Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Andersen WD Hitch

Hello All, In my never ending quest to learn as much as I can, and everchanging my mind on what I want, LOL. What are your thoughts or experiences with the Andersen WD Hitch. In the past I have always used the standard spring bar/chain style WD hitch. I have never been a fan of the "friction" style WD/Sway control hitches. Although, I know they are a good thing especially in certain setups. I have seen some Andersen's in the past and not put much thought to them. Last night I was looking at some Andersens and I think for the money I really like how they setup and how they work. Just wondering if those that have them like them. Thanks
Flagstaff206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #2

I have the equalizer (friction style) and I love it. I feel no sway at all pulling my Toy hauler (about 8k lbs). But then again I have never had a different style, so take my input with that in mind.
avigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:39 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Lots of folks seem to like the Equalizer brand hitch.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #4

The guys on tfl truck "the fast lane truck" on YouTube use the Anderson a lot and seem to like it. It seems like it would put a lot of horizontal pressure on your ball and trailer coupler.
NDIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDIrish View Post
The guys on tfl truck "the fast lane truck" on YouTube use the Anderson a lot and seem to like it. It seems like it would put a lot of horizontal pressure on your ball and trailer coupler.
Yeah, I follow fast lane and have seen them use them. I had not thought about the horizonal pressure. I guess since the ball turns with the coupler, it shouldn't cause any wear issues but possibly some stress though.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:21 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have about 15,000 miles on my Andersen WDH. We recently completed a trip to Alaska using the Andersen. It had been trouble free until we left Tok, Alaska for Valdez. The hitch head quit tracking with the trailer. We’re not sure why but suspect water intrusion into the head from washing the truck and trailer at Tok. We contacted Andersen and without hesitation they shipped a new hitch head to us. They asked where we would be in three days and for an address to ship to. The hitch arrived 3 days later, at no charge to us and we have had no issues since. We really appreciated the service from Andersen Hitches. We went to them because our TT seemed to porpoise and my DW was not happy ( something about having to wear a sports bra when traveling ). I had heard from others on the forum that the Andersen reduced or eliminated the porpoising so I bought one. Huge difference, almost completely reduced the porpoising. When I was researching the hitch I contacted Andersen directly and they answered a lot of my questions. When I asked if they had any problems with the WD moving weight forward, they told me they had had complaints from owners of light trucks towing long heavy trailers.
I really like the simple install and I don’t need to adjust it as much as the E2 I had before. Best of all for me is that I can carry the head with one hand. That’s a big deal for me as both my shoulders are not good. No more bars because the chains just swing up over the frame. Drawbacks... it can be a bit of PITA to hookup if you didn’t unhook with truck straight with the trailer. The first time it happened with me I said oh my goodness a few times before getting it hooked up properly. Now that I have hooked up and unhitched many times I know how to handle it so it’s not a big issue.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I've put just under 23K miles on the Andersen in the last 4 seasons and outside of 1 issue with a defective friction cone it's performed very well. It provides a nice stable tow and the sway control is excellent as well. It's easy to hook up and adjust - even the DW can do it by herself.

My experience with Andersen support has also been very good - they shipped me at no charge the replacement friction cone. Looking to upgrade to a larger trailer in the next year or two but will be sticking with the Andersen.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:17 PM   #8

Count me as another satisfied Andersen user.
Simple self installation as long as you have large wrenches to torque things to spec. Learning curve is pretty quick using it as well. As long as you don't stretch the chains to their absolute max when installing, you can give yourself some decent latitude of being less than perfectly straight when hooking back up.
Pulling 20ft abt 4000# pounds with 700 plus on the tongue behind a short bed f-150 with never any hint of instability. Semis might give you a sense of sucking you in and pushing you out a bit but it moves the truck and trailer together. There is no tail wagging the dog with this setup.
Did 7000 miles this summer with it from northern AZ to New York then back across the northern tier turning south in the Dakotas through Colorado and northern New Mexico. Good variety of traffic, road, and wind conditions without a single white knuckle moment
lamokadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #9

38 ft 11000 lbs tt. Tow with 3/4 ram with Cummins. I love my Anderson. Hitch. Easy to setup. Easy to use and on the rare occasion that I need a different adjustment. Very easy to tighten the hitch compared to the e2 or e4. Used mine over 4000 miles this year. All with cruise set at 70 mph. No sway and easy to control.
kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemcmahon1 View Post
38 ft 11000 lbs tt. Tow with 3/4 ram with Cummins. I love my Anderson. Hitch. Easy to setup. Easy to use and on the rare occasion that I need a different adjustment. Very easy to tighten the hitch compared to the e2 or e4. Used mine over 4000 miles this year. All with cruise set at 70 mph. No sway and easy to control.
Wow. That's a massive TT especially not being a 5er. I have occasionally read posts by Andersen nay sayers claiming that they would be trailer size/ weight limited, but obviously not looking at your application.
I'm currently looking to upside our TT to the 7k / 28ft range and was thinking I'd need to replace the Andersen with possibly the Propride style.
Your successful application might suggest not
lamokadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #11

I have a 32'7" trailer at 11,700lbs GVWR. I bought the 14,000lb Anderson and do not regret it at all. Sets up easy, as someone else mentioned make sure the truck and trailer at the same angle when reconnecting as when you last disconnected. I don't notice any porpoising at speed unless directly inflicted by the road (dumb CA highways) but you just modulate your speed and most of that is reduced. As Lamokadave said, semis can pull you in or push you out, but the whole truck and trailer moves as one, and it isn't a sudden move, more gradual and easily compensated for.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamokadave View Post
Wow. That's a massive TT especially not being a 5er. I have occasionally read posts by Andersen nay sayers claiming that they would be trailer size/ weight limited, but obviously not looking at your application.
I'm currently looking to upside our TT to the 7k / 28ft range and was thinking I'd need to replace the Andersen with possibly the Propride style.
Your successful application might suggest not

The na sayers are speaking from no knowledge. If they had knowledge then they would not say it. Because it does work. The Anderson is rated at 14,000 lbs and 1,400 lb of tongue weight. Buy and enjoy with no worries.
kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am pulling a 32ft ORV that is 8900 lbs. No issues with it but I’m pulling with a 3500 CTD.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks for everyone's input. When the time comes I will definitely be looking hard at the Andersen.