Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #1

Andersen Hitch

Just put an Andersen tripod hitch ie: the ultimate 5th wheel solution on and took it for a long ride. This thing is rock solid with NO noise or bucking or chucking. I have a short bed Ford 350 and I can get to what looks like 85 degrees before I got nervous about the cab. My Pull rite slider could do 90 degrees and still had 4 inches to cab but it is now officially retired. I can pick it out or install it in the bed myself at 66 years old and can connect at any degree turn. So this means 200 lbs out of the bed and 52 lbs back in. I can`t believe any one would buy the old technology now I mean this thing is just to easy to connect and unhook and it hooks to the standard rails, just pop it in and go. Got the safety chains too they just clip on pin box.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 05:18 PM   #2

Glad that it works for you. I always unhook because it is so easy to hook up. I take this time to top up the tanks, etc.

rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
Just put an Andersen tripod hitch ie: the ultimate 5th wheel solution on and took it for a long ride.
Sounds like you have the rail mount Andersen and not the gooseneck. How did you install the king pin adaptor, King Pin forward or rear?

I'm strongly considering an Andersen but do like the benefits of a slider with a short bed truck. And finally, what did you do with your slider?
Old 09-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #4

Seems as though those that have the Anderson Hitch like it. I can't recommend it. My coach is too heavy for one. I also no longer own a LDT. If you need a slider though, that is what I would buy. Hitch area is not somewhere to cheap out on.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #5

I just purchased a FR Wildcat 28 SGX and went with the B&W turnball gooseneck hitch and an Andersen Ultimate Aluminium, safety chains to be installed next week.

We put about 200 miles on it this weekend. Outside of when I drove tractor-trailers years ago in the oil field I do not have any experience with fifth wheel hitches.

That said I have been very pleased with what I have. Easy to hook up and drop from.
Going down the road there is very little if any noise from the unit. When starting and stopping there is no thud or clunk.

I need to purchase a torque wrench so I can properly mount it when needed.
Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #6

Does the Anderson make noise?
Old 09-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Does the Anderson make noise?
No noise. There is nothing about it to make noise.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #8

Anderson may be great never used one. But the Trailer Saver Air Ride hitches are the way to go. Towing Capacity or Pin Weight never an issue again. 32K trailer weight and 7500 pin weight with the 3rd air bag option. Standard 2 bag is 5K. Heavy 5ver or light one.