Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #1

Amsoil in TV

Has anyone used Amsoil in there diesel if so did you or are you having good luck with it?
Fsufreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #2

Never owned a diesel thus no experience there

Have used it in several other applications, excellent products

Also a fan on redline and Royal purple
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #3

Million of diesels run for millions of miles with regular oil.

You will probably have the same luck? with regular oil as Amsoil.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #4

Shell Rotella T.....only oil I used in my diesel...all three I have owned...change every 5000 miles no matter what.....

Mk
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #5

Yes, I used Amsoil in my Cummins. I really didn't notice a lot of difference other than I could start mine at 0* without it being plugged in. I am running Rotella T-6 in mine now and it seems to use just a little bit where I didn't notice any usage with the Amsoil. The reason I ran Amsoil was I used to be a dealer, but now I am not. The Rotella is way cheaper than the Amsoil too. BTW, my little Cummins has 294k miles on it so don't let anyone tell you that you can't switch to synthetic oil on a high mileage engine. One thing synthetics do that they get a bad rap for is they clean the engine and remove the dirt and sludge that may have kept dino oil in resulting in a leak you didn't have before.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've been using Shell Rotella and haven't had any reason to change.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:01 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Amsoil is pretty expensive. I use regular oil and spend the difference to get it tested when I change it.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:27 PM   #8

The reason I'm thinking of going to Amsoil is a friend of mine is a dealer and I can buy 4-1 gallon jugs for 69.00,where I now pay 18.00ea for 3-5 quart jugs of motor craft oil, and a bottle of cetane boost fuel cleaner? Thank you for the all of the responses.
Fsufreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
First, stop using the cetane boost fuel cleaner unless your mechanic told you that your engine needed it. Save money there if you don't need to spend it.

Four gallons of Chevron Delo will cost around $45 if it meets the oil type your owners manual calls for. Think what you could do with the extra money you'd be saving, like using it on fuel to go places.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:42 PM   #10

Not knocking Amsoil at all but what I don't like about it is availability can be an issue being it's a dealer only sell. If they had it at Walmart or O"Reilly's I'd thing different.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:30 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The price for Chevron DELO I posted was if you buy the oil at WalMart.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Synthetic oil is not cost effective in a diesel engine. Yes, I'm trained in cost effectiveness. None of the major trucking companies use synthetic engine oil because it's not cost effective. Their tractors will get around 800k to a million miles before the first overhaul using Shell Rotella T or Chevron DELO 400 15w40 motor oil. And they won't go enough past a million miles using synthetic to pay for the extra cost of synthetic oil.

"Cost effective" means total cost over the long haul. Synthetic motor oil includes Amsoil, Mobil 1, or any other major oil company brand of full-synthetic oil. Amsoil is a brand name with a different marketing plan, but it is no better than any other major brand of full-synthetic motor oil.

Instead, use the industry standard Shell Rotella T or Chevron DELO 400, and religiously change the oil and filter per your Owner's Guide. Your engine will last just as long as the folks spending the extra money for synthetic motor oil.

One exception is if you live in really-cold country. In that case, run 5W30 when high temps for the period are expected to be less than freezing. Back when I ran a diesel tow vehicle, nobody made dino motor oil with less viscosity than 10w30, and the 10w30 Shell Rotella T or DELO 400 was not stocked by retailers in the warmer parts of the USA such as west Texas. I haven't looked lately, but I suspect that's still true. Cranking a cold engine at zero degrees F. and warming it up to operating temp causes high wear on the rings and cylinder walls, so for that you need the decreased viscosity of the 5W oil which is available only with synthetic.

Yes, I ran synthetic motor oil a few times just to see if it made any difference in the performance of my diesel engine. It didn't. And my Blackstone oil analysis reports came back identical to what they were when I ran Rotella T.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #13

I never could justify the cost. Good as any but just to costly.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:59 AM   #14

I used to run Amsoil in everything... still use it in differentials and such. In the motor (cummins for me) I like Rotella T6. My motor came factory filled with synthetic. Also, I only do 1 oil change per year, and it can get pretty cold here... granted I rarely drive the truck in the winter, but I want to be prepared to do so should a need arise. I also wait to buy oil when it goes on sale... local farm store runs a deal on it about quarterly... 19.99 + 5 mail in... so I am getting Rotella T6 for 14.99/gal.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote