Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2015, 10:13 AM   #15

Yeah, you have to keep a good balance. Don't sacrifice what you normally do with your truck for a few trips with a trailer as long as you keep things reasonable and keep your head screwed on straight.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #16

Look for a weight rating on the truck receiver. It may be that it has a lighter than usual receiver. My son has a 2008 F250 with a sticker on the receiver that says 500lb. He replaced it with an aftermarket Curt with a much higher rating. With his issue he only needed to change that one weak link in the chain, you may have this and other reasons for the low rating.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #17

The Raptor is a beast ( I have one too) and can easily pull and stop that trailer. The problem is the rear suspension is to soft. If you install air bags to help with the hitch weight you will be fine.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #18

What is the towing capacity of your Ford?
dog lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:46 PM   #19

Further back in the thread- it's listed at 8000lbs GTW
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #20

Quote:
I have learned that there is an after-market company that has created for the Raptor, a rear bump stop kit that reinforces the rear frame and has integrated Fox bump stops (mini-shocks) that increases the payload of the Raptor to 2600 lbs. Obviously, the door sticker is what it is. However, the engineering behind this kit is good and it's from a reputable company.
Good plan.
As was mentioned the Raptor rear suspension was detuned with lopwer spring rates for a softer ride (3500-3800 RAWR).
I notice the Raptor has a larger diameter 1.46 /35 spline axle vs the F150 HD model with a 1.33 diameter/33 spline. The Raptor just needs more beef in the rear spring pack.
good luck on your new project
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:06 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
The engineer in me is saying basically from the feedback given this is a mismatched TV/TT combination. $$$ mods will not change the legal tow ratings and non-conformance. Simpler approach would be to get a TT that stays within the means of the TV. Give some concern to road risk and safety reserve to avoid unforeseen problems.
Good luck with your outcome.
Onstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onstar20 View Post
The engineer in me is saying basically from the feedback given this is a mismatched TV/TT combination. $$$ mods will not change the legal tow ratings and non-conformance. Simpler approach would be to get a TT that stays within the means of the TV. Give some concern to road risk and safety reserve to avoid unforeseen problems.
Good luck with your outcome.
I understand the concerns raised here, but if I use the various worksheets available online, the max TT weight I can get would be somewhere in the 2,000 lb world. I think it's ridiculous to believe that this truck can only tow a 2,000 lb trailer.

I think the attorneys at Ford trumped the engineers and told them to reduce the ratings for liability purposes. I know the truck can pull this TT safely. It's just a matter of making sure I have the physical components in place to do it safely. A 27-ft 5,000 lb trailer is really not that big or heavy a trailer for a truck like this. I really do think it's a suspension-related issue that can easily be corrected with a properly installed weight distribution hitch and some hydraulic bump stops to reinforce the rear suspension and prevent it from sagging more than an inch.

I still have to look at some options, but I plan to hitch the TT to the truck with no modifications initially and drive it a little. If I see that the rear end of the TV sags too much or feel the truck hesitate at all, I can address each issue afterwards.

I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:49 AM   #23

The Raptor has the power, engine/trans cooling capacity, brakes (largest F150 brakes ever), wheelbase, gear ratio, brake controller and weight to tow a much larger trailer than it is rated for. It just has soft springs. If you upgrade the springs or get airbags for adjustability the truck will do great.

Fast Lane trucks tested it with 8000lbs on a long mountain grade and it performed as well as a gas F250 with a much higher rated capacity. Here is the video. https://youtu.be/TeSFP7gyjnk
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorTaxman View Post

"I think the attorneys at Ford trumped the engineers and told them to reduce the ratings for liability purposes."
-------------------------------
Thank you for your reply and your concerted effort to make this a safe rig for your family. In doing so you emphasize my point regarding the potential litigious environment one may find themselves if in an accident having to prepare a defense for exceeding manufactured engineered design tolerances, and the potential unknown adverse impacts caused by making modifications to exceed them. Using a "dead reckoning" navigational approach instead of system engineering approach may get one into uncharted waters.

Engineered towing configurations address the tested "end to end" components involved and thus given a "system" load weight rating similar to a chain if you will. The component ratings i.e., GVW, GVWR, CGVW, weight loads/distribution, wind loads, etc. are pieces of the system engineering puzzle. The hard part when setting up for towing is making all this work together as a system by not over stressing any one component.

I don't mean to rant, all I am saying is be careful in your assessment that only the suspension is the "weak link". Anticipate/expect there are other weakness in this system and what is your risk tolerance for experiencing them and when.

Example rough numbers,
My TT is similar to yours @5350 lbs dry + 500 lbs cargo, (I travel light as well) tongue wt 720 lbs (best towing when 10-12% of TT wt)
My E350, GVWR 9500 lbs, GVW 5889 lbs, P/L 3611 lbs. - 500 lbs cargo = 3000 lbs
reserve capacity for hitch loading, tow braking/handling, etc.

RaptorSC, GVWR 7450 lbs, GVW 6210 lbs, P/L 1170 lbs - 500 lbs cargo = 670 lbs reserve capacity for hitch loading, braking and handling.
Note: Any modification to the suspension only, creates an unknown impact to the overall system tow capacity, braking/handling, etc. "Towing safely is more than the desire and having the vehicle with guts to pull a load."

Having a Hummer previously, I dig your truck and 4x4 thing, and considered the Raptor myself but it was not going to work for me.
I wish you the best.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPL...MhcvWVdq13JA0Q
Onstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:07 AM   #25

Always interesting to read when people are trying to put 10lbs in a 5lbs bag.

I agree wholly with the engineer and the lawyer on this in that this is a bad idea. I know you love your Raptor, but maybe time to consider a tow vehicle that is designed to tow the TT instead of forcing the issue. Why mess up your Raptor's sport ride for a trailer that won't be behind it most of the time?

Good luck. Remember, just cuz it can does not mean it should.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:21 AM   #26

Carolina Campers
Am I overthinking this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorTaxman View Post
... Am I overthinking this? ... Am I missing something here? ...

Yes
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:29 AM   #27

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Lots of numbers you are playing with. Look at the ford towing specs for your truck not all the numbers on the door plate.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #28

Ok. With the the specs I've provided in my posts, can someone please tell me the maximum size/weight trailer I can safely tow with my Raptor?

We are shopping for trailers and my wife and I agree the Minnie 2455 may be too much trailer for our Raptor.

Thanks.