pull the 8000 lb trailer without a WDH on the f250 , and the factory receiver is only rated at 600 lbs TW and a 6000 trailer. I guess they don't heed limits much either.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #30

I think Fast Lane Truck did it for entertainment purposes only. Maybe 5% for informational, but 95% for entertainment. It's still fun to watch.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #31

calculations

WOW does my head hurt. good info though.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorTaxman View Post
Ok. With the the specs I've provided in my posts, can someone please tell me the maximum size/weight trailer I can safely tow with my Raptor?
No. One important weight is missing. Wet and loaded weight of your truck.

Load the Raptor with all the family, pets, tools, cargo and whatever else will be in it when towing. Include the head of the WD hitch. Go to a truck stop that has a CAT scale and fill up with gas. Then weigh the wet and loaded Raptor. If you don't have the WD hitch yet, then assume the head weighs 50 pounds and add that to the weight of the truck.

Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded Raptor from the 7450 GVWR of the Raptor. The answer is your real-world net payload capacity available for hitch weight. Divide that payload capacity by 0.125 and the answer is the maximum GVWR of any TT you want to consider. (12.5% is the average tongue weight of a TT when wet and loaded for the road. So that's a reasonable estimate to use.)

Example: Your wet and loaded Raptor weighs 6,600 pounds. So the net payload capacity available for hitch weight is 850 pounds. 850 divided by 0.125 = 6,800 pounds. So the max GVWR of any TT you want to consider is 6,800 pounds.

The Minnie Winnie you want is new and no specs are available in normal internet channels, but similar Minnie Winnies have GVWR of 7,000 pounds. So if that RV has average 12.5% tongue weight, that would be 875 pounds. So if you can get the wet and loaded weight of your Raptor down to 6,575 pounds, then that would put you right on the razor's edge of running out of payload capacity, but you wouldn't be overloaded over the payload capacity of the truck. However, that much trailer REQUIRES a good weight distributing hitch,, so buy the trailer with one of these included:

Reese Strait-Line Trunion bar rated 1,200 pounds (more than you have to have, but Reese doen't make the Strait-Line in a 1,000 pound tongue weight version)

Equal-I-Zer rated at least 1,000 pounds tongue weight

Husky Center-Line rated at least 1,000 pounds tongue weight

Blue Ox SwaPro rated at least 1,000 pounds tongue weight

Husky and Reese also make cheap hitches. DO NOT buy a cheap hitch. If it didn't cost over $500 from discount sources, then it's a cheap hitch. (List price of those is around $1,000.)

Those 4 above are the minimum hitch you want to tow that trailer with. It's okay to spend a lot more for a ProPride, Hensley Arrow, or PullRite hitch if you want almost a guarantee of no sway. I have a Strait-Line on my cargo trailer, but I tow my small TT with a ProPride.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

duplicate post
Old 08-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #34

Thanks Smokey. The dealer is installing an Equal-I-Zer hitch. They're charging me $650 which I thought was pretty good and is in line with what I've seen. I looked at the Hensley Arrow, but at $2k+ it seemed like overkill. If I were driving a Tacoma or something less heavy, I may consider it. However, it seems to me that my Raptor will outweigh the TT by at least 1500 lbs and although my truck may be at max capacity, the GCWR won't be anywhere near max. The ONLY number I'll be off is the GVWR of the truck (on paper) - I have to go to a weigh station and see the numbers myself. I have to believe that the manufacturers inflate the numbers a bit, but we'll see I guess.

Thanks for the lesson. I'm trying to convince my wife that the Minnie will be fine, but she just keeps playing that damned video of the 1/2 ton pickup losing the TT on the road from bad sway and it's really making her nervous.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorTaxman View Post
I'm trying to convince my wife that the Minnie will be fine, but she just keeps playing that damned video of the 1/2 ton pickup losing the TT on the road from bad sway and it's really making her nervous.
Good. Uncontrollable sway is a serious problem, so I spend a lot of money to be sure I don't have that problem. Plus I'm extremely careful when towing overloaded.

If you have ever experienced uncontrollable sway, then you'd probably spend a lot of money on a really-good no-sway hitch too. to be sure it doesn't happen again.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:29 PM   #36

Quote:
I'm trying to convince my wife that the Minnie will be fine, but she just keeps playing that damned video of the 1/2 ton pickup losing the TT on the road from bad sway and it's really making her nervous.
LOL...show her the you tube with a late model 3500 DRW pulling a 5th wheel trailer both laying on their side in the middle of the road.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote